Interactive testing with selenium and groovy console

Jan Kester

Apr 24, 2012, 2:16:26 AM4/24/12
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
My main problem with classical selenium-junit approach is, that every time your test scripts face an error, the junit test crashes, and you will need to fix the problem and restart your tests. This long develop-test cycle eats away your time, and makes writing test scripts very frustrating.

In my blog: http://jankesterblog.blogspot.de/ and in youtube movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlfLfLuceWk I demonstrate how you can attach a groovy console to a selenium driver, and write and execute your tests interactively.

Is this something that could be included into selenium project? I think with this kind of tooling, Selenium can gain many new users.

Duplicate of http://code.google.com/p/selenium/issues/detail?id=3787

Patrick Lightbody

Apr 25, 2012, 1:49:16 AM4/25/12
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
This is very cool. I think something like this is how we should think about a future "Selenium IDE" project... would love to see this with a JavaScript-ish language. A Selenium REPL would definitely be nice.

Has anyone else considered this? Adam or Simon? How do you view this as a concept for what we'd like our IDE to become?

--
Patrick Lightbody

Jan Kester

Apr 26, 2012, 5:27:11 AM4/26/12
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
If you want, I can send you a sample maven project so that you can try it out yourself.
Where should I send it to?

Regards, Jan.

On Apr 23, 2012, at 11:16 PM, Jan Kester wrote:

My main problem with classical selenium-junit approach is, that every time your test scripts face an error, the junit test crashes, and you will need to fix the problem and restart your tests. This long develop-test cycle eats away your time, and makes writing test scripts very frustrating.

In my blog: http://jankesterblog.blogspot.de/ and in youtube movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlfLfLuceWk I demonstrate how you can attach a groovy console to a selenium driver, and write and execute your tests interactively.

Is this something that could be included into selenium project? I think with this kind of tooling, Selenium can gain many new users.

Duplicate of http://code.google.com/p/selenium/issues/detail?id=3787

Patrick Lightbody

Apr 26, 2012, 10:39:58 AM4/26/12
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Can you put in a public Github repo and share the link to everyone?

--
Patrick Lightbody

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/selenium-developers/-/RbnJ3nKsmwkJ.

Jan Kester

Apr 27, 2012, 8:06:03 AM4/27/12
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Checked in under https://github.com/jkester/selenium-groovy/tree/master/selenium-groovy-public . Can you access it?

You get it running with:
mvn clean test -P development,firefox,run-console

To run an example script as a junit test:
mvn clean test -P development,firefox,run-script-cat1
For any directory where you want to run a junit test, you will need to create a new junit test, and set the directory name properly.
Then create a new profile in the pom for it.

Hope you get it running ...

Regards Jan.

guru nathan

Aug 12, 2018, 1:56:14 AM8/12/18
to Selenium Developers
Hi Jan, Thank you very much for this. I have successfully implemented a java project and ran by the console using import. Here what problem I face is code change in the project's methods is not reflected. I need for a re-run to launch the console to get the code changes. Kindly help on this.

For example, when I run using console I get an exception then I change in the project which I have added to selenium-groovy-console public project. Now I do not get the changed method invoked. class files are not reloaded.

Serguei Kouzmine

Oct 8, 2018, 6:04:00 PM10/8/18
to Selenium Developers

Hello

On Windows (and possibly unix) platform there existed a way to call Selenium from Powershell via .net client assembly and efffectively it worked vert much like a REPL  - no crash /  rerun during "development" phase

See the project

It was created   a while ago, and it pretty stable.

These days, I am about to look how well it does on a unix platform  , soon
Thanks

Serguei Kouzmine

guru nathan

Mar 24, 2019, 12:02:42 PM3/24/19
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

In groovyconsole (2.4.15) when I do selective run (ctr + shift + R) for a line, I do not see the value for string persists

1) String a = "value";
2) a = "value";

when I do selective execution for line 1 value is not stored in a when I execute line 2 then the object always has the value. Is there any other way to make the string value stored could anyone help on this?

screencast: screencast.com/t/f2DZHKRmKlmn

Thanks,

Guru.