what is the difference between webdriver click() and actually clicking with mouse

Allen Ashe

Jun 15, 2017, 12:39:32 AM6/15/17
to Selenium Users
My developers have upgraded to use Vaadin 8.0 and now a number of tests that were working with Vaadin 7 are having "problems".

One example of this is with a Select list.  They did change it from a single select to a multi-select list.
If using the mouse you need to held down CTRL or SHIFt to select multiple items.
But when I use the Select.selectByValue(value) it does a multi-select as if I was holding down the CTL key.
Looking at the code in the selectByValue() method it actually performs a click() method.

I also have some buttons and some checkboxes where I click() on them and then when the page refreshes it acts like the click never happened.

It this on all of the browsers I've test on: Chrome, IE, Firefox, and Edge.

I'm suspecting the Vaadin 8 controls are expecting some event that the Vaadin 7 ones did not.

So, what is the difference between a webdriver click() and an actual mouse click?

Allen Ashe

Jun 15, 2017, 1:33:13 PM6/15/17
to Selenium Users
Ok after sleeping on it and further investigation it looks like these some of these are bugs in the Vaadin 8 controls and others are my misunderstanding of how other Selenium methods work.