H8-2020 IOC

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2021, 7:09:02 AM9/12/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

I have my initial operating capability for the H8-2020.  Still need to fasten down the hardware and button up the case.  drive 0 boots CP/M 3; drive 1 boots HDOS 3.02 with syper sysmod.  Interested in any ideas on interesting things to demonstrate on this box at VCF.  At a minimum I may run programs side-by-side with a 2mhz setup to show speed difference…

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BAbhuwhqKEHdsGxw7

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2021, 9:24:50 AM9/12/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

By the way a big shout out to Ken Owen.  Some time back he prepared 3.5” QuikStor installation floppy disks for me for both Hdos 2 and 3, plus his installation instructions.  These have saved me a lot of time and made it very easy to set up bootable images on Drive 1 for both my new H8-2020 and my “gaming demo” system.  I had forgotten I had them but once I found them, they were a godsend!

Tx Ken!

Kenneth L. Owen tx836519

Sep 12, 2021, 1:07:32 PM9/12/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Hi Glenn,

You are quite welcome!  Figuring out some of this stuff took a bit of time and I documented the process for others trying to do the same and for me when my FORGETTER kicks in.

Sounds like you will make our group look GOOD at the VCF.

  • ken

Sent from Mail for Windows

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2021, 10:22:51 PM9/15/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Update: I have all the pieces to outfit the chassis/cabinet.  Here’s the status as of this evening:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xEWUMpV8KhC6Zcxi7

3-D printed plastic bracket holding up the Z67-IDE+ courtesy of Norberto and his son!

That’s it for today…  tomorrow I should have pix of final system up and running…

  • Glenn

I have my initial operating capability for the H8-2020.  Still need to fasten down the hardware and button up the case.  drive 0 boots CP/M 3; drive 1 boots HDOS 3.02 with syper sysmod.  Interested in any ideas on interesting things to demonstrate on this box at VCF.  At a minimum I may run programs side-by-side with a 2mhz setup to show speed difference…

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BAbhuwhqKEHdsGxw7

Norberto Collado

Sep 15, 2021, 11:36:37 PM9/15/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Glenn,

Very nice work! Looking at the speaker, I’m going to ask my son to 3D print out a small cover to protect the speaker from accidental damage. I will do the same on my system. It should be a simple cover that attaches to the speaker body and no need to take out the speaker to install it.

Thanks for sharing,

Norberto

From: "se...@googlegroups.com" <se...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of <glenn.f...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 7:22 PM
To: "se...@googlegroups.com" <se...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [sebhc] RE: H8-2020 IOC

Update: I have all the pieces to outfit the chassis/cabinet.  Here’s the status as of this evening:

Norberto Collado

Sep 15, 2021, 11:58:11 PM9/15/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Is the backplane front LED working now? I cannot tell from the picture.

Glenn Roberts

Sep 16, 2021, 4:00:36 AM9/16/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Yes. Replaced bad LED.

Sent from my iPad

Glenn Roberts

Sep 16, 2021, 7:20:10 AM9/16/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

I’ve got my H8-2020 system in pretty good shape. More Pix in my VCF prep Google album (scroll down):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bqqr9Cn1ohJaCPyC7

a few notes/comments:

  • I brought out the PC power supply lead with the floppy power so that I can easily attach a 3.5” drive when needed
  • I have the H17 piggyback board here and may attempt a demo of the SVD (H17/100K images)  if I have time
  • I have the parallel port board installed and would like to configure a printer, though I’m unlikely to lug that to VCF. There are other cool things that can be done with that board (see Terry Smedley’s work!) but may or may not have time to prepare to show that for VCF.
  • The way I’ve mounted the PC power supply blocks the screw hole where I would normally attach the rear of the heat sink bar. Not an issue for heat (the system runs super cool) but would like it aesthetically and to keep the cards secured.  I have to figure out what the small screws are that hold the power supply in and see if I can get longer versions of those, then use standoffs to allow space to fit the tab of the bar back there.
  • The CPU board can fit in slot 1, but with the VDIP breakout board installed there’s very tight clearance.  Since I’ve got plenty of room I put the board in slot 2.
  • Love the positive touch of the Cherry keypad and the look of the custom keycaps!
  • I had to do a little “adjustment” of the front panel indicator LEDs.  The custom bracket I fabricated for the front bezel “smoky” lens was blocking them…
  • I chose to use an original Heath speaker (401-163) – amazingly available on eBay!!  I experimented with the little 1” speaker on the front panel but had some issues.  I think Norberto will be providing some follow up information on this.
  • I still have a “surprise” enhancement that I plan to make on the system (if parts arrive soon – they were on a slow boat from China but as of yesterday in NJ, which is only one state away – there’s hope) … stay tuned.

All in all, a fun build, and a cool system. Rusty is jealous…

IMG_3302.JPG

Les Bird

Sep 16, 2021, 9:21:38 AM9/16/21
to SEBHC
Beautiful system Glenn! Should be a big hit at VCF.

Curious about this surprise enhancement...

Les

Norberto Collado

Sep 16, 2021, 11:00:27 AM9/16/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Great job and Beautiful system. You need to show a picture of this H8 before and after at the show.

I like the custom keypad lighted up and the 2 MHz LED as well.

Thanks,

Norberto

From: "se...@googlegroups.com" <se...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Glenn Roberts <glenn.f...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 4:19 AM
To: "se...@googlegroups.com" <se...@googlegroups.com>

I’ve got my H8-2020 system in pretty good shape. More Pix in my VCF prep Google album (scroll down):

norberto...@koyado.com

Sep 18, 2021, 4:27:27 AM9/18/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Glenn,

I will be sending you the cover for the speaker to protect it from future damage as it is now exposed.

Here is an example:

Thanks,

Norberto

Sep 18, 2021, 1:17:34 PM9/18/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Now for the “big reveal” that any true Fixer Upper show must have… Drumroll please …

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SAvb3FG7h7PdWJnQ6

now I need a name for Rusty’s cousin.  Blue Streak? Cool Blue?  Or just Blue?

Suggestions welcome 😊

  • Glenn

Dave McGuire

Sep 18, 2021, 1:21:05 PM9/18/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
On 9/18/21 1:17 PM, Glenn Roberts wrote:
> Now for the “big reveal” that any true Fixer Upper show must have…
> Drumroll please …
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/SAvb3FG7h7PdWJnQ6
> <https://photos.app.goo.gl/SAvb3FG7h7PdWJnQ6>
>
> now I need a name for Rusty’s cousin.  Blue Streak? Cool Blue?  Or just
> Blue?
>
> Suggestions welcome 😊

WHOA! That looks fantastic!

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

Kenneth L. Owen tx836519

Sep 18, 2021, 1:25:36 PM9/18/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Ooooh!  Ahhhh!  That is a pretty H8!

  • ken

Sent from Mail for Windows

Kenneth L. Owen tx836519

Sep 18, 2021, 1:28:03 PM9/18/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Ohhhh!  Ahhhh!  Now that’s a pretty H-8!

  • ken

Sent from Mail for Windows

norberto...@koyado.com

Sep 18, 2021, 5:06:35 PM9/18/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

These days everything is ending with an “X”. Perhaps “Bluex”.

Very nice!

Norberto

Now for the “big reveal” that any true Fixer Upper show must have… Drumroll please …

Les Bird

Sep 18, 2021, 5:07:02 PM9/18/21
to SEBHC
Very nice Glenn..