Samtec Saga: light at the end of the tunnel?

Glenn Roberts

Sep 27, 2021, 8:02:53 PM9/27/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Regarding our ongoing discussion of the Samtec 25-pin edge connectors:

There have been two recent developments on my end.

First I got an email from the Samtec salses rep saying in effect “let us know if there’s anything we can do…” so of course I replied “well, now that you mention it…” and proceeded to tell my (our) tale of woe how our group has been trying to get these edge connectors since last spring.  That discussion got bumped up a bit and I believe I will be receiving some “samples” so those may show up soon.  it sounds like they’ve been suffering from significant factory shutdowns plus supply shortages that have affected their ability to deliver product.  Attached is an internal memo he shared with me – sounds like things are slowly getting back to normal…

Second: back in July I had gotten fed up with waiting for the connectors on back order at DigiKey (since May) and noticed that Newark was showing in-stock availability (in fact their web page still says that):

But the fine print “Supplier Direct Ship” should have been the tipoff.  Because Samtec did *not* have these in stock.  So anyway I got put into a holding pattern there.  But the good news is I just received an email indicating that shipment of my order is imminent.  So I may finally receive the parts I ordered in July (technically back in May since I first did Digikey).  Now if I can only figure out what this means! :

I’m not particularly impressed with Newark…

  • Glenn

image001.png
image002.png
Service Level Update; 9-24-2021.docx

Les Bird

Sep 30, 2021, 8:57:34 AM9/30/21
to SEBHC
Glenn,

This is good to know. Any updates yet? I'm going to be sure to stock up when the suppliers restock.

Les

Glenn Roberts

Sep 30, 2021, 9:13:32 AM9/30/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

I received the items from Newark (that I had ordered back in July) and also some samples that Samtec sent so I’m “stocked up”.

Mouser says they have 38 in stock Mouser BCS

The Samtec guys said things should slowly get better. They’ve been hit by significant changes on both the supply side and demand side and still recovering.  Most of their manufacturing units are coming back on line…

  • Glenn