Heathkit ORG-0 card inserted behind CPU board.

norberto.collado koyado.com

Oct 24, 2022, 8:37:16 PM10/24/22
to SEBHC List
Can someone check if the Heath ORG-0 card stays straight when inserted on the backplane? For example, behind the CPU. I'm building a tiny board using similar connectors as the Heath ORG-0 card and I will like to insert it on any slot on the backplane, but not sure if I need to add the leg to prevent such card from flexing into the board behind it. I need the board to stay straight when inserted onto the H8 bus. Any help is appreciated to avoid pcb mistakes.

Thanks,
Norberto

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2022, 9:08:21 PM10/24/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

I no longer have an original ORG 0 board but I do have a few of Les’ H8-64 RAM boards which are only 3-1/4” wide.  One has the SAMTEC edge connectors and one has Molex (like the original Heath boards).  Both seem to stay very nearly perpendicular to the backplane when inserted – certainly no risk of interference with the card behind.  I would still caution against putting such card in the back-most slot as it is only a few mm away from the (grounded) steel power supply cover. As I recall, Heath solved this problem on the Org 0 board by designing it to be installed with the component side to the rear and with a rubber “bumper” foot adhered to the board to ensure clearance.

Having said that, I thought that the “feet” (small extension on the PCB at the bottom) you placed on your shorter boards did a nice job of solving this problem!

Joseph Travis

Oct 24, 2022, 10:51:18 PM10/24/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
It will move back and forth about 1/4".  Keep in mind the width of that board is only 2 3/8" + 1/4" for the connector.

Joe

norberto.collado koyado.com

Oct 24, 2022, 11:13:37 PM10/24/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

OK, I will add the leg to it. Thanks you!

norberto.collado koyado.com

Oct 24, 2022, 11:44:11 PM10/24/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

On seconds thoughts, I think it will work without the leg as it is small. This is how it looks.

This board can use any of the 3 types of connectors.

Thanks,

Norberto

Glenn Roberts

Oct 25, 2022, 6:06:22 AM10/25/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

I’m sure that will be fine.  I’ll be interested to hear what you and Terry are cooking up now!

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 24, 2022, at 11:44 PM, norberto.collado koyado.com <norberto...@koyado.com> wrote:

On seconds thoughts, I think it will work without the leg as it is small. This is how it looks.

This board can use any of the 3 types of connectors.

image001.png

Terry Smedley

Oct 25, 2022, 11:09:41 AM10/25/22
to SEBHC
Glenn:

That is the "Blinkenlights" controller, made neat and compact by Norberto's skilled hand.

tas

norberto.collado koyado.com

Oct 25, 2022, 12:01:21 PM10/25/22
to SEBHC
Good project to learn on how to remove the mask on both sides of the connector to solder a straight angle 25-pin connector.

At the end of the day learned something completely new. 🙂

Norby

Oct 25, 2022, 7:36:02 PM10/25/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

so say more about this third style edge connector.  I’m only familiar with the original (Molex) and the newer Samtec…  what are the advantages of the newer connector?

Good project to learn on how to remove the mask on both sides of the connector to solder a straight angle 25-pin connector.

At the end of the day learned something completely new. 🙂

Norby

norberto.collado koyado.com

Oct 25, 2022, 8:32:07 PM10/25/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
As it is a straight connector it should allow to insert small modules between the two main slots in the new H8 backplane to avoid consuming a regular slot. This new connector is a Samtec straight angle connector. .

Same idea as the Heath ORG-0 card.

norberto.collado koyado.com

Oct 28, 2022, 2:33:46 AM10/28/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Here is the link to the “BlinkenLight” project.

Link: http://koyado.com/heathkit/New-H8-Website/led-controller.html

Norberto

Glenn Roberts

Oct 28, 2022, 5:55:23 AM10/28/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
So since I guess I inspired this latest creation with an observation and a question perhaps I should explain.

The observation was that most of the recent boards developed here have activity indicators on them to show I/O operation, but unless you remove the cover from your system (or have a see-thru lid) you can’t see those during normal use, so they serve little purpose.

The question was: could we create a way to bring these signals to a single location where appropriately labeled LEDs could be installed to monitor activity? As we experiment with new chassis ideas we will be able to locate multiple LEDs on the front panel or elsewhere for this purpose. These could also be housed in a separate box.

Terry Smedley quickly came up with an idea for how to do this and breadboarded the concept, then Norberto laid out a PCB. My understanding is (Terry, Norberto please correct or clarify if I’m wrong) the board drives multiple LEDs (8?) each of which can be assigned to monitor a specific (or more than one ??) port number for activity. In the old days this would have required jumpers or wire wrap pins to assign the port numbers, but Terry’s solution cleverly makes use of a GAL to do the mapping!

This new capability not only allows you to keep track of what your system is doing, it is also useful for debugging purposes. Plus somehow the “blinkenlights” validate that these are “real” computers!

Great work guys!

Sent from my iPad

From: se...@googlegroups.com <se...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of norberto.collado koyado.com <norberto...@koyado.com>
Date: Tuesday, October 25, 2022 at 5:32 PM
To: se...@googlegroups.com <se...@googlegroups.com>

As it is a straight connector it should allow to insert small modules between the two main slots in the new H8 backplane to avoid consuming a regular slot. This new connector is a Samtec straight angle connector. .

Same idea as the Heath ORG-0 card.

Mini_slot.JPG