Selenium HTML Runner Documentation

Shunt

Sep 18, 2016, 8:20:30 AM9/18/16
to Selenium Users
Can anyone point me in the direction of any documentation for the new Selenium 3, Selenium HTML Runner?

Or help me with this:

With Selenium 2 I used to be able to run the following from cmd line or .ps1, how can I do this with Selenium 3?

java -jar selenium-server-standalone-2.53.1.jar -htmlSuite "*firefox [path]" "http://ci.domain.com/" $specFileName $resultFileName

Kory Grandy

Oct 19, 2016, 4:30:31 AM10/19/16
to Selenium Users
java -jar selenium-html-runner-3.01.jar -htmlSuite "*firefox [path]" "http://ci.domain.com/" $specFileName $resultFileName

Shunt

Nov 13, 2016, 1:36:41 PM11/13/16
to Selenium Users
Thanks. This would suggest that all I need to do is download the new jar and change the path e.g.

Old
 java -jar C:\Selenium\Server\selenium-server-standalone-2.53.1.jar -htmlSuite $browserAgent $ciServer $specFileName $resultFileName

New
 java -jar C:\Selenium\Server\selenium-html-runner-3.0.1.jar -htmlSuite $browserAgent $ciServer $specFileName $resultFileName

However, I now get an error:

Exception in thread "main"
java.nio.file.InvalidPathException: Illegal char <:> at index 9: firefox C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe.results

dwil...@intecrowd.com

Jun 12, 2017, 11:52:46 PM6/12/17
to Selenium Users
Did anyone ever point to the documentation, as requested in the OP?

I put an Issue (https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/selenium/issues/4153) for missing documentation in the GitHub project, but they closed it as a question and referred me here.

Now, I have another question: How do I prove that there is no documentation so that I may enter an Issue, rather than asking if there's documentation?

Me: Dear developers, there is no documentation for this non-trivial piece of software.
Them: Prove it.
Me: Um... I can't find the documentation.
Them: That's *your* problem.
Me: True.

Krishnan Mahadevan

Jun 13, 2017, 12:19:37 AM6/13/17
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

David,

While someone helps you with the information that you are looking for, I was wondering if you could please help elaborate as to what sort of documentation are you looking for? Maybe that would help someone to share some additional information for you on this.

I noticed that there’s some basic help built into the standalone runner jar itself, which can be viewed when you run:

09:47 $ java -jar selenium-html-runner-3.4.0.jar -help

Usage: <main class> [options]

    -help, --help, -h

       This help message

       Default: false

  * -htmlSuite

       Run an HTML Suite: '*browser' 'http://baseUrl.com'

       'path\to\HTMLSuite.html' 'c:\absolute\path\to\my\results.html'

    -timeout

       Timeout to use in seconds

       Default: 30

    -userExtensions

       User extensions to attempt to use.

Would that suffice ?

Thanks & Regards

Krishnan Mahadevan

dwil...@intecrowd.com

Jun 14, 2017, 12:13:43 PM6/14/17
to Selenium Users
Krishnan,

Thank you for attempting to be helpful. I had found that, but it's not sufficient. I have lots of questions that the documentation might answer, and have made discoveries by my fumbling attempts to use the tool that the documentation might have helped me avoid or understand.

Examples:

What are the valid values for '*browser'? What are the dependencies? How do I handle common errors? One of my Selenium IDE actions is to "hit enter on the keyboard", but it's not working in HTML Runner. How do I "hit enter" in a way that works in both interpreters? An 'HTMLSuite' page without a path gets interpreted as a page in 'baseURL'. 'results.html' looks like a file, but it's a directory.

I really want the documentation. If there *isn't* any documentation, it seems premature for http://docs.seleniumhq.org/download/ to say: "To run Selenium tests exported from IDE, use the Selenium Html Runner." Because, at least for me and my use cases, without documentation, it's not possible to use it. maybe "try" would be a better word, setting more appropriate expectations.

--David

Krishnan Mahadevan

Jun 14, 2017, 12:22:49 PM6/14/17
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

David,

If you could please help call out your questions as bullet items, I can try looking at the code and answering them for you (to the best of my abilities).

Maybe somewhere down the line, once we have sufficient answers to all your questions, we could think of creating a pull request and sending it as a delivery to the Selenium documentation project viz.,

I am not sure which of these are the documentation project going forward (I believe it’s the latter one)

dwil...@intecrowd.com

Jun 14, 2017, 1:08:37 PM6/14/17
to Selenium Users
If there's no documentation for HTML Runner, then we could do that and it would be a great way to contribute to the Selenium project (if the maintainers accept the contrib).

If there *is* documentation, but it's missing parts, we could optimize our time-spend by writing PR's against it.

But, if there is documentation, and we start working on this without reviewing it, at least some of our time will be wasted.

Hmm... I suppose we should start by getting a qualified answer to whether (and where, my original question) the documentation for Selenium HTML Runner exists.

Maybe picking through the commits, to find the contact information for recent and frequent committers to HTML Runner and asking them directly would be a good way to get a qualified answer. I don't know enough about Java to be able to trace back from 'selenium-html-runner-3.4.0.jar' to the relevant files in the repo. Do you? The commits and committer information should be easy once the source files are located. If the programmers don't answer or they too are ignorant of the existence/location of the documentation, this problem cannot be solved efficiently.

Krishnan Mahadevan

Jun 16, 2017, 12:20:36 AM6/16/17
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

David,

This is the main runner client from which your execution would kick off.

Commit history on this java class shows that mostly its been either Simon (the project lead for WebDriver) or Alexei (part of the core dev for Selenium) who been touching this class.

You should be able to talk to them on the IRC Channel for selenium to get some answers.

Milan Masek

Nov 7, 2017, 11:14:23 PM11/7/17
to Selenium Users
Too sad. You might find helpful my experience with selenium-html-runner-3.7.1
Please refer to an update of https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/selenium/issues/4153