Re: [sebhc] Full size H17 controller with VDIP1 and HSFE support!

Norberto Collado

Dec 29, 2021, 12:39:46 PM12/29/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Douglas,

I will add the FT245R to the single full size board H17 controller along with the VDIP1. It will be using the same port address as the H89-Serial-USB board.

Thanks,

Norberto

From: "se...@googlegroups.com" <se...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Norberto Collado <norberto...@koyado.com>
Date: Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 11:27 PM
To: "se...@googlegroups.com" <se...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [sebhc] Full size H17 controller with VDIP1 and HSFE support!

I decided to take the current H17 design (http://koyado.com/Heathkit/H8-H17-H37-H67-USB_files/H8_H17_Controller.png) that includes the VDIP1 + HSFE and dropped into a full size board. This allows to have the H37/H67 by itself. Also allows to move the VDIP1 from the CPU into the H17 to allow more space between the H8 Control Panel and the CPU board without wasting a backplane slot.

Also supports in just having the H17 with HSFE and VDIP1 in the H8 if not interested on the H37/H67 combo. For me the best configuration is the H17 + H67 (174Q, 170Q) as we have a lot of files in H17 H8D format.

Thanks,

Norberto

Douglas Miller

Dec 29, 2021, 2:02:42 PM12/29/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

I'll look into adding code to auto-detect FT245R vs. "real" serial port. A future project, although detecting VDIP1 without FT245R is more difficult.

Norberto Collado

Dec 30, 2021, 3:04:37 AM12/30/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Douglas!

Glenn Roberts

Dec 30, 2021, 10:44:05 AM12/30/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

So I think I’ve lost track of what’s driving the recent interest/discussion surrounding the FT245.  There was some discussion from Douglas a while back about CP/Net.  Is that the main driver?

https://groups.google.com/g/sebhc/c/bJkF-8enhe8/m/qHc8RC18AAAJ

Douglas Miller

Dec 30, 2021, 1:45:15 PM12/30/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

I'm afraid I started this. While bringing up MP/M, I was struggling with the fact that the Z80 v3/v4 boards had only 2 serial ports, and it would be nice to have 3 for 2 consoles and 1 printer. I wasn't sure if the FT245R was included on the VDIP1 board for v3/v4 boards, but was thinking it is possible to use that as a third serial port (albeit not INS8250). But, the problem I have is that we don't know if an FT245R exists or not. I'm not sure adding it to the H17 helps, we still have too many possible configurations that don't have an FT245R.

Glenn Roberts

Dec 30, 2021, 2:03:25 PM12/30/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Ah. Thanks.

The FT245 chips are available but we were using the spark fun breakout board (now retired) to avoid having to deal with surface-mount assembly.  I think Norberto is looking at a different breakout board, but I’m not familiar with the availability of such board and whether it’s pre-assembled.

Bottom line is I think we’ve been trying to stick to through-hole construction wherever we can.  Those of us with aging eyesight appreciate that 😊

  • Glenn

Douglas Miller

Dec 30, 2021, 2:07:19 PM12/30/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

Agreed! My recent build of an RC2014 system proves that even .05 spacing is at the edge of my abilities!

I'm not sure that adding the FT245R gives me anything I can use. It's just no longer ubiquitous in an H8 (when VIP1 is present) so it's just a lot of trouble to try and use in a general software image.

norberto.collado koyado.com

Dec 31, 2021, 1:03:32 AM12/31/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
I should get this part in two weeks. This part is available and it is cheaper than the spar fun board.

Norberto