Dual CF software

Richard Davis Jr.

Jul 25, 2022, 6:15:10 AM7/25/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
All,

The drivers and applications for the H8 Dual CF board are ready.
A big thanks to Joe Travis for helping me test the software and updating/formatting the readme file which contains installation and usa instructions.
The software works on both HDOS 2 and HDOS 3. CP/M is in the works.
The software supports multiple 15M virtual drives on 1 single CF.
There is a boot application, dcfboot, that allows you to pick which CF channel and which virtual drive you want to boot using the H8 front panel and keypad.

Norbeto,

Please copy to your Dual CF page.

Regards,
Rick

dualcf_files_20220725.zip
dualcf_h8d_20220725.zip

Joseph Travis

Jul 25, 2022, 10:21:17 AM7/25/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rick!  I didn't see the DCFBOOT.H8T file included so the Dual CF could be booted using the H8-5 Cassette Tape interface.

Once Norberto releases the Dual CF boards and everyone that wants one gets one, I'd like to get another!  The board and software is stable and works very well.  It's faster (and quieter) than a floppy drive.  The increase in capacity over floppies is great!  I'm currently running on a 2 MHz H8 and love it!

Regards,
Joe Travis n6ypc

norberto.collado koyado.com

Jul 25, 2022, 11:10:57 AM7/25/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Thank you both for all your support! WOW!

I added the files to the website.

http://koyado.com/heathkit/New-H8-Website/download/dualcf_files_20220725.zip

http://koyado.com/heathkit/New-H8-Website/download/dualcf_h8d_20220725.zip

I will re-pin the board this week to eliminate the two 82C55 IC’s. Hopefully that will make the code simpler to manage and then we can decide on which board to release to the team. The new board uses current I/O addresses and the only change will be to eliminate the 82C55 with buffers. Also, this allows to update XCON-8 to support booting from the H8 console for the 8080A CPU configuration.

I did not see DCFBOOT.H8T on the. Files folders to be able to download manually via the PC Realterm utility. Thank you for the Readme.txt file and nicely done.

Also, I will need help with the BOM for such board. 😊

Thanks,

Norberto

Joseph Travis

Jul 25, 2022, 11:32:58 AM7/25/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Norberto,

If you're going to re-spin the board, I suggest that you add a socket for an optional ROM.  This way, you can have the option to boot using the H8 front panel without having to modify an existing (444-70) ROM.  Using the keypad, the user would enter REG PC XXX XXX GO and it would boot the CF.  Doing this also means you don't have to sacrifice H47 or H67 code in the 444-70 ROM to accommodate  the CF (or any other option).

BTW - I'm very happy with the current board and would love to get another!

Regards,
Joe

Joseph Travis

Jul 25, 2022, 11:42:29 AM7/25/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Better yet, make it an EEPROM.

norberto.collado koyado.com

Jul 25, 2022, 11:58:31 AM7/25/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
At what address will this ROM reside? It has to be outside the range of the XCON-8/PAM-37.

Sent: Monday, July 25, 2022 8:42 AM

Joseph Travis

Jul 25, 2022, 12:21:14 PM7/25/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Norberto,

As I recall, the 444-70 (XCON-8) ROM is only 4K in size, so I'd put it just above that.  If that falls into the PAM-37 space then that may need to be resolved however, I tend to believe the majority of users for this will have a H-17 and/or H8-5 and not a H-37/67.  Those that do have the H-37/67 wouldn't need this as there is already a solution available.

Regards,
Joe

norberto.collado koyado.com

Jul 25, 2022, 1:48:56 PM7/25/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Hello Joe,

Sync with Richard and figure out the address range that will have such content. It needs to be above PAM-37. The HA8-8 Extended Configuration will need to be installed for this to work.

Norberto

Sent: Monday, July 25, 2022 9:20 AM