Why the maxSession is both in hub config file and node config file

Summer Zhang

May 10, 2018, 3:16:38 AM5/10/18
to Selenium Users
Why the maxSession  is both in hub config file and node config file, and in both the 2 files, the maxSession has the same meaning, so which one will control the number of tests at last.

 -maxSession        <Integer> max number of tests that can run at the same time on the node

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝

May 10, 2018, 3:22:51 AM5/10/18
to Selenium Users
I believe that maxSession is an attribute that is applicable only to the hub.

Ideally speaking if this value is set at the Hub level, then it becomes applicable to all nodes.
That is, if I set a maxSession as 10 at the hub and if the hub has 20 nodes wired to it, then every node essentially will support only 20 concurrent sessions at any given point in time.

The reason why its been exposed at the node level is to allow the users to override this for a particular node.

For e.g., you may have wired in an appium node that supports iOS automation from a Mac. You may have wired in only 1 device to the mac and so you would want to restrict only 1 test to be executed on that node alone. But for every other node, you may want the maxSession to be still 20. So only for Mac appium node, you can pass in a value of 1 as maxSession, and it would be affected only for that node.

I haven't tested this theory, so I dont know if it works that way. But in my understanding that would be the intent behind providing the same parameter at both the hub and the node level.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 12:46 PM, Summer Zhang <amberq...@gmail.com> wrote:
Why the maxSession  is both in hub config file and node config file, and in both the 2 files, the maxSession has the same meaning, so which one will control the number of tests at last.

 -maxSession        <Integer> max number of tests that can run at the same time on the node

Summer Zhang

May 14, 2018, 10:58:57 PM5/14/18
to Selenium Users
Got it, thanks, Krishnan Mahadevan.

在 2018年5月10日星期四 UTC+8下午3:22:51,Krishnan Mahadevan写道: