C80 compiler for HDOS

Richard Davis Jr.

Nov 4, 2021, 3:10:00 PM11/4/21
to SEBHC
I have an H8 with H17 controller and two floppies. an H*-5 and full up RAM. HDOS reports 56K memory and I ran memtest and no issues found.
I used H8DUtility to create floppies using the C80 disk images on the SEBHC.org pages for the C80 compiler.
When I run c.abs, it crashes the entire system before it prints its banner. The displys go blank or the beeper  goes on continuously. In either case, I have to do a reset.
When I run the as.abs, all is well.

Has anyone tried using these disk images and running C80?

Thanks,
Rick

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2021, 3:50:48 PM11/4/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Rick: what version are you running? 3.1?  do you have any extra device drivers installed?  What does STAT say is your HDOS lower bound?

You could run CCONFIG and experiment with decreasing some of the table sizes.

I believe I ran C/80 on a dual-floppy system like yours but that was long ago (and probably version 2).

Richard Davis Jr.

Nov 4, 2021, 4:12:29 PM11/4/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Glen,

It is version 3.0 I believe  it is what is posted on the sebhc web.
I will run thw stuff you are refering to . Believe it or not I am new to hdos. I just recently acquired this stuff. My H8 40+ years ago was just cassette.

Rick

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2021, 6:47:31 PM11/4/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Best to use 3.1

https://sebhc.github.io/sebhc/software/Applications/C80_3_1_distribution.zip

perhaps tell us a bit more about your machine since it’s a new (to you) acquisition.  what boards does it have?   You’ve mentioned the H17 and H-8-5 . 8080 cpu?  Do you have the “org 0” board (stubby board that fits backwards in the last slot) – that would let you run CP/M. How are you booting HDOS?  Did you have some old bootable disks from the previous owner?

Les Bird

Nov 4, 2021, 6:50:13 PM11/4/21
to SEBHC
Speaking of 8080, Rick it's very possible that C80 requires a Z80 CPU.

Just a thought. That would explain it freaking out when you try to run it.

Meanwhile, I'm going through my disks to see if I can find the originals and re-image them in case those are bad images.

Les

Richard Davis Jr.

Nov 4, 2021, 7:33:44 PM11/4/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Glenn et al,

I have an 8080 cpu
No org zero board
H17
H8-5
A n 8k static ram board that i removed all ram and glued a 128k static ram to the back of it. Replaced the 7442 with a 74145 and enabled all memory banks except 0. This gives me 56k and it passes memtest.
I did this because the ram had issues and. I replaced the 7400s and 74240s also.

I used the hdos 2 h8d images on the site for hdos

All standard hdos apps work. editor, basic, asm etc.

The assembler from c80 does run.

I will grab the 3.1 image and try that.

Rick

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2021, 7:51:32 PM11/4/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

No mention of that in the manual. ;pretty sure I ran it on Trusty (8080) back in the day.  I know I ran it on my Z-100 under CP/M-85 (8085)….  Good thought though!

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2021, 7:55:10 PM11/4/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Wow. Quite an innovative upgrade to the old 8K RAM board!

Pretty sure the version of C/80 (3.1) that I’m running came from the disks on Les’ site ( URL in my previous email)…

We’ll await further news…

Glenn Roberts

Nov 13, 2021, 10:36:09 AM11/13/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Rick: ever get this working?

Richard Davis Jr.

Nov 13, 2021, 11:33:24 AM11/13/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Yes sir I did. I reimaged the floppy and all is well.
I did get a newer floppy drives, TM100-2. They are new okd stock.  I did the rotation calbration. Both were too fast. I re-imaged my floppies,. Fortunately I don't have many yet.

Thanks for helping/checking

Rick