H89-SERIAL-USB TESTS

norberto.collado koyado.com

May 7, 2022, 6:22:57 PM5/7/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

I just powered up the new H89-Serial-USB on my H89-SBC system and it powered-up fine and it is running the RAM tests. Also, the VDIP1 initialized properly.

I had to remove the FT245RL breakout board as I did an exact copy of the pins on the pcb and when using the right angle connector, I forgot that I needed to rotate the female port pins signals. I will need to build a custom cable to reversed the signals to test with the FT245Rl breakout board.

Next steps:

  1. Boot HDOS from Z67-IDE+
  2. Copy files back and forth to VDIP1 @2Mhz and @10Mhz
  3. Transfer a file back and forth for serial port LP1: (340Q)
  4. Transfer a file back and forth for serial port DCE (320Q)
  5. Connect FT245RL breakout board to PC and transfer a file back and forth.

Thanks,

Norberto

Glenn Roberts

May 7, 2022, 6:57:24 PM5/7/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

That open frame H89 setup is pretty cool. Glad to see our H89 users get something new. They’ve been patient!

Sent from my iPad

On May 7, 2022, at 6:22 PM, norberto.collado koyado.com <norberto...@koyado.com> wrote:

image001.png

image004.jpg

Thanks,

Norberto

norberto.collado koyado.com

May 8, 2022, 1:37:04 AM5/8/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

I checked everything, I think, but it starts to boot from the Z67-IDE+ and then it hangs…..

norberto.collado koyado.com

May 9, 2022, 1:08:53 AM5/9/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

As the Z-67 controller failed, I decided to use the Z-37 controller to continue with the tests.

Now I get Bad command when using the Vtalk89 program. I cannot read the USB flashdrive.

Norberto

norberto.collado koyado.com

May 9, 2022, 1:21:51 AM5/9/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

glenn.f...@gmail.com

May 9, 2022, 8:49:58 AM5/9/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Vtalk is a good program to test with since it’s extremely simple, but see note below…

For console I/O it suspends the HDOS interrupt handler and just polls the console port (350Q) directly:

/* conout - output a character directly

** to the console serial port

*/

conout(c)

char c;

{

     /* Wait for Transmit Hold Register empty */

     while ((inp(CONSOLE+5) & 0x20) == 0)

           /* wait ... */;

     /* Then transmit the character */

     outp(CONSOLE,c);

}

/* conin - return a character directly from the

** console port, return NUL if none available

*/

int conin()

{

     /* check for Data Ready */

     if ((inp(CONSOLE+5) & 0x01) == 0)

           /* return -1 if no data available */

           return 0;

     else

           /* read the character from the port and return it */

           return inp(CONSOLE);

}

It uses the same approach to output to the VDIP device:

/* out_vdip - send a character to the VDIP-1 via the

** specified port

*/

out_vdip(c)

{

     /* Wait for ok to transmit */

     while ((inp(p_stat) & VTXE) == 0)

           /* while bit is low just wait ... */

           ;

     /* OK to transmit the character */

     outp(p_data,c);

}

/* in_vdip - return a character from the

** VDIP-1 or -1 if none available

*/

int in_vdip()

{

     /* check for Data Ready */

     if ((inp(p_stat) & VRXF) != 0)

           /* read the character from the port and return it */

           return inp(p_data);

     else

           /* return -1 if no data available */

           return -1;

}

So it’s reading the VDIP fine but having a problem relaying the console input.

Your console I/o is working fine otherwise? E.g. in HDOS?

It looks like you have a pretty old version of VTALK. When I first developed the Vinculum utilities we were using port 260Q on the H8 version of the card, then the H89 version came out and was using 330Q as the base.  So my workaround at the time was to look at how each command was invoked on the command line (easy to do in C – look at argv[0]).  If it was VTALK I assumed the H8 (260Q), if it was VTALK89 I used the new 330Q base. So both VTALK and VTALK89 were the same executable, they just set the port differently.

We have now resolved this problem and all VDIP users should be on port 330.

You may want to try my newer versions of all the Vinculum utilities (beta 4.0) which fixes all this. Search for “Vinculum (USB) Utilities Ver. 4.0 by Glenn Roberts - February 2022” on the sebhc github software page:

https://sebhc.github.io/sebhc/software.html

these all default to the new port number but you can always override that with the ‘-p’ switch to specify a port… no longer necessary to use the VTALK89 naming trick – these should run “out of the box” on any of our platforms…

image001.png
image002.png
image003.png
image004.jpg