Selenium Python API extention to test AngularJS apps - Pytractor

Dmitry Tokarev

May 4, 2017, 10:13:10 AM5/4/17
to Selenium Developers
Hello!
I am posting here to see if anybody is up to adopting Pytractor project on Github

pytractor is an extension to the Selenium bindings for Python. Its goal is to make testing of angular.js applications easier with Python.

It is built on some parts of protractor, the "official" Javascript E2E/Scenario testing framework for Angular.js.

 This API extension is very convenient. The project now has 35 stars and 17 forks on github. Though it doesn't seem like much but it has been maintained for a while. The owner posted a note asking for people to adopt this project:
Unfortunately, due to lack of time and a switch to robotframework-extendedselenium2library this project has been abandoned. Please contact me if you want to take over.

AngularJS framework is widely adopted and being able to easily write UI tests in Python for applications that use would be awesome!

I see quiet a bit of interest in this framework online - blog posts. But nobody had courage/time to take on this Pytractor project which would require Javascript and Python knowledge as well good Selenium WebDriver knowedge. So i thought Selenium Developers are the best people ask to adopt this project.

I see there was already a session in SeleniumConf 2015: "An AngularJS testing framework for the rest of us: porting Protractor to Python" (video and slides with code snippets attached):
https://confengine.com/selenium-conf-2015/proposal/1356/an-angularjs-testing-framework-for-the-rest-of-us-porting-protractor-to-python

Hope to hear back from you soon!

Sincerely,
Dmitry

David Burns

May 4, 2017, 3:58:35 PM5/4/17
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Dmitry,

As the owner for the Python code in tree I am going to say no to this request. The selenium project is here to build the primatives for controlling browsers. Pyractor is a library for building on top of Selenium, using our primatives.

My opinion is that the Angularjs team should take ownership of this if there is a large enough user base. They have given protractor and, seeing as Google is a heavy user of python, doing something like pyractor wouldnt be too much of a stretch for them.

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news.

David

Dmitry Tokarev

May 5, 2017, 1:21:34 AM5/5/17
to Selenium Developers
Hi David,
Thank you for quick reply!
I understand that this project is better be maintained by Angular/Protractor teams, since it's focused on the specific library. Will post a request on their channels.

Thanks for making testing easier with Selenium! Truly grateful for it!

Sincerely,
Dmitry