IntellIJ Vs Eclipse IDE for Selenium Java?

sirus tula

Oct 25, 2012, 10:13:17 AM10/25/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Hello Selenium Experts,

After working almost 3 years with Selenium C# in VS Studio, I have been told to use Selenium with Java so i'm contemplating between IntelliJ or Eclipse for the IDE environment as the developers here use Java and the manager wanted to have the standard of same programming language although i think it doesn't really matter. But i'm not in a position where i can argue with my manager.

So anyway, Between IntelliJ & Eclipse, Which one would you think is better and why?

Btw, I have used Eclipse little bit and kinda familiar with it.

If you would jot down your experiences about each of them, their advantages and disadvantages, that would be great.

--

- "If you haven't suffered, you haven't lived your life."

Thanks,

Sirus

Karthik Kulkarni

Oct 25, 2012, 10:15:48 AM10/25/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
go for eclipse it is open source . exp in eclipse is good on resume

Syed Sayem

Oct 25, 2012, 10:34:17 AM10/25/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Personally I prefer IntelliJ IDEA over Eclipse. I used them both of them, IMO, IntelliJ IDEA is way powerful than Eclipse, It has the best autocomplete (intellisense). I think the Ultimate license cost $199 and is worth every penny

David

Oct 25, 2012, 2:52:47 PM10/25/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Bear in mind, that except for standardization across the organization, you're still free to use whatever IDE you want. All Java projects work the same with a src & bin folders and other related folders. Each IDE creates its own IDE project/workspace files as well.

You should be able to use same source files within it's hierarchy of folders easily among the different Java IDEs. Just make sure to avoid confusion and issues, don't check in project/workspace files from the non-standardized IDE in your organization. Everything else will work fine.

Also to note, even with (semi?) standardization of IDEs/editors, you may still find some developers that deviate, so I see no reason why QA can't do the same. As long as it doesn't interfere with others in the team, use whatever IDE you prefer.

Mark Collin

Oct 25, 2012, 3:08:20 PM10/25/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

Eclipse sucks, IntelliJ IDEA all the way IMHO.

The big two things for IntelliJ are:

·         Things just work out of the box

·         Amazing refactoring support (You really have to use it to understand just how good it is)

Mark Collin

Oct 25, 2012, 3:08:57 PM10/25/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

Also the Community edition is free and very powerful as well.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/selenium-users/-/4Dt-tvu76SYJ.

sirus tula

Oct 30, 2012, 12:16:11 PM10/30/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Everyone for your suggestions.

Thomas Sundberg

Oct 30, 2012, 12:37:51 PM10/30/12
On 25 October 2012 16:13, sirus tula <selenium...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Selenium Experts,
>
> After working almost 3 years with Selenium C# in VS Studio, I have been told
> to use Selenium with Java so i'm contemplating between IntelliJ or Eclipse
> for the IDE environment as the developers here use Java and the manager
> wanted to have the standard of same programming language although i think it
> doesn't really matter. But i'm not in a position where i can argue with my
> manager.
>
> So anyway, Between IntelliJ & Eclipse, Which one would you think is better
> and why?

IntelliJ IDEA because life is to short for Eclipse.

They are both open source and if you place the specs next to each
other they are equal. But when you start working with them you will
notice a large difference.

/Thomas

> Btw, I have used Eclipse little bit and kinda familiar with it.
>
> If you would jot down your experiences about each of them, their advantages
> and disadvantages, that would be great.
>
> --
>
> - "If you haven't suffered, you haven't lived your life."
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sirus

Thomas Sundberg
M. Sc. in Computer Science

Mobile: +46 70 767 33 15
Blog: http://thomassundberg.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @thomassundberg

Better software through faster feedback

sirus tula

Oct 30, 2012, 1:39:31 PM10/30/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Good point, Thomas.

Is the community edition of IntellIJ enough for automation via selenium though?

Thanks,

Thomas Sundberg

Oct 31, 2012, 5:49:17 AM10/31/12
On 30 October 2012 18:39, sirus tula <selenium...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good point, Thomas.
>
> Is the community edition of IntellIJ enough for automation via selenium
> though?

Yes it is. Actually, more then enough. You need to write some easy to
maintain Java code and that is what Idea is all about.

/Thomas

Ripon Al Wasim

Oct 31, 2012, 7:38:17 AM10/31/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
hi,

I am using Eclipse for Selenium (WebDriver) code with Java. Eclipse is smooth for this, not bad. I did not use IntelliJ, so i don't know about that. But considering costing, Eclipse is preferable as it is open source.

BTW, As IntelliJ costs some penny, it should be better than one of open source.

Ripon Al Wasim

Thomas Sundberg

Oct 31, 2012, 8:19:34 AM10/31/12
On 31 October 2012 12:38, Ripon Al Wasim <ripona...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am using Eclipse for Selenium (WebDriver) code with Java. Eclipse is
> smooth for this, not bad. I did not use IntelliJ, so i don't know about
> that. But considering costing, Eclipse is preferable as it is open source.

In what way is Eclipse cheaper then the Community version of IntteliJ
IDEA? They are both open source and free.

http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/

/Thomas

sirus tula

Nov 5, 2012, 12:03:44 PM11/5/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Thank you everyone specially Thomas Sundberg for detailed explanation. I did install Eclipse and IntelliJ and played around with both of them. Comparing both of them, I liked IntelliJ as it was easier to integrate with Maven easily while for eclipse, it took lot of time to make it work with maven. So i would go with IntelliJ with community edition. Hopefully i would be able to do all the stuff that i wanted with this free community version.

Thanks again to everyone for their valuable input.

Vikram

May 28, 2017, 1:56:25 AM5/28/17
to Selenium Users
Thanks for this mail thread, It helped me to make decision to make a move to IntelliJ from Eclipse.

Regards,
Vikram