Creation of Invalid URL within SEEK

Cornelius Knopp

Oct 25, 2019, 4:54:09 AM10/25/19
to SEEK Developers
Hello everybody,

i'm currently facing the following problem:
  • dockerized SEEK Instance is (internally) available via http://url.de:3000
  • Ports 80 & 443 used by another dockerized-software
  • a local nginx is used to forward HTTPS & HTTP via Port 8000 to the local Port 3000
some of the pages do work correctly with the given port, for some links, the port addition is missed. (e.g. for redirection to the startpage after login)

Another example is the following:
In the Browse-Menue, Studies Index is linked correctly to url:8000/studies. When using the link in the Header (Home / Studies Index / Study XY), the port is missing.

Does anyone has the same problem or can help with that?
All other running instances do not show this failure.

Best regards
Cornelius

Stuart Owen

Oct 25, 2019, 12:03:31 PM10/25/19
to seek-de...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I can't think of anything obvious. There is a basic example of an nginx proxy config at https://docs.seek4science.org/tech/docker/docker-compose.html that should just need to the addition of the https certificates and config. I've changed our apache config for some of our proxies and can't see anything special we needed to add. The Site base URL would need configuring (under Admin/Settings and at the top), but this is only needed for cases where the request isn't known and I don't think would affect you.

There was a related fix, inside the container, a long time ago https://github.com/seek4science/seek/commit/d4154cdbdd13d4cb2060bb233cc52b71cd1249b8#diff-68c73b5a79443e53542b651429897b70 but you would need to be using a very old version to still be affected by this. If you are using a fork and building your own container, you may want to check and compare the files in docker/ , in particular docker/nginx.conf .

I'm afraid other than that I can't help.

Stuart.

Cornelius Knopp

Oct 27, 2019, 7:33:10 AM10/27/19
to SEEK Developers
Hi,
i'm already using the mentioned Nginx proxy config. The site-base URL is also set up correctly.
I was using version 1.8.x until last Friday, now I'm using version 1.9.1, both from the official docker repository.

I assume the problem is cnnected with using HTTP and HTTPS on the same port. I will try to seperate it and report if that's it.

best regards
Cornelius
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to seek-de...@googlegroups.com.

Finn Bacall

Oct 28, 2019, 6:02:03 AM10/28/19
to seek-de...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

You might need to add the port to the Host header in your nginx config:

    proxy_set_header Host $host:$server_port;

Cheers,

Finn

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/seek-developers/933f8af6-838b-45ff-879e-b26870230c9c%40googlegroups.com.

Cornelius Knopp

Oct 29, 2019, 8:19:47 AM10/29/19
to SEEK Developers
Hi Finn,

thank you for the hint, it's fixed now. I did not notice this line before, just copied it.

Thanks,
Cornelius

Stuart Owen

Oct 29, 2019, 8:23:06 AM10/29/19
to seek-de...@googlegroups.com

Thanks.

And thanks for spotting this Finn. It seems this needs updating in our docs.

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/seek-developers/2f11763f-8395-465a-8cb0-fd4878a4c5fd%40googlegroups.com.