Selenium Fellowship

da...@arrgyle.com

Jul 3, 2017, 9:57:41 AM7/3/17
to Selenium Developers
Hey all,

I started this conversation on the IRC channel recently and circulated it with a few of you directly as well. I figured it was time to bring it to this list to make sure we can capture everyone's thoughts/questions and make a decision as a group before proceeding.

Jim Evans and myself have been working on this thing for the Selenium project called the "Selenium Fellowship". Essentially, it offers the project a means to hire someone to work on the project without the burden of a competing full time job.

The tl;dr is this -- we want Simon to be our first member of the Fellowship so that he can continue his work on the W3C spec unencumbered.

There's future potential to have other fellows, or, if Simon ever decides to no longer be a fellow, or roll of the project, we could offer it to someone else. This initiative would be funded by the project, which gets a majority of its revenue from sponsorships. There is also interest from at least one corporate sponsor (potentially more) to contribute to this initiative specifically. And it's worth pointing out that if someone becomes a fellow, there won't be any onus to contribute and get a certain amount of work done over certain timeframes.

For anyone that's curious about the administrative end of the project, you can check out this video from Selenium Conf Austin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be_9UJSj1XU

Questions? Ask! Jim and I would like to work through whatever questions you all come up with and then put it to a vote. If you're simply in favor of what I've outlined above and have no further questions, you can reply with a "+1".

Cheers,
Dave H

Alexei Barantsev

Jul 3, 2017, 11:48:33 AM7/3/17
to Selenium Developers
+1

p0deje

Jul 3, 2017, 11:49:46 AM7/3/17
to Selenium Developers
Great idea!

David Burns

Jul 3, 2017, 1:12:00 PM7/3/17
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
+1

Luke Inman-Semerau

Jul 3, 2017, 2:00:30 PM7/3/17
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
+1

Simon Stewart

Jul 3, 2017, 5:13:11 PM7/3/17
to selenium-developers
I'd like to encourage an open conversation about the idea here, and thank you to Dave for starting it. For obvious reasons, I'm going to avoid voicing an opinion on this.

Simon

+1

Luke Inman-Semerau

Jul 3, 2017, 5:38:21 PM7/3/17
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
> There is also interest from at least one corporate sponsor (potentially more) to contribute to this initiative specifically. And it's worth pointing out that if someone becomes a fellow, there won't be any onus to contribute and get a certain amount of work done over certain timeframes.

I would like to see some kind of Roles / Responsibilities write up for
the fellow (or explicitly if there are none, but if they are given
this fellowship, they should be accountable for something?). I hope
this can be provided in a public place for any not immediately privy
to the project inner workings can find it and understand the role.

I'm also unaware of what we say to sponsors regarding their donation,
but I'd hope we say something along the lines "sponsorship does not
include any guarantee of a bug or feature request being completed by
the Selenium Fellow".
>> > email to selenium-develo...@googlegroups.com.
>> >
>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-developers/4c4324c3-66ab-4ef1-a7d5-5438ff1d39c0%40googlegroups.com.
>>
>> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-developers/CAOrAhYGajDN8KkhHO2Q4WJpzFUZk405q2gFxspsynhD3ow3Y6w%40mail.gmail.com.

Dave Hunt

Jul 4, 2017, 6:36:28 AM7/4/17
to Selenium Developers
+1

Dave Haeffner

Jul 4, 2017, 10:20:49 AM7/4/17
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the input Luke! Agreed on your sponsors point 100%. We are still finalizing what impact the fellowship has on the sponsorship program (e.g., offering direct donation to support this initiative, tie it into the existing sponsorship tier options somehow, etc.). Regardless, it will be explicit that donations do not influence the focus of the fellow(s) to work on specific items or hold them accountable in any way. As for a Roles/Responsibilities -- good point. It's something we've discussed, but are still sorting out what the end product looks like. The goal is for this to be transparent, so ideally whatever we come up with will end up somewhere obvious (e.g., on the website and/or in a post on the blog) and be understandable regardless of context.

>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-developers/4c4324c3-66ab-4ef1-a7d5-5438ff1d39c0%40googlegroups.com.

Michael Braiman

Jul 4, 2017, 10:24:03 AM7/4/17
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
+1

>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-developers/4c4324c3-66ab-4ef1-a7d5-5438ff1d39c0%40googlegroups.com.

Manoj K

Jul 6, 2017, 7:12:21 AM7/6/17
to Selenium Developers
+1

Glad you're making it happen, Dave.

Regards,
Manoj

p0deje

Oct 2, 2017, 6:46:18 AM10/2/17
to Selenium Developers
I’m trying to bring on Toptal (www.toptal.com), which is the company I work for, onboard to join fellowship program. Is there any documents about becoming a sponsor of Selenium that are available online which I could refer to or read? Or should I talk to somebody explicitly about it?

Sathish Shrini

Oct 2, 2017, 6:01:13 PM10/2/17

Dave Haeffner