Z80 gets a new OS

George Farris

Nov 16, 2022, 11:38:56 PM11/16/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
This is an interesting project, fully open source.

https://hackaday.com/2022/11/08/z80-gets-new-os/

--
George - VE7FRG

Les Bird

Nov 17, 2022, 10:02:14 AM11/17/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
I love that the OS is all in ROM. Super cool. I’m going to explode this. Thanks for posting Georgia.

Les

Douglas Miller

Nov 17, 2022, 10:05:52 AM11/17/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

I was also planning to try and run it on my simulator. I'm not really keen on the memory map (48K program space max, with some of it being sub-optimal (paged during syscalls)), but it does seem that it would work with the H8-512K board. Of course, no apps for it.

Mark Garlanger

Nov 17, 2022, 1:14:04 PM11/17/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
On the subject of OSes, since we have the HDOS source, I would love to start with the latest 3.0 source and add on to it. Some of the things I was thinking about: making it Y2K compliant, since the date field actually has an extra bit, so it could represent dates up to 2097.
Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 12.07.18 PM.png
Add support for subdirectories, since the actual directory is a file, it should make it easier to support subdirectories.
I was thinking of only adding things that would have been possible back in the day on standard Heath systems.

Mark

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2022, 2:09:11 PM11/17/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

I was always a little frustrated at the solution we evolved to for Y2K on HDOS.  As you mentioned, core HDOS is Y2K compliant – it’s just SYSCMD (and PIP) that didn’t bother to handle date i/o properly (CAD.ACM and DAD.ACM in the source code). All credit to Stan Webb for his patch that augments the date by 70 years but it is a kludge that breaks old date handling.

Subdirectories make sense but the trick will be to not bloat the OS.  HDOS 3 did a nice job of adding useful stuff but keeping the memory footprint manageable.

On the subject of OSes, since we have the HDOS source, I would love to start with the latest 3.0 source and add on to it. Some of the things I was thinking about: making it Y2K compliant, since the date field actually has an extra bit, so it could represent dates up to 2097.

image001.png