ebay h89

s shumaker

Oct 26, 2021, 12:46:16 AM10/26/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
There's a nice looking H89 on EBAY in New Douglas, Illinois but seller is uncomfortable opening the unit to prep it for packing.

(EBAY item
224660754981

Considering bidding but before I do, is there anyone on the list within reasonable driving distance (east of St.Louis) that could help prep the unit for shipping?

Steve

Darrell Pelan

Oct 29, 2021, 9:51:32 PM10/29/21
to SEBHC
I hope you won. Sorry that it went so high. I thought about bidding but, not knowing what was inside made me think twice.

s shumaker

Oct 29, 2021, 10:17:48 PM10/29/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Nope.  Didn't bid.   He wasn't interested in doing anything special for packing - basically in a box with popcorn.    I didn't see any point in risking it.

Steve

Steven Feinsmith

Oct 29, 2021, 10:39:18 PM10/29/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
I own H88, H89, H19 (terminal), and H77 (dual floppy drives). My experience with eBay sellers tends to post and say, I turned on, and there was a light on-screen or say I have not tested them. So many idiots pumped the bid, and it went higher than the original price when it was new. The floppy drive(s) belt is worn-out due to age, and there are NO replacement belts available. The electrolytic and tantalum capacitors were NO GOOD. So often, the sellers' separate manuals sell for maximum profit. I know the correct value of H8 through H120. The cost is as much as 50 to 70 percent less. Why? a lot of components or parts were NOT available for replacement. No software is available to run these computers.

I am tired of eBay allowing sellers to abuse the buyers for a sucker! eBay tends to earn profit from fees. Also, make shipping providers get rich by imposing high shipping costs and sales taxes. Our old days were gone.

For a clear example, if you want to buy a 1970 Plymouth Cuda, fitted with a 426 cubic inches Hemi and four-speed manual transmission. You purchased it from eBay. You found out that the vehicle did not have the owner's manual and lost the title in the glovebox. You also found out the clutch system was 95% worn out and could not get the replacement. There was no battery in the vehicle. The fuel tank slushed to the carburetor. It was clear this vehicle was not in running condition.

This idea is the same as any equipment from eBay. I told everyone about eBay sellers. They tend to pick up things from trash and sell it in filth condition.

Fortunately, for many years, I restored all of Heathkit. The S-100 vintage boards and chassis were restored into work condition. I struggled to get documentation.

Steven

Glenn Roberts

Oct 30, 2021, 6:58:03 AM10/30/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Certainly the best purchases are those where you can examine the equipment beforehand, or those from collectors or others you can trust. I’ve been lucky enough to make a few purchases that way. Craigslist is also good, if you’re lucky enough to find something there.

But eBay serves an important role. Yes most sellers are ignorant of the nuances of our hobby and just looking to flip an estate sale find. And yes they almost always incorrectly pack equipment for shipping. But we all know that going in. EBay provides a small army of scavengers scouring countless yard sales to surface what’s out there. As for price: IMO eBay is still the most reasonable metric of what these systems are worth in the open market…

Sent from my iPad

Joseph Travis

Oct 30, 2021, 8:19:57 AM10/30/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Les Bird

Oct 30, 2021, 10:22:07 AM10/30/21
to SEBHC
Building on what Glenn said, with eBay, it's the bidders that determine the price, not the sellers. So yes, what Glenn said about what these machines are worth by using eBay sales is exactly right.

The shipping charges though, yeah, they can be outrageous but that's because the shipping industry has massively jacked up their prices. I shipped an iPad to Arizona using 2 day shipping and it cost me $100. WTF!

For what it's worth, every H89 I bought on eBay (about 7 or so) were all shipped in a box with packing peanuts around it and they all arrived intact with no damage. I even saw the UPS guy "roll" the heavy box out of his truck once.

Les

s shumaker

Oct 30, 2021, 11:55:53 AM10/30/21
to se...@googlegroups.com, Joseph Travis
Thanks!

Unfortunately I can't see those as I don't have a FB act and the marketplace location filter is rather narrow without one.

Steve

Mark Garlanger

Oct 30, 2021, 2:42:50 PM10/30/21
to SEBHC
Steve,

   He is in the Chicago area, and it was local pickup only, no shipping. It was all best offer, but he had his Z100 listed in both the market place for best offer, and another group for $700. Se he may be expecting more than ebay prices, even though it's local only.

Mark

s shumaker

Oct 30, 2021, 2:46:52 PM10/30/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the extra info!

They come and go often enough that something a bit more west coast local will show eventually.   An 89 and a z100 will complete my "fire replacement goals."

Steve