unable to access 'https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/selenium/': The requested URL returned error: 403

Mark Charsley

Nov 16, 2016, 10:36:46 AM11/16/16
to Selenium Developers
Hi. I'm trying to follow the instructions at https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/selenium/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Step 1 fails with

git clone g...@github.com:mcharsley/selenium.git
Cloning into 'selenium'...
Warning: Permanently added the RSA host key for IP address '192.30.253.112' to the list of known hosts.
Permission denied (publickey).

and the repository exists.

(I get the same if I don't replace "username" with "mcharsley"

but git clone https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/selenium worked OK. So I went ahead with that

I'm now up to step 7. And that's failing with

git push origin NetworkConnectionFix
Username for 'https://github.com': mcharsley
Password for 'https://mcha...@github.com':
remote: Permission to SeleniumHQ/selenium.git denied to mcharsley.
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/selenium/': The requested URL returned error: 403

My account's 2-factor enabled, but I've set up a Personal Access Token with all the "Repo" scopes. Entering garbage rather than a PAT gives a different "Invalid username or password" error, so it's a Authz not an Authn error.

I'm a inexperienced with git, much less github, so it could easily be my being an idiot, but having said that
 - are the instructions up-to-date?
 - is the problem due to my cloning the wrong way?
 - is there some step I missed?
 - do I need to be permissioned somewhere (I'm not asking for a commit bit. Just the ability to upload a patch for review)
 - should I just give up and mail a patch file somewhere?

thanks

Mark

Paul Hammant

Nov 16, 2016, 11:40:24 AM11/16/16
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Can you pair with someone who's github savvy?

Sent from my iPhone

Daniel Wagner-Hall

Nov 16, 2016, 4:13:14 PM11/16/16
to selenium-developers
It sounds like you don't have an SSH private key set up... https://help.github.com/articles/error-permission-denied-publickey/ has details, but basically you need the following:

1) Go to https://github.com/settings/keys and make sure you have a key set up - there are instructions there for how to generate one if not.
2) Edit ~/.ssh/config to have an entry which looks something like:

    HostName github.com
    IdentityFile /path/to/your/private/key
    User mcharsley

Mark Charsley

Nov 17, 2016, 5:35:57 AM11/17/16
to Selenium Developers
Bah found the problem. I fell over at the first hurdle, and never forked the project (which explains why my git clone failed in step 1). So my origin is the master branch, which obviously I don't have permissions to push into.

All sorted now

Mark