Paddle Controllers for HA-8-3

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2021, 11:36:13 AM9/12/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Les: I found a pair of Gemini paddle controllers which follow the Atari 2600 wiring scheme.  These appear to have 1 Meg pots in them and provide access only to the wiper and one side of the pot so they provide a resistance from 0 to 1M as you rotate them.  I think I had these sort  of working with my HA-8-3 a long time ago (but lots of jitter)  I imagine with 10K pots and following the NOGDS blueprint we’d get much better results.

I think you had ordered some controllers to experiment with? Did you make any progress?  I guess I could order a few pots and see if I can get these to work reliably.  I believe we could rewire using existing cables and build a DB-9 to molex converter cable to plug into the board. Thoughts?

Do any of your games use the “shot” buttons?  There’s one on each paddle.  We would need to agree on which digital port to connect those to.

Here’s how they’re wired:

https://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/schematics/Schematic_2600_Accessories_High.html

  • Glenn

Sep 12, 2021, 12:49:20 PM9/12/21
to SEBHC
Glenn/Les:

(This from a non-gamer, so take with several grains of salt)

I have used 5K and 10K joysticks in several places with the multiplexer and 8-bit ADCs as used in the HA-8-3.   These were in purpose-built housings for robot/servo/stepper control, so the physical arrangement isn't for gaming - unless you have an enormous lap.  Here's a page from servocity that lists a number of available types, some with buttons/switches (they can be had cheaper from other suppliers):  https://www.servocity.com/joysticks-potentiometers/

I also used the thumbsticks from Adafruit with good results (but my human thumb control is not well developed): https://www.adafruit.com/product/512
If you've got access to a 3D printer, there's a fun project at Adafruit:  https://learn.adafruit.com/joy-controller-feather  (You could skip the feather, and wire the buttons and thumbstick direct to the HA-8-3 - and possibly use a color other than pink)

I will be setting up a wireless joystick box for the HA-8-3 using XBEE modules, by repurposing a previous project to make a wireless joystick remote for the HERO-I robot.  In this case the input to the HA-8-3 will be a voltage applied direct to pins 9/10 of the HA-8-3 connectors, rather than a resistance divider across VREF.

The photo is of a joystick controller for a 6DOF robotic arm.  Conveniently sized for laptop gameplay??

Terry
joystick_box.jpg

Les Bird

Sep 12, 2021, 2:40:32 PM9/12/21
to SEBHC

Glenn,

I ordered a pair of Atari 2600 paddle controllers which should arrive tomorrow so I'll be able to test them when they get here.

The 500ohm pot I wired up last week had zero jitter. It also went from 0 to 500ohm rotated. As long as you hook it up to VREG on the HA-8-3 you'll get proper control in the game.

Yes, all of my games use the "shot" button. In Warlords it is used to grab and hold on to the fireball and when the button is released the ball is freed. In Spacewar it I used to fire projectiles at your opponent. I don't remember which pin I used for the shot button. When I get the controllers tomorrow I'll work it all out and post here and on the Wiki page.

Playing around with some of the other Color Graphics demos on the HUG disks (Raiders and GOOP), they all used the keypad/keyboard of the H19 to control movement. There was no standard back in the day so if joysticks/paddles were used in games it was all probably custom wired by the developer as I did with my games.

I agree, I have DB9 females here so when the controllers arrive I'll wire up the DB9 to plug in to the HA-8-3.

Les

Les Bird

Sep 12, 2021, 3:23:56 PM9/12/21
to SEBHC
Based on that schematic, here are my thoughts on how it should interface to the HA-8-3 10-pin header. Possible that DB9 pin 9 might need to go to joystick 2 pin 10 connector on the HA-8-3 along with DB9 pin 3 to HA-8-3 pin 8 for player 2 control.

PaddleToHA83.JPG

Les Bird

Sep 15, 2021, 8:53:57 PM9/15/21
to SEBHC
Well, no luck trying to wire it up via the DB9 connector so I gave up and cut the cord of one controller and wired it up as follows. Works great but is jittery - although it is jittery it is not bad and the game is 100% playable. I would imagine replacing the potentiometers in the paddle controller with better ones would fix the jitter.

A couple things I discovered.
1. One of the connectors on the potentiometer was open and not connected to anything so I routed a wire from the connector to GND.
2. I could only trace 2 wires to the DB9 so it's possible the wiring inside the DB9 connector was broken.

Here's a pic inside one of the controllers after I routed a wire to GND (soldered to the BLK wire on the trigger button)
ATARI2600Inside.JPG

A pic of the end connector that plugs into the HA-8-3 (1=GND, 3=VREF, 8=BUTTON, 10=ANA-IN)
ATARI2600Connector.JPG

And a pic of the wiring diagram
ATARI2600Diagram.jpg

Terry Smedley

Sep 15, 2021, 11:36:33 PM9/15/21
to SEBHC
Les,

You and Glenn have both mentioned "jitters" in joystick inputs.

Are you mapping the joystick A/D reading to a position (a pixel location), or a velocity (speed+direction)?  Are you using any averaging algorithms in your code to dampen noise?

I have found that with 8-bit ADCs, the software has to do some processing to get a clean signal when trying to eek out +/- 1 bit resolution.

Don't mean to be nosy - just trying to understand your use case.

Terry

Norberto Collado

Sep 15, 2021, 11:56:05 PM9/15/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

One of the connectors on the potentiometer was open and not connected to anything so I routed a wire from the connector to GND.

I think a better connection will be short the unconnected pot lead to the center lead (pink cable) of the pot; remove the GND wire. Then connect a .1uf cap between the center lead (pink cable) and the other side (yellow cable) to smooth out the signal.

Norberto

On Sunday, September 12, 2021 at 8:36:13 AM UTC-7 Glenn wrote:

[...]

Image removed by sender.

Les Bird

Sep 16, 2021, 9:26:41 AM9/16/21
to SEBHC
Thanks Norby, I'll give that a try and see how much improved it is.

Les

norberto.collado koyado.com

Sep 16, 2021, 12:44:06 PM9/16/21
to SEBHC
If this doesn't work, then you can connect one end of the cap to GND and the other end to the cap to the center pot lead. If nothing improves, then consult with Terry S.