Hard sector support in Applesauce.

geneb

Nov 13, 2021, 12:33:35 PM11/13/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
There's a flux-level disk imaging platform called Applesauce that has
recently been working on supporting both Northstar & Heathkit
hard-sectored media based on some original disks I sent the designer.

Here's a screen shot from the imaging software of a successful imaging
run: http://annex.retroarchive.org/images/hdos-flux.png

The cookie images below the sector dump show a visual representation of
what is on each side of the disk - side 2 is of course, blank. :)

It was noted that all the bytes on the disk appear LSB first - is that how
the H-17 writes them?

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
Some people collect things for a hobby. Geeks collect hobbies.

Richard Davis Jr.

Nov 13, 2021, 12:58:44 PM11/13/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Glenn,

LSB first makes sence. The H17 uses a USRT, universal synchronous receiver transmitter, whis is just a synchronouse serial device and sends/receives LSB first. Just like a normal serial port.

Rick

geneb

Nov 13, 2021, 1:10:32 PM11/13/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 13 Nov 2021, Richard Davis Jr. wrote:

> Glenn,
>
> LSB first makes sence. The H17 uses a USRT, universal synchronous receiver
> transmitter, whis is just a synchronouse serial device and sends/receives
> LSB first. Just like a normal serial port.

*gene ;)

Richard Davis Jr.

Nov 13, 2021, 1:18:24 PM11/13/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
G,

I noticed your F15 simulator link.

I was in the Air Force 76-80 and worked onand flew alot, the F15 simulator. Built by Good Year Aerospace. Instruments only in my day. No visual. Never got a patch but had a coffee mug and a tire ashtray.
Almost got a ride in the real thing.

Rick

Mark Garlanger

Nov 13, 2021, 1:50:50 PM11/13/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the bits are reversed. My code for the FC5025 HeathImager has a step to flip the bits - https://github.com/mgarlanger/heath-imager/blob/master/src/libs/disk_util.cpp#L224  That Applesauce device looks nice. Do you have one? What format are the disk images in?

geneb

Nov 13, 2021, 2:16:30 PM11/13/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 13 Nov 2021, Mark Garlanger wrote:

> Yes, the bits are reversed. My code for the FC5025 HeathImager has a step
> to flip the bits -
> https://github.com/mgarlanger/heath-imager/blob/master/src/libs/disk_util.cpp#L224
> That Applesauce device looks nice. Do you have one? What format are the
> disk images in?

Yep. I'd been on a waiting list for nearly a year. Fortunately, I got
one of the new v2 devices. It supports using Apple II drives as well as
34 pin drives. I've used it with an FDADAP to interface to a Qumetrak 842
8" drive as well. For 5.25" and 8" drives, you need to make sure you're
using 1K termination resistors or it won't be able to write data.

The native format is A2R, which is a public domain, fully documented spec
created by the Applesauce designer. The software will output in a few
other formats. I think the next release will include IMD, NSI, and H8D
output formats in addition to the others it does now.

Here's the A2R format: https://applesaucefdc.com/a2r/

Glenn Roberts

Nov 13, 2021, 3:43:13 PM11/13/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Ironically in the "real" world my name is often mis-filed in people's brains (usually somewhere else in the "G" department). I'm often called "Greg" or "Gary". Not sure I've been a "Gene" yet 😊

geneb

Nov 13, 2021, 6:34:19 PM11/13/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 13 Nov 2021, Glenn Roberts wrote:

> Ironically in the "real" world my name is often mis-filed in people's
> brains (usually somewhere else in the "G" department). I'm often called
> "Greg" or "Gary". Not sure I've been a "Gene" yet ?

Give it time. :D