IE WebDriver 32/64 issues

John D.

Aug 14, 2013, 10:51:23 AM8/14/13
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I'm trying to automate a test that checks the look of web pages when a certain BHO is installed.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit and IE 9, and controlling the WebDriver from a C# application.
The BHO is 32 bit.

My problems are as follows:

Case # 1
When I used the 64 bit WebDriver, the IE loaded is the 64 bit, hence the BHO which is 32 not loaded, so I cannot check the BHO.

Case # 2
When I use the 32 bit WebDriver, the IE loaded is the 32 bit, hence the 32 but BHO is loaded ok, however, the WebDriver is not working properly.
Even "WebDriver.Navigate().GoToUrl(url);" doesn't work. So I cannot complete the test.
( The 32 bit version of the WebDriver shows "deprecated" message, when downloading it)

Is there any simple (or complicated...) solution for this ?
My options nows are to start installing Win32 OS, or try with IE 10, etc, and hopefully one of these option will work.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards.
JD.

Jim Evans

Aug 14, 2013, 11:37:32 AM8/14/13
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
There should be no issues running the 32-bit version of IEDriverServer.exe on 64-bit Windows. In fact, that's my default configuration, and I run with it successfully every day. It is most certainly *not* deprecated, and a quick glance at the official download repository[1] shows both 32- and 64-bit versions of 2.35.1.

As for navigation "not working", you haven't provided enough detail for anyone to be able to help you. Are you getting any exceptions? Have you verified that IE is properly configured? Does it happen with every site, or just the one you're trying to navigate to?

--Jim

[1] http://code.google.com/p/selenium/downloads/list

John D.

Aug 15, 2013, 11:53:47 AM8/15/13
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
As for the "deprecated" 32 bits, it was my mistake.
I've used the direct link to the zip of v# 2.34.0, which was uploaded on Aug 6th, but was replaced on Aug 12th with v# 2.35.1,
and when I tried to download it, it showed the message "This file has been deprecated. Another file would probably be better. Do you want to continue ?".

And for my problem -
I'm not getting any exceptions.
I can limit my code to 3 lines:

=====
#1     IWebDriver webDriver = new InternetExplorerDriver();
#2     string url = "http://www.google.com";
#3     webDriver.Navigate().GoToUrl(url);
=====

After the 1st line executes, I see IE with page showing: "This is the initial start page for the WebDriver server."
After 3rd line executes, nothing happens with 32 bits version of IEDriverServer.exe.
There's no error or exception, but there's no navigation.
I've tried on several popular sites, and it's the same.
When using 64 bits version of IEDriverServer.exe, everything works as expected.

As for your Q - "Have you verified that IE is properly configured?"
I've checked http://docs.seleniumhq.org, and I didnt see anything except
"Please make sure that this is available on your $PATH (or %PATH% on Windows) in order for the IE Driver to work as expected."

Is there anything else I need to configure ?

I've also checked and saw that IEDriverServer.exe has command line parameter for log: /log-level,
but I couldn't find how to use it from the C# driver. Is there a way to do it ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
JD.

Jim Evans

Aug 15, 2013, 2:03:04 PM8/15/13
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
The project wiki page for the IE driver[1] might be instructive as to IE configuration. As for IE driver logging, you want the InternetExplorerDriverService class to control the logging. Use it something like this (WARNING! Untested code ahead):

InternetExplorerDriverService service = InternetExplorerDriverService.CreateDefaultService();
service.LogLevel = InternetExplorerLogLevel.Trace;
service.LogFile = @"C:\iedriver.log";
IWebDriver driver = new InternetExplorerDriver(service);

[1] http://code.google.com/p/selenium/wiki/InternetExplorerDriver

Yeshwant Murali

Aug 16, 2013, 4:52:14 AM8/16/13
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Please check your browser zoom level is set to 100%. Verify it for both 64 and 32 bit, if not set it and then try.
In one of the lab machines, we too were facing the same issue. Making the above changes, script started working.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Yeshwant

John D.

Sep 1, 2013, 9:49:56 AM9/1/13
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your help.

the code that worked for me for the logs, if anybody needs it, was:
(Note the usage of LocalLow folder, in case u run in protected mode)
                InternetExplorerOptions options = new InternetExplorerOptions();

InternetExplorerDriverService service = InternetExplorerDriverService.CreateDefaultService();
                service
.LoggingLevel = InternetExplorerDriverLogLevel.Trace;
                service
.LogFile = @"C:\Users\{UserNameHere}\AppData\LocalLow\MySeleniumLogs\iedriver.log";

IWebDriver result = new InternetExplorerDriver(service, options);

However there was not to much information in the log.
I gave it a try on a different machine, and everything worked ok.
So it's kind of a happy end.