PhantomJS development halted and project to be archived

David Burns

Mar 4, 2018, 7:21:39 AM3/4/18
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I saw this[1] and we should probably think about actively removing support for phantomjs in a few versions time. I know we set it to deprecated but now we see about removing it properly.

David

Sent using Notion

Paul Hammant

Mar 4, 2018, 7:25:22 AM3/4/18
to selenium-developers
Agree, and at the very least print a banner in order to reduce emails and issues logged.

-ph

Titus Fortner

Mar 4, 2018, 12:37:08 PM3/4/18
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Alexei actually removed all support from Ruby bindings last year by
removing it from our build process, and I'm guessing from other
bindings as well. Python might be one of the few that actually still
allows it? :)

Simon Stewart

Mar 4, 2018, 4:22:52 PM3/4/18
to selenium-developers
It's been removed from the Java tree for a long time. Looking at the code, it seems as if the last hold out where there's a lot of support is .Net, where we should mark it as obsolete.

End of an era....

Simon

David Burns

Diego Fernando Molina

Simon Stewart

Mar 6, 2018, 4:33:51 AM3/6/18
to selenium-developers
The development of the PhantomJS support shifted from the java bindings a while ago. It's been a separate thing for a while. Having said that, the capability is still there in the java tree, and marked as deprecated, but that's largely because I'm deeply conservative about removing things. In 4.0, I plan on deleting it.

It looks like the scaffolding is still there for Ruby, Python, and .Net.

The question we have to answer is: does the fact that phantomjs is no longer actively developed mean that people have stopped using it? And do we want those people to stop updating their selenium installations once we drop support?

Simon

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 10:11 AM, David Burns <david...@theautomatedtester.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

Jim Evans

Mar 6, 2018, 7:16:23 AM3/6/18
to Selenium Developers
I’ve a local change that I need to push that marks it obsolete (throws a compiler warning) in .NET. I’ll remove it, probably in 4.1. Or rather, concurrent with a 4.x release that removes a ton of legacy (OSS protocol dialect) code.

Jason Leyba

Mar 7, 2018, 8:49:41 PM3/7/18
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Granted, I'm probably more aggressive than most with removing things, but I really so no reason to continue supporting PhantomJS. Both Chrome and Firefox can be run headless now, so there's a clearly defined migration path for users that want headless testing. If they want to continue using PhantomJS, they can continue using an older version of Selenium.