Norbeto's Dual CF for H8

Richard Davis Jr.

May 2, 2022, 6:53:33 AM5/2/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
  All,

I built Norbeto's dual cf board snd it is functioning on IDE interface 1 Master CF.
IDE interface 2 checks out but I don't have S/W support yet.

Now I need to update my drivers to support the second IDE port and slave drives. HDOS  2.0 is bootable and becomes sy0...

Thank Norbeto.

Rick

dualcf2.jpg
hdosconsole2.jpg

Joseph Travis

May 2, 2022, 9:04:16 AM5/2/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
This is AWESOME!  I'm so looking forward to this!

Glenn Roberts

May 2, 2022, 9:58:06 AM5/2/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

So the main attraction of this board (over say the Z67-IDE+) is that it is 8080-compatible, correct?

Just trying to keep track of all the ongoing projects!

  • Glenn

Douglas Miller

May 2, 2022, 10:05:25 AM5/2/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

No, all the storage options are 8080-compatible. The H8 bus is not Z80-specific, so anything that plugs into it should be compatible with both Z80 and 8080. The original GIDE solution was a piggy-back on the Z80 chip, so that was not compatible with the 8080 for obvious reasons. But Norberto's Dual GIDE board works with either processor.

Glenn Roberts

May 2, 2022, 10:09:02 AM5/2/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Actually, the Z67-IDE+ and the associated H37/67 board (and PAM-37 ROM) all require Z80.  Not a hardware constraint (to my knowledge) but a design decision at Heath…

Douglas Miller

May 2, 2022, 10:11:53 AM5/2/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Right, hardware constraint vs. software/firmware constraint. Like the way I don't provide an 8080 version of CP/M 3 or CP/NET.

norberto.collado koyado.com

May 2, 2022, 11:18:45 AM5/2/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Rick, for your help in the assembly/testing of such board. Nicely done! I’m glad that there were no HW layout issues or logical issues.

I’m very happy to see HDOS working on another controller on the H8 system.

Thank you, thank you!

Norberto

Richard Davis Jr.

May 2, 2022, 11:35:44 AM5/2/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
You are welcome, glad to help.
I used to do this 40+ years ago.

Now the fun part. Getting driver(s) to work on all 4 devices.

Rick

Joseph Travis

May 2, 2022, 12:26:27 PM5/2/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Any chance there will be a H89 version as well?

Regards,
Joe Travis n6ypc

norberto.collado koyado.com

May 2, 2022, 1:02:09 PM5/2/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
I knew this was coming!

Once Rick gets it to boot from the XCON-8 monitor, then we can re-visit for an H89 version as there is in the works a new version.

Now that the HW is fully operational, everything else is just software development.

Thanks,
Norberto

May 2, 2022, 5:33:40 PM5/2/22
to SEBHC
Now that the HW is fully operational, everything else is just software development.

On behalf of all members of the International  Brotherhood of Software Engineers .... OUCH!

tas

glenn.f...@gmail.com

May 2, 2022, 8:54:43 PM5/2/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Famous last words. It’s just a matter of a little software… how hard can that be?

Richard Davis Jr.

May 3, 2022, 7:33:17 AM5/3/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
It's always a software problem until the software person proves it is a H/W problem.

Rick

norberto.collado koyado.com

May 3, 2022, 1:49:29 PM5/3/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Once HW issue as been identified, then the software person will put a patch to get around the HW issue, to avoid spinning another pcb board.

I remember at DEC that for a HW design person, it was bad to spin the pcb board as it was burning company money. Also, it impacted the person yearly performance review. That is why it was hard at DEC to convinced the HW that there was a problem with the design.  They always blame the software person.