Heathkit ET-100 Keyboard and manuals

David Carroll

Sep 6, 2021, 1:11:22 PM9/6/21
to SEBHC
Hi,

I recently got a Heathkit ET-100 Learning Computer. I am looking for the keyboard and manuals/software for this system.

Please let me know if you  have them available.

David

W6NF
Los Angeles

Joseph Travis

Sep 7, 2021, 10:29:03 AM9/7/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

The ET-100 runs the same software as the H/Z-100.  I suggest that you check out this website:  https://z100lifeline.swvagts.com/  to start with.  From there you can contact Steven Vagts directly, maybe he has something to offer you.  Good luck!

73 de n6ypc
Joe Travis

ChucksterInJax

Sep 8, 2021, 7:28:45 PM9/8/21
to SEBHC
Joe,
The ET100 doesn't run the same software as the H/Z 100. It's a (somewhat) PC compatible.
Do you have a basic et100 or the expanded unit with floppy drive and color monitor support.

I have the manuals scanned and disk images here:

Unfortunately, the keyboard  is unique to the ET100 and rare. I see them sometimes on eBay though.

David Carroll

Sep 8, 2021, 7:42:39 PM9/8/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I seem to have the expanded unit with floppy drive and color monitor support. It is complete except for the top breadboard block which could be replaced with a modern one I think since it has no connections.

David

--
David Carroll
CTO

ChucksterInJax

Sep 8, 2021, 8:12:21 PM9/8/21
to SEBHC
Without a keyboard, there isn't much you can do with the computer. If I see one come up on eBay, I'll notify you.

Seems like there should be a way to make an interface to use a standard keyboard with the unit. I haven't looked into that though.

The manuals show internal DIP switches and pinouts for video. Somewhere I have a cable and info on connecting an RGB monitor.

Steven Feinsmith

Sep 8, 2021, 8:20:25 PM9/8/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Correct, these breadboards have no connection to the unit. You use wires from the terminal blocks to the breadboard. This is an excellent device from the past which only ran with the Heathkit H/Z100 series. A lot of people confuse H/Z100 software and H/Z100PC software. The H/Z100PC is IBM compatible. Your unit MUST use H/Z100 non-IBM compatible. The H/Z100 is non-IBM compatible and designed for H/Z110 or H/Z120 desktop computers, including yours.

A lot of good luck,
Steven

Steven Feinsmith

Sep 8, 2021, 8:48:17 PM9/8/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
The keyboard you mentioned can get either old H/Z-110 or H/Z-120 desktop computers (not any H/Z PC computers). There was a problem as there was no documentation available.

The ET-100 tends to be sold to universities, colleges, or the military for training. I encourage you to post your search at the Z-100 lifeline website. Someone may have the materials. For years, I tried to get a schematic for the ET-100 system but never found it.

Joseph Travis

Sep 8, 2021, 9:46:48 PM9/8/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Here is a link to REMark magazine, vol 5, issue 3 1984  https://pestingers.net/pdfs/remark-scans/1984/remark-volume5-issue3-1984.pdf

The article titled "The Heath Advanced Microprocessor Course" starting on page 42 has a very good description of the ET-100, it's capabilities / shortcomings and compatibility with the HZ-100 (not PC compatible as some may believe).

Good luck in your search!  I hope you get it up and running soon.

73 de n6ypc Joe

ChucksterInJax

Sep 8, 2021, 9:51:51 PM9/8/21
to SEBHC
Earlier this evening  I listed a link to the manuals I scanned .

The schematics start on page 439 of the manual named ET100 Users Manual - Final.

Joseph Travis

Sep 8, 2021, 10:04:31 PM9/8/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
BTW David,

I don't believe you're completely dead in the water without a keyboard.  You should be able to map the serial port for keyboard input and/or screen output using the CONFIGUR program (if memory serves).  It may be possible to do this with AUTOEXEC.BAT also.  This would initially have to be done using a H/Z-100 to make the change(s) to the boot disk.  Then when you get a keyboard, it's easy to switch it back.

73 de n6ypc Joe

David Carroll

Sep 9, 2021, 1:43:09 AM9/9/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
All,

Thanks for all the helpful tips and ideas.

I also got an H110 S100 system with the extended ~270K  memory motherboard and 2 ea 1/2 height floppy drives.  I cannot find this exact version in any of the catalogs I have found. Looks like Xmas of 1984 time range entry below is the closest I found.

Also the amber monochrome Heath/Zenith monitor.

Amazing - it seems to work great - boots CPM 85, CPM 86, and MS-DOS/ZDOS.

David

Heathkit_Catalog_867R-8-sm.png

Steven Feinsmith

Sep 9, 2021, 2:48:59 AM9/9/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the information to obtain ET-100 files. I am not sure if there is a schematic. Now, I remember about the keyboard for ET-100. It was the same kind of keyboard as the H/Z-29 terminal. Unfortunately, it is tremendously difficult to find it along with the H/Z-29 terminal anywhere. I struggle to find the Z-29 to replace my long-lost one. Right now, I gave up hope of buying the Z-29 with the keyboard because I kept looking on eBay for the last 17 years without luck.

Steven

Dave McGuire

Sep 9, 2021, 9:39:58 AM9/9/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
On 9/9/21 2:48 AM, Steven Feinsmith wrote:
> Thank you for the information to obtain ET-100 files. I am not sure if
> there is a schematic. Now, I remember about the keyboard for ET-100. It
> was the same kind of keyboard as the H/Z-29 terminal. Unfortunately, it
> is tremendously difficult to find it along with the H/Z-29 terminal
> anywhere. I struggle to find the Z-29 to replace my long-lost one. Right
> now, I gave up hope of buying the Z-29 with the keyboard because I kept
> looking on eBay for the last 17 years without luck.
>
> https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=24079
> <https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=24079>
>
> https://www.ithistory.org/db/hardware/zenith-data-systems/zenith-z-29
> <https://www.ithistory.org/db/hardware/zenith-data-systems/zenith-z-29>

Nice, that picture shows the Z-29 running from a VAXstation. I'd
know that ROM sign-on message, memory test bar-graph, and triple chevron
("dead sergeant") prompt anywhere. :-) I can just barely see the
machine, a tiny VAXstation 4000-VLC, peeking out from beneath the
terminal's monitor box.

I have never seen one of those terminals in the wild, ever.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA