"gaming" demo machine

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2021, 8:57:36 AM9/23/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

My “gaming” demo machine for VCF now has a decent selection of H89/19 games:

:P:sy1:*.abs/b

COMPOSE .ABS    PLAY    .ABS    SPACEWAR.ABS    LIFE    .ABS

REVERSI .ABS    PINBALL .ABS    MUSICK  .ABS    GLOBE   .ABS

BLKJCK  .ABS    DOODLE  .ABS    AFLAG   .ABS    CHESS8  .ABS

YWING2  .ABS    ODYSSEY .ABS    AIRPORT .ABS    YWING   .ABS

MUNCHKIN.ABS    INVADERS.ABS    REBOUND .ABS    WARRIOR .ABS

GRAV    .ABS    PIRATES .ABS    SNAKE   .ABS    SEABATTL.ABS

SKI     .ABS    BUGS    .ABS    MISSL   .ABS    GALACTIC.ABS

MYCHESS .ABS

:P:

My favorites are munchkin, invaders and mychess, mostly because I can at least hold my own on those.  I’ll have to learn at least one of gravitron, ywing or ywing II.  I believe I have paper copies of the manuals for many of these, and I know Mark G. maintains a very nice library.  I believe Alex will be showing Adventure at his table.

A few of these I had trouble getting to work.  I pulled most of these off the jukebox (Les’ archive).  I’ve loaded the full jukebox on this machine so I can always find others and try them out.

The second thing to demo on this machine is the HA-8-2 (sound board).  I’ve pulled together a pretty good selection of .PLA files for that (thanks Terry!)

The third piece, of course, is the HA-8-3 graphics card.  I have a few graphical games for this (e.g. RAIDERS, GOOP and Les’ game) but frankly, as a video gaming machine the H8 cannot hold a candle to the other systems that will be on display in the room, mostly on Commodore, Amiga, and Apple systems.  I will probably focus on some of the HA-8-3 demo programs and particularly on some of the stuff that came with the Lucidata Pascal system.  These do a nice job of demonstrating the general graphical capabilities of the board.

I would like to do something to demonstrate the math APU, which I have installed.  I may cook something up there…

I haven’t had time to play with joysticks or game paddles.  That’s fairly low on the priority list at the moment…

  • Glenn

Les Bird

Sep 23, 2021, 10:31:03 AM9/23/21
to SEBHC
Awesome selection Glenn.

I tried to put together as many of the game disk images as I could find in a single location on the Wiki here:

Complete with links to the associated H8D disk image file.

I see a few games you have in the list that are not on the Wiki such as MyChess. I'll update when I locate those disks.

Les

Glenn Roberts

Sep 23, 2021, 10:35:00 AM9/23/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Volume 5 in the archive (slot 312 on my Jukebox 😊 )

I’ll take a look at that Wiki. Thanks!

image001.png

Alex - K3CIM

Sep 23, 2021, 1:43:32 PM9/23/21
to SEBHC
Glenn   l cannot believe that you dont list "Hunt the Wumpus"  ??

Les Bird

Sep 23, 2021, 9:52:24 PM9/23/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Alex! Haha Hunt The Wumpus is a classic! It is indeed on one of the game disk images.

Les

Terry Smedley

Sep 24, 2021, 1:37:35 PM9/24/21
to SEBHC
Glenn et al:

All sections of the HA-8-3 clone are now running error-free at 16MHz, with a drop-in replacement TMS9928 generating component video (YPbPr) output.

Terry

KALEIDO16.mp4

Les Bird

Sep 24, 2021, 4:53:30 PM9/24/21
to SEBHC
WOW!! That looks so smooth. Really nice Terry. Is there a PCB design for it yet? This is all breadboarded right?

Very impressive. Does the 9928 offer higher resolutions?

Les

s shumaker

Sep 24, 2021, 5:56:21 PM9/24/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Wasn't there a "StarTrek" type game at some point?

Steve

Glenn Roberts

Sep 24, 2021, 8:49:32 PM9/24/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Fantastic work, as usual Terry.  will the “drop in” replacement be able to “drop in” to an original HA-8-3? Pin compatible?  Could that board be made to run faster (at least for graphics)?

The video you shared: was that via component outputs?

Sep 25, 2021, 8:23:36 AM9/25/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

I did write a "live" version of the classic Star Trek BASIC game for my Kaypro 2x, and later adapted it to the H19 (H8/H89). I have not played this H19/H8 version extensively, but used to kill time with it on the Kayro and saw no bugs back then.

http://sebhc.durgadas.com/mms89/strtrk.com

Source code is part of this github repro. Not great "C" code, but have not spent much time cleaning it up.

https://github.com/durgadas311/MmsCpm3/tree/master/games/strtrk/src

Screenshot of it running on my simulator.

Screenshot from 2021-09-25 07-16-44.png

Terry Smedley

Sep 25, 2021, 10:37:01 AM9/25/21
to SEBHC
Les:

No PCB design yet.  I built ADC, sound, and video (RC2014 card) separately, then glued to the H8 using the bus interface logic on a stripped-down 82C55 PPI card.  The APU section can be copied from two previous designs by Norberto.  There are a few kinks in the video left to sort out, but it's close.

The TMS9928 is identical to the TMS9918 except for the component output, so no higher resolution available.  It does require a daughter card on an existing TMS9918 installation to provide the buffers/drivers for the two additional video lines.

Terry

HA-8-3 prototype.jpg
Add-on video driver.jpg

Norberto Collado

Sep 25, 2021, 1:08:56 PM9/25/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Very impressive work Terry!

So this IC can do RGB if using the two additional video lines.

Thanks for the pictures,

Norberto

From: "se...@googlegroups.com" <se...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Terry Smedley <terry....@gmail.com>
Date: Saturday, September 25, 2021 at 7:37 AM
To: "se...@googlegroups.com" <se...@googlegroups.com>

Les:

Terry Smedley

Sep 27, 2021, 9:01:43 PM9/27/21
to SEBHC
The OSSC (Open Source Scan Converter) arrived today.  Combined with the TMS9928 YPbPr component output, the OSSC makes the video output exceptionally good.  The OSSC doesn't accept composite input, so it's an "all or nothing" proposition - to get the crystal clear digital image (HDMI) that the OSSC provides, the TMS9928 must first be installed to get the component video output.  The OSSC also optionally embeds audio in the HDMI output.  From the tiny display on the front of the OSSC, you can see that it has properly recognized a 262-line progressively scanned frame.  It rescales that by line tripling to 720p, which the monitor/tv/projector can easily handle.

As for whether it's worth all the hoopla to get pristine quality 240x192 video?  There will be differences of opinion on that.

I am separately posting video of a projected image on an 8' diagonal screen.

Les, I will attempt to get your CP/M games running on the big screen to show what they look like.

Terry

OSSC_full.jpg
OSSC_projector.jpg
OSSC_box.jpg
OSSC_close.jpg

Terry Smedley

Sep 27, 2021, 9:04:27 PM9/27/21
to SEBHC
The video was taken of a projected image on an 8' diagonal screen.  The Kaleidoscope rectangle portion of the image measures 4' x 5'.  For reference, I stuck my fat head in the picture midway through to give a perspective on the size of the image.  Note that the video is highly compressed for posting - the projected image is significantly sharper than it appears in the compressed video.  I ran the GOOP and RAIDERS games from the HUG disk, and the motion is smooth and the sprites are actually recognizable.  When running those games, the AY-3-8910 audio was rendered through the theater receiver/speakers using the OSSC's embedded HDMI audio.

Terry
OSSC_video.mp4

Les Bird

Sep 27, 2021, 9:16:02 PM9/27/21
to SEBHC
Wow Terry, that is really good quality.

Glenn Roberts

Sep 27, 2021, 9:29:27 PM9/27/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Wow.  I had seen OSSC at VCF East in 2019 and was impressed.  Can’t remember what machine they were demoing.  Your results show that this was worth all your effort congratulations!  I’m sure more cool things will follow!

Sep 28, 2021, 11:33:11 AM9/28/21
to SEBHC
Here is a console put together from (mostly) Adafruit pieces.  It demonstrates all of the interface functionality of the HA-8-3:  Five analog channels:  x,y, and rotation on the right joystick; x,y on the left joystick.  Four digital inputs (red, yellow, green arcade buttons, trigger button on top of right joystick).  Three digital outputs control LEDs on the arcade buttons.  It is wired for now, but it will connect via an XBee RF module (with a reduced number of channels).  To stress test,  it is connected via 20 feet of 28ga 0.05" ribbon cable.  The analog inputs are stable - joysticks show no jitter.

tas
console.jpg

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2021, 11:35:58 AM9/28/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Beautiful!  Would love to see you play Les’ game with this!

On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 6:29:27 PM UTC-7 Glenn wrote:

Wow.  I had seen OSSC at VCF East in 2019 and was impressed.  Can’t remember what machine they were demoing.  Your results show that this was worth all your effort congratulations!  I’m sure more cool things will follow!

Terry Smedley

Sep 28, 2021, 12:30:37 PM9/28/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on getting Les' game(s) up and running.....have to move things around to clear the port conflict with the Z67.

tas

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SEBHC" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/07a001d7b47e%2487172940%2495457bc0%24%40gmail.com.