Dual CF board driver progress

Richard Davis Jr.

May 12, 2022, 6:49:08 AM5/12/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
  All,

I now have drivers for Channel 1 Master and Channel 2 Master. The Slave versions will be working soon baring not interference by Murphy.
The driver names/ device names are as follows.
CAx - Channel 1 Master
CBx - Channel 1 Slave
CCx - Channel 2 Master
CDx - Channel 2 Slave

Each device can be mounted using the standard mount command.
Each device can be booted from using the boot command.

I wrote a dcfboot application that will prompt you via H8 front panel to select one of 4 channels to boot from.

I have a version of this application that can be transferred to the H8 not running HDOS via h8t file.
Believe it or not, you don't need the H17 controller if you use the above app. The caveats are you must have the xcon8 ROM and you must first try to boot from the H17. The attempt will fail and return to idle. This must be done to initialize memory for booting.

Below are pictures showing the H8 with no controller and the resultant boot and mounting of CF.

Rick

20220511_193658.jpg
20220511_191815.jpg
20220511_194639.jpg

norberto.collado koyado.com

May 12, 2022, 1:19:30 PM5/12/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Nick,

Great work! I'm impressed to see this board booting HDOS under the 8080A CPU board. Thank you for sharing such pictures.

Having different means to boot HDOS is "super" great.

How you get the dcfboot application loaded?

Please send me any information that you might want to add to the website to support better such board.

Thank you for taking on such challenge and getting such CF card board working under HDOS.

Norberto

May 12, 2022, 10:31:30 PM5/12/22
to SEBHC
Is this new board available to the group yet? Don’t mean to jump the gun, but this looks like a very clean solution.

norberto.collado koyado.com

May 13, 2022, 5:15:46 PM5/13/22
to SEBHC
Not yet! I'm not sure if we should have this board specific to the 8080A CPU or scrapped it. We have in the works another similar board without the 82C55 and with other features. I will need to consult with Rick on what he wants to do with this board.

For now this board is used for development by Rick to get his 8080A booting HDOS on the CF cards. Next step for Rick, will be to modify XCON-8 (rem out the GIDE/H47 code) to support such card for the 8080A system to make it simpler to boot thru the H8 front panel.

Norberto

May 16, 2022, 10:10:19 PM5/16/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to get one whether you decide to move forward or scrap it.  I personally like having to boot it using a software program loaded from disk or a H8T program downloaded through the H8-5.  That doesn't require any ROM change and allows it to work with a variety of other storage devices without sacrificing one to use the CF drive.

Regards,
Joe Travis n6ypc

Rob

May 16, 2022, 10:51:25 PM5/16/22
to SEBHC
I as well like the simplicity of this board…

Tim Gilberts

May 17, 2022, 2:16:53 AM5/17/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
I have been following with interest as well as I think one would suit my simple H8/H17 unit to simplify stand alone use.

Sent from my iPhone

On 17 May 2022, at 03:51, Rob <rw...@robhome.com> wrote:

I as well like the simplicity of this board…

norberto.collado koyado.com

May 17, 2022, 3:07:49 AM5/17/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

OK, we will keep this one for the 8080A as it is a very simple bord. Also it could be jump-start thru the H8-5 H8T capabilities.

Norberto