PCB Services.

Norberto Collado

Apr 12, 2022, 3:24:16 PM4/12/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Todd,

Shanghai pcb services are shutdown. Do you know of other pcb business in the US or other countries to order prototypes for testing that are affordable? I got this quote from a pcb shop here in Oregon, very expensive. File is attached.

Shanghai officials reported more than 23,000 new coronavirus cases on Tuesday. The vast majority of them are asymptomatic, but despite that, and some limited easing of the restrictions, the government has largely stuck to its strict lockdown and isolation measures — even as it battles public anger, food shortages and a major impact on business.

Thanks,

Norberto

SQW-96663.pdf

Todd Goodman

Apr 12, 2022, 3:50:13 PM4/12/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Hi Norberto,

I use PCBCart in China but mostly because I'm getting final boards and usually getting fingers with hard gold which is prohibitively expensive with US board houses

PCBWay, OSH park, JCLPCB, etc. are some other options that might be better for prototype boards though I don't know if they'll be any better than what you found.

Sorry for not being much help, if I were looking I'd get quotes from a few of them,

Todd

pbi...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2022, 2:13:31 AM4/13/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

I can confirm that JLCPCB is running fine at the moment; they completed most of the processing of a (small) board for me yesterday.  Shipping is modest if you’re not in any hurry, but there are multiple choices trading cost for timeliness.

norberto...@koyado.com

Apr 13, 2022, 11:43:54 AM4/13/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Thanks both for the information. I ordered thru JLCPCB for the larger board for 5-pcs and it came out at $50.49. Just waiting for their review process.

Thanks,

Norberto

image001.png

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 13, 2022, 1:54:33 PM4/13/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
WOW! These guys seemed to be great! Prices are much better than Shanghai. Thank you for the recommendation.

Rick,

I will assemble one of these boards first to check it out. I will need your help to enable it to boot HDOS. I will send you one once I can verify that it works (no layout mistakes or logic mistakes).

Thank you,
Norberto

Richard Davis Jr.

Apr 13, 2022, 2:18:53 PM4/13/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Norby,

Ready, willing, and able.
Can't wait.

Thanks,
Rick

Darrell Pelan

Apr 13, 2022, 5:43:53 PM4/13/22
to SEBHC
I used PCBWay. I placed the order on 4/12 and they promised delivery on 4/18. I tried Gerber Labs in the US, but there was no delivery date and they have yet to answer an email asking about delivery times.
Prototype PCB order.png

  Darrell

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 13, 2022, 5:55:24 PM4/13/22
to SEBHC
Thanks Darrell for the information.

As I have more boards to prototype, I will place an order to PCBWay as well.

These are great news as well.

Norberto

Apr 15, 2022, 11:49:58 AM4/15/22
to SEBHC
I have used basicpcb.com with good results. Not sure how they compare price wise. Seemed a bit expensive to me.

Mitch

norberto...@koyado.com

Apr 16, 2022, 4:12:53 PM4/16/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

The board shipped today and very fast service from the pcb house. However less expensive shipment thru DHL means longer time in getting such board. Lessons learned. I will need to wait until Apr 27th to get such board .

Norberto

image001.png

Darrell Pelan

Apr 16, 2022, 5:25:38 PM4/16/22
to SEBHC
My delivery slipped a little to 21 April. Board ordered on 4/13 (China local). It was in DHL's hands on 4/16 (China local time). Delivery is now 4/21 to Ohio. Still pretty good, overall. No response yet from Gerber Labs in CA. Too bad, since they were the same price as PCBWay.

  Darrell

Darrell Pelan

Apr 18, 2022, 12:18:54 PM4/18/22
to SEBHC
Delivered today! Six days from order to delivery
H89_ESP32 PCB0.jpg

Douglas Miller

Apr 18, 2022, 12:24:45 PM4/18/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Groovy!

I'm curious about the 3.3V regulator - why is it not a TO-220 form-factor? What sort of device goes in that place?

norberto...@koyado.com

Apr 19, 2022, 1:21:27 AM4/19/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Darrell,

Beautiful board. It reminds me the Heath board with similar pattern. I wonder if I can do the same pattern with KiCad. So, this week is the pcb week. I will celebrate with a Heineken tonight.

Thank you  for sharing,

Norberto

norberto...@koyado.com

Apr 19, 2022, 1:30:43 AM4/19/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

I just found that I need to update to KiCad V6 to do the Copper Thieving and the curved tracing.

Norberto

Apr 19, 2022, 8:39:16 AM4/19/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

I’m guessing this will help with soldering to large areas?  With solid copper ground planes I often have to hold the iron on the connection for quite a while (a minute?) to get a clean connection

image001.png
image002.jpg

Douglas Miller

Apr 19, 2022, 8:43:28 AM4/19/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

I did see the hatched option for ground planes (fill zones) in kicad v5 (Ubuntu kicad 5.1.5+dfsg1-2build2), so you might not need to wait until v6 for that feature.

Darrell Pelan

Apr 19, 2022, 10:19:05 AM4/19/22
to SEBHC
Thank you. I'm using Kicad 6.0.1 on Windows. I found the Udemy course by Peter Dalmaris particularly useful in learning the program features. I need to update the footprint for the LM317 to the correct TO-220. I tested the 3.3v circuit yesterday and found the value recommended by a website design was little off and needed to change a resister value slightly. Made me think about adding a pot instead. I'll check again when I assemble the board and the 3.3v circuit is under load.

I also added silk screen labeling for the test points that I missed earlier on J2.

  Darrell

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 19, 2022, 3:32:46 PM4/19/22
to SEBHC
I just downloaded latest version of KiCad 6 and everything changed. I couldn't figure how to manipulate side1 vs side2. I guess I need to take the course from Udemy. KiCad 6 looks and feels very complicate. I couldn't figure out on how to do a curve on the trace. More reading to do.

However eventually I figure out the hatched. I took the H89-USB-Serial pcb and applied the changes.

Apr 19, 2022, 3:47:24 PM4/19/22
to SEBHC
The course is on sale for $11.99 now. In the PCB editor, on the right you can select the layer you are drawing. There is no side 1/side 2 view for working on the PCB. On the lower right, there is a Selection Filter to make it easier to only select what you want. Under appearance on the right, you can select Objects and then adjust the transparency to hide the copper fills when you don't want to see them.

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 19, 2022, 7:08:48 PM4/19/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Darrell for the information. I will take the course as it is a new look and feel.

Norberto