15 pin molex pinout?

Mike Ladwig

Aug 19, 2021, 4:46:37 PM8/19/21
to SEBHC
Hello!

I've been looking through the documentation looking for a signal pinout for the 15 pin molex connector from the H8-5 serial board without any luck. My plan is to replace my broken molex connector with a db-9.

I'm sure the pinout must be documented somewhere, but I can't seem to find anything. Would someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
mike.

Glenn Roberts

Aug 19, 2021, 8:02:08 PM8/19/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

The Heath cabling options are listed in this document

https://sebhc.github.io/sebhc/documentation/software/docs/AdapterCables_597-1836-01.pdf

I believe you want the WH 8-51 – just ground xmit and receive!  I guess most Heath software uses software handshaking (XON/XOFF).

DTR and RTS signals are available but apparently not used in the standard Heath cable.  the other connections on the Molexs pin are for other interfaces…

Douglas Miller

Aug 19, 2021, 8:52:00 PM8/19/21
to se...@googlegroups.com

MMS CP/M and software uses hardware handshake, as does CP/NET. You might want to hook up all 8-9 signals, just to be thorough.

norberto.collado koyado.com

Aug 19, 2021, 9:24:46 PM8/19/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mike,

This company offers the 15-pin molex connector, but I do not know which size to order. Perhaps someone in this group can help with the correct size.

Molex 15 Pin 3 Row .093 Power Pin and Socket Connector Receptacle male housing with friction latch (CC1007).  3 Row and 15 circuit positions.
Thanks,
Norberto

Aug 20, 2021, 12:19:40 PM8/20/21
to se...@googlegroups.com
Terry provided the correct molex connectors info.

You want the Molex .062" series connectors.  Male with panel mount ears fits in H8 cutouts.

ITX-MLX0070 , .062" Molex Plug, Receptacle & Contacts, 15 CKT Item# ITX-MLX0070 Item# 76650-0070.062" Molex Plug, Receptacle & Contacts, 15 CKT, 1 Set One male/Female connector and 17 each male and female pins 24-18AWG

Terry

Aug 20, 2021, 11:36:09 PM8/20/21
to SEBHC
The 0.062” (1625 series) and 0.093” connectors were widely used in the 1970s and 1980s.
You could find them at Radio Shack and retail electronics stores, during that period.

After Koch Industries (Wichita, KS) purchased Molex (Lisle, IL) from the founding family,
they began a review of the product portfolio (update, EOL, new offerings).

The 0.062” and 0.093” connectors are activity used within industry (refrigerators, vending machines, etc.),
Here is the 15 circuit version, for 0.062”

HOWEVER Nylon Shells with greater than 15 circuits (conductors),
such as the 22-pin model have been discontinued (Produced only upon customer demand)
===
Mouser stocks the 15-circuit Nylon Shells

Pins and Sockets are selected by desired Contact Finish and Wire Gauge (AWG) for Wire Crimping.

g. beat

G. Beat

Aug 20, 2021, 11:50:01 PM8/20/21
to SEBHC
Molex 1625-15PRT is a Kit formerly offered, that provided A female and male Nylon shell,
as well as Socket and Pin terminals.

GC Electronics / Waldom Electronics (Rockford, IL) offered these connector kits assembling / packaging from Molex parts.

Newark Electronics (Avnet) Notes

g. beat