Code of Conduct for Repos/IRC

David Burns

Apr 24, 2017, 8:06:10 AM4/24/17
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Today I had the unfortunate privilege of banning a Selenium User from Mozilla repos and suggesting my team block them on social media for continued harassment of my team.

Since we have  CoC for our conference I want to extend that to our repos/IRC. Unforunately I fear this person is going to come to Selenium and take out their frustration here. So, if we have to ban them here too, we should have something that says why we are banning them.

We could easily just copy the Rust one, which is really good, and apply it here.

Thoughts?

David

Lucas Tierney

Apr 24, 2017, 8:36:45 AM4/24/17
to Selenium Developers
+1

Simon Stewart

Apr 26, 2017, 5:00:57 AM4/26/17
to selenium-developers
Hi,

I proud that we've not yet had a reason to have missed having one yet. As a project, I think we're pretty good at asking folks who are offending others to desist, but it's good to be clearer about what we do when there's unacceptable behaviour.

Can you please link to the Rust one? And do others think that there are other good examples for us to base ours from?

Simon

David Burns

Apr 26, 2017, 6:14:41 AM4/26/17
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
I thought that I had added it, sorry for not doing it.

Link is https://www.rust-lang.org/en-US/conduct.html

Its lightweight and is used as a inside Mozilla for our diversity initiatives as the CoC.

David

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 1:05 PM, David Burns <david.burns@theautomatedtester.co.uk> wrote:
Hi All,

Today I had the unfortunate privilege of banning a Selenium User from Mozilla repos and suggesting my team block them on social media for continued harassment of my team.

Since we have  CoC for our conference I want to extend that to our repos/IRC. Unforunately I fear this person is going to come to Selenium and take out their frustration here. So, if we have to ban them here too, we should have something that says why we are banning them.

We could easily just copy the Rust one, which is really good, and apply it here.

Thoughts?

David

じょいすじょん

Apr 27, 2017, 6:48:34 AM4/27/17
to Selenium Developers
It's too bad it took something negative to drive to this, but it's good.
Any new project these days should have this on the ground floor going in.
The Swift language project was quick to adopt a CoC, and honestly, it's not different than a license in terms of importance.
Good choice.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 1:05 PM, David Burns <david...@theautomatedtester.co.uk> wrote:
Hi All,

Today I had the unfortunate privilege of banning a Selenium User from Mozilla repos and suggesting my team block them on social media for continued harassment of my team.

Since we have  CoC for our conference I want to extend that to our repos/IRC. Unforunately I fear this person is going to come to Selenium and take out their frustration here. So, if we have to ban them here too, we should have something that says why we are banning them.

We could easily just copy the Rust one, which is really good, and apply it here.

Thoughts?

David

Simon Stewart

Apr 27, 2017, 3:42:06 PM4/27/17
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
I'm away from everything for a few days. Will have a look after the weekend. Thanks for the link!

Simon

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-develo...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-developers/CAPmg_ctA3RfMoujiFZfx8DEuMWfaPrEdiZkBLWNEeAkb6YqFfw%40mail.gmail.com.

Simon Stewart

May 3, 2017, 5:29:00 AM5/3/17
to selenium-developers
Alright. I've had a scan of some of the choices out there on which we could model our own CoC:

Things I feel are important:

* Short and clear
* Covers both email and IRC/Slack-style communication
* Indicates the intention behind the CoC
* Describes a pathway for enforcing the CoC (with the clear statement that this isn't the only way to enforce it)

The Django one appeals most to me, but I like the section in the Rust CoC about moderation.

Thoughts?

Simon

On 26 Apr 2017, at 11:14, David Burns <david.burns@theautomatedtester.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

David Burns

May 3, 2017, 6:42:12 AM5/3/17
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
This sounds fine by me. The Django one is also really good!

David

Ashley Hunsberger

Oct 26, 2017, 7:33:21 PM10/26/17
to Selenium Developers
Hello there,

A bit late to this party. Given recent events in the testing community (and beyond), I'd _really_ like to get a CoC to the project published (not just the conference). Anything I can do to help make it happen? It looks like you have some great working samples and goals, so next steps seem to be:

1. Draft our own CoC
2. Establish communication mechanisms if one needs to report violations of the CoC - to be included in the draft
3. Review (involve SFC for legal advice/blessing?)
4. Publish (where specifically?)

-Ashley

On 26 Apr 2017, at 11:14, David Burns <david...@theautomatedtester.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

Simon Stewart

Oct 27, 2017, 5:53:12 AM10/27/17
to selenium-developers
Those are the steps :) My preference would be a mashup of the Django (clear, easy to understand) and Rails (with it's route to enforcement, and detailing of responsibilities). The SFC can also help us make sure any Code of Conduct is appropriate.

Simon

David Burns

Oct 27, 2017, 6:21:38 AM10/27/17
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
one of the steps missing is a commitee to enforce said CoC and mechanism to contact them but this might all fall under 1)

David

Ashley Hunsberger

Nov 14, 2017, 3:18:44 PM11/14/17
to Selenium Developers
Agreed, David. I intended to cover as part of 2 (establish communication and means of reporting violations), but will specifically call that out in my to do list (this/next week - sorry for the delay!).

On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 6:21:38 AM UTC-4, David Burns wrote:
one of the steps missing is a commitee to enforce said CoC and mechanism to contact them but this might all fall under 1)

David
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-developers+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Ashley Hunsberger

Dec 4, 2017, 10:26:54 PM12/4/17
to Selenium Developers
Hi there,

I took the Django Code of Conduct and tweaked it for Selenium - it's long but my goal is for it to not feel 'forced'. Overall I liked Django's with the friendly, but detailed, language and examples. That said, if you hate it, there will be zero offense taken. There's still a lot to decide (actual process - i used Django's but is that what we want for Selenium?; how to contact people - I tried to call that out where I could remember to; and a committee people should feel comfortable contacting - or alternatives in the event someone on the committee is the 'offender').

David Burns

Jan 8, 2018, 9:39:22 AM1/8/18
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
looks good to me
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to selenium-developers+unsubscribe...@googlegroups.com.

Simon Stewart

Feb 6, 2018, 12:15:24 PM2/6/18
to selenium-developers
Hi,

I've made a few suggestions and comments, but it looks like a really solid place to start from. Thank you for putting it together!

Simon

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 2:38 PM, David Burns <david...@theautomatedtester.co.uk> wrote:
looks good to me

David Burns