HA8-3 Chipset on ebay...

Joe Travis N6YPC

Sep 6, 2022, 3:30:07 PM9/6/22
to SEBHC
I'm curious if anyone in the group has purchased and used the HA8-3 chipset from ebay?  Having experienced IC fakery with ICs from China, I'd like to know if these are good.

Thanks,
Joe Travis n6ypc

Glenn Roberts

Sep 6, 2022, 4:21:14 PM9/6/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

I don’t think this was the original source of the chip (it came from a friend) but I did have a problem with an AY-3-8910 with the Microchip branding just like the one in the picture.  The problem was one of the parallel I/O port outputs was non-functional.  Purely guesswork on my part but I don’t think this was so much a “fake” chip as one that failed QA testing but was somehow not disposed of properly. It’s increasingly a hazard we face in the world of “through hole” legacy chips…

Terry Smedley

Sep 6, 2022, 8:06:51 PM9/6/22
to SEBHC
Joe:

This seller created the listing for me last September when I was finding sources for the HA-8-3 board components.  I bought three sets.  The AY, TMS, ADC, and MUX chips weren't fake in the sense that they worked as expected.  But I don't believe they are new - to my eye they appeared to have been "refurbished" - the top surface of the chips appeared to have been etched clean and the imprint is just a little too pristine.   I never tried the 4116s as we had a static RAM solution for the HA-8-3 early on in development.

Glenn's comment about the AY:  This chip has very low output drive capability on the digital ports (datasheet says 1 TTL load), and I encountered several (including the one that I sent to Glenn) that had one or or more blown output lines.  That is the reason that the 74LS07 was added to the new board.

FWIW

Terry

Joseph Travis

Sep 6, 2022, 10:56:21 PM9/6/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Terry & Glenn.  I looked at the number of sets that had been sold and figured someone from the group had to have bought some.  I guess I'll bite.

GI (General Instrument) was the original manufacturer of the AY-3-8910.  I used to work across the street from them at AMCC when there was a mass exodus to GI.  I had never seen and am suspicious of the MicroChip version.  Also because it was Motorola (less than a mile away) that bought GI.

BR,
Joe

Dave McGuire

Sep 6, 2022, 11:04:05 PM9/6/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
On 9/6/22 22:56, Joseph Travis wrote:
> GI (General Instrument) was the original manufacturer of the AY-3-8910.
> I used to work across the street from them at AMCC when there was a mass
> exodus to GI.  I had never seen and am suspicious of the MicroChip
> version.  Also because it was Motorola (less than a mile away) that
> bought GI.

If I'm not mistaken, back in the mid-1980s, quite a while before
Motorola bought GI, Microchip bought GI's chip division. Microchip
supplied many formerly-GI parts, and still do.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

Joseph Travis

Sep 6, 2022, 11:43:19 PM9/6/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
That could be, I just don't remember that.  Microchip and Atmel had offices about a mile away too.  Back then we (at AMCC) were pushing the 10 Gbit barrier and a few years later were doing 40+ Gbits.  We used to say we were "on the bleeding edge" of technology, it was exciting times until the dotCom crash.

BR,
Joe Travis n6ypc

Dave McGuire

Sep 7, 2022, 11:17:02 AM9/7/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Nice! Yup, here it is:

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/pr_archive/en/en013045.pdf

So I wasn't quite right: GI didn't sell their IC division to
Microchip Technology; GI's IC division was spun off and *became*
Microchip Technology in 1987. So there's no need to be suspicious. ;)

Microchip makes a whole lot more than PIC microcontrollers, though
they only seem known to hobbyists as the source of PIC microcontrollers.
The earliest PICs say "GI" on them; PICs date back to the mid-1970s!

-Dave