Home straight for the WebDriver W3C Spec

Simon Stewart

Jul 10, 2017, 12:02:28 PM7/10/17
to selenium-developers
Hi folks,

If you've been wondering how to help with the effort to get WebDriver to be a W3C Recommendation, now's your chance :)

We're working on fleshing out the test suite to allow us to achieve interoperability. It's written in python, and doesn't use the existing selenium APIs, but it's not too hard to hack on. Getting started can be tricky, but if you're on a Mac, I've boiled down the steps for you:

"All" you need to do is find a part of the spec you want to see a test for, and then write that test. The tests should tie back to the spec somehow (either in comments, test name, or some other mechanism) but we can give you feedback on PRs to get you across the line.

When I can, I'll be on IRC the #selenium FreeNode IRC channel, and the W3C's #webdriver channel to try and help with set up issues. There are good folk on both of those channels. Hope to see you there :)

If you're worried about not having much experience, don't worry. Take a look at my first PR: I've not nailed it yet, but it's fun to learn. https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/6505

Cheers,

Simon

Andreas Tolfsen

Jul 10, 2017, 1:19:24 PM7/10/17
to Selenium Developers
Thanks for encouraging more people to get involved!

Also sprach Simon Stewart:

We're working on fleshing out the test suite to allow us to
achieve interoperability. It's written in python, and doesn't
use the existing selenium APIs, but it's not too hard to hack
on. Getting started can be tricky, but if you're on a Mac, I've
boiled down the steps for you:

If you already have mozilla-central checked out, you shouldn’t
have to copy geckodriver to your system path, install nss, or use
the `wpt run' binary at all.

Off the top of my head, it can be distilled down to this:

        % hg clone https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central
        % cd mozilla-central
        % ./mach bootstrap
        % echo "ac_add_options --enable-geckodriver" >>mozconfig
        % ./mach build
        % ./mach wpt testing/web-platform/tests/webdriver

If you prefer git over hg, you can follow the steps in a tutorial I
wrote:

        https://sny.no/2016/03/geckogit

With this you would replace the first step above with this:

        % git clone hg::https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central