Expanding the Selenium Project's Steering Committee

Simon Stewart

Sep 12, 2017, 11:35:05 AM9/12/17
to selenium-developers

Hi everyone,

TL;DR:  We’d like to invite Alexei, Ashley, and Manoj to join the Selenium project “steering committee”. There’s voting for people with the commit bit. “+1” to agree with everything, “-1” to disagree, “~1” if you don’t have an opinion one way or the other. You can also suggest alternatives, or vote on individual suggestions. I’ll tally the votes on 20th September.

Long version:

As you may or may not know, the Selenium project is under the aegis of the Software Freedom Conservancy (the SFC). They focus on the bits of the project that are normally not handled well by OSS, such as financial and legal concerns; if you’d like to know more, this talk by Karen Sandler’s talk at SeConf is a great starting point.

The bridge between the SFC and the Selenium project is the “steering committee”. They’re the ones that ask the SFC to do things on behalf of the project (such as authorising payments to set up Selenium Conf) They’re also the ones that answer emails about sponsorship. If there are decisions to be made, this is done after consulting the Selenium developers, and by the steering committee taking a vote.

Currently, the committee is composed of Jim Evans, Dave Haeffner, and myself. Previously, we had long term committers of the project on there, including Patrick Lightbody, Dan Fabulich, Paul Hammant, and Jason Huggins. We’d like to grow the committee to include some other people who have made extraordinary contributions to the project.

The names below are people that the current committee feel would be a great fit, but feel free to suggest alternatives, or ask for more information. We’re happy to explain and clarify as much as is necessary. As always, we can also discuss things on the IRC channel too.

Alexei Barantsev

Over the past year, Alexei has been responsible for a startling number of commits to the tree, helping making the java bindings and server more stable. He’s merged PRs, triaged bugs, and dealt patiently with issues on GitHub. His commitment to the project is part of what helped us push 3.0 across the line, and to continue to move as fast as we do.

Ashley Hunsberger

Ashley has been a key part of making Selenium Conf a success these past years and will continue to do so as she has recently stepped in as program co-chair. She’s been a fantastic sounding board for many of the key people on the project, has been a familiar face in our community, and is striving to help make the project as inclusive and as diverse as possible.

Manoj Kumar

Manoj has been incredibly active on the mailing lists and IRC channels, helping users and being an exemplar of the community. He regularly runs the Selenium Grid workshop at SeConf, and has shown a commitment to helping make the project as strong as possible.

What we do next

If you think it’d be good to have all these folks on the committee, please just reply with a “+1” to this email. If you disagree with everything, “-1”, and if you don’t have a strong opinion “~1”. If you’d like to be more fine-grained, go for it --- just make it easy for me to tally the votes :)

Cheers,

Simon

David Burns

Sep 12, 2017, 11:38:37 AM9/12/17
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
+1

David

Lucas Tierney

Sep 12, 2017, 11:42:33 AM9/12/17
to Selenium Developers
+1

Diego Fernando Molina

Sep 12, 2017, 12:47:03 PM9/12/17
to Selenium Developers
+1

Diego Molina

Luke Inman-Semerau

Sep 12, 2017, 12:55:49 PM9/12/17
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
+1
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-developers/CAOrAhYH34m4sL6AjQQTkMqs%3DXYTkSkUf9MRJFRD59m6b5JKOHw%40mail.gmail.com.

Daniel Wagner-Hall

Sep 12, 2017, 9:06:53 PM9/12/17
to selenium-developers
+1

p0deje

Sep 12, 2017, 10:36:44 PM9/12/17
to selenium-developers
+1

+1

Dave Hunt

Sep 13, 2017, 9:23:20 AM9/13/17
to Selenium Developers
+1

Titus Fortner

Sep 13, 2017, 2:10:52 PM9/13/17
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
+1

Patrick Lightbody

Sep 13, 2017, 2:14:03 PM9/13/17
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
+3 :)

+1

Jason Leyba

Simon Stewart

Sep 20, 2017, 6:02:32 AM9/20/17
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It’s the 20th, and all the votes have been in favour. Alexei, Ashley, and Manoj, it gives me great pleasure to welcome you all to the steering committee :) Congratulations!

Woohoo!

Simon

Doron Zavelevsky

Sep 20, 2017, 9:34:25 AM9/20/17
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Hurray!

+1
+3 :)

+1

Manoj K

Sep 20, 2017, 9:45:10 AM9/20/17
to Selenium Developers
Thanks Simon.

Cheers,
Manoj

Mike Frank

Sep 20, 2017, 10:16:17 PM9/20/17
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
+1

Alexei Barantsev

Sep 21, 2017, 2:40:12 AM9/21/17
to selenium-developers
Thanks!

Hope we'll be able to help thriving the project.

Alexei Barantsev, Software-Testing.Ru
mailto: bara...@gmail.com
phone: +7 (916) 726-95-55
skype : barancev