H8 Improvements!

Norberto Collado

Jun 22, 2019, 10:54:34 PM6/22/19
to se...@googlegroups.com

Here is the updated list of H8 improvements. Based on feedback I added the following new tasks:

New tasks:

  1. New PAM37- Monitor with two banks.
    1. Bank 1 – Support H17/H67/37 for HDOS/Heath CP/M.

                                                               i.      Monitor will like be more like the H89 Monitor and no need to use the H8 keypad (optional)

    1. Bank 2 – Support to boot CP/M from the GIDE interface at amazing speeds.

                                                               i.      Monitor will like be more like the H89 Monitor and no need to use the H8 keypad (optional)

                                                             ii.      GIDE Prototype board received to test out the new monitor

  1. New H8 board with Network support – Support for either WIZ850io and/or WIZ550io
    1. Board layout complete, parts received, and soon ordering some boards to check it out. (Picture attached).

Pending work:

1. Update Z80 board - Done V3.1

2. Add USB support to Z80 board - Done, waiting on boards. Board received. I will send them out once I do verify the board layout.

3. Finalized Storage Controller to support the following: H17/H37/H67/Z67-IDE+, and IDE (GIDE). Very dense controller.

4. Video/HDMI/USB H19 controller with the Pi. Add serial to Network controller. Add serial to USB controller on second serial port.

- Network to serial adapter received for testing.

5. Final Z80 board update (V4.0) with 256K of ROM/512KB of RAM and Z8S180

6. Front Panel? - What to add/change???

Norberto

H8-WIZNET-BOARD.JPG

Norberto Collado

Jun 23, 2019, 8:25:51 PM6/23/19
to se...@googlegroups.com

The new DUART/USB board is fully operational (see attached picture), and only one cable is needed to enable the VDIP1 IC. Tested at all Z80 speeds and found no issues. You will need to use the H89 USB Vtalk, etc. utilities when using HDOS or Heath CP/M. The H8 USB utilities are no longer needed.

For CP/M 3 we have a new set of USB utilities and will post them at the website.

I will send a small invoice to cover for postage as the board is free of charges. The board Qty’s will match your Z80 V3.1 orders (US orders first, as International orders are more expensive on postage).

Thanks,

Norberto

DUART_USB_OK.jpg

Glenn Roberts

Jul 29, 2019, 9:18:57 PM7/29/19
to se...@googlegroups.com

Finally got all the parts to build out the DUART/USB daughterboard.  fired up fine the first time! super souped-up H8 (10Mhz; 512K RAM; Z67IDE+; Z37; USB; dual UART) now only needs 3 boards!  Pix attached…

p.s. Norberto: real time clock did not lose time this time so that’s good…!

IMG_2666.JPG
IMG_2665.JPG

Norberto Collado

Jul 29, 2019, 10:56:26 PM7/29/19
to se...@googlegroups.com

Great looking system. I’m glad that you are having a great time with such reliable system. Nice to see your USB software solution working as I loved it.

Norberto

Norberto Collado

Jul 30, 2019, 1:03:45 PM7/30/19
to se...@googlegroups.com
now only needs 3 boards!

For the future perhaps:
1. SPI - Network card
2. H19 Pi card along with H8 console Serial to Network on first UART, and then Serial to USB on second UART.
3. GIDE with two single CF cards.
4. H17/H37/67 Storage Controller on same board.

Norberto

norberto...@koyado.com

Aug 4, 2019, 1:02:22 AM8/4/19
to se...@googlegroups.com, Norby

SPI - Network card Status:

It has been a long day for Douglas and me today. Once I had the H8 console on the Internet, Douglas was able to debug his code “on real hardware”. This evening we had my H8 connected to his server and was able to do a DIR of his files. Even at 9600bps the speed was amazing. Once I was able to see the hardware attached to his server, I worked with Douglas to enable my iMAC to do the same. I just got my iMAC to connect with the H8 SPI network card and was able to copy all the C: drive contents to the iMAC. I’m impressed to see this application working on such board. I’m still impressed with Douglas abilities to debug the issues right away, so that I could move forward on my testing and debug.

So we have CP/NET working on the H8 to be able to access network drives anywhere in the world. We can connect to 8 different servers and mapped 16 logical drives. Just needs the H8 with the Z67, USB, and the SPI network card, who needs floppies. See attach log file with some details. Now I can download files into my iMAC and the H8 will be able to use them right away over the network without the need to transfer the files into the H8. You can run the files directly over the network to the network drive; in my case P: (P> vdir3).

My H8 was heavily used today and it was solid rock! I think we have a very stable development system with a CP/NET application that never did this before at such distances over the internet. Douglas calls it “Guinness”.

Douglas’ development is here: http://sebhc.durgadas.com/mms89/wiz850io/

Now to relax for the night and get me a nice cool beer! 😊

The only open is to make the java server work on Windows. It works nicely with Linux and the iMAC.

Thanks,

Norberto

putty.log

Glenn Roberts

Aug 4, 2019, 3:49:01 AM8/4/19
to se...@googlegroups.com, Norby
Amazing work guys!  Thanks to both of you for your vision, innovation, leadership and hard work!

Sent from my iPad

Douglas Miller

Aug 4, 2019, 8:52:09 AM8/4/19
to se...@googlegroups.com

Thank you, Norberto, for your help and dedication throughout this effort. This would just be a 30-year-old pipe dream if you had not chosen the same Teriyaki restaurant as I did! (inside joke...) It's been great working with you on these projects, although the timezone difference wasn't ideal. Too bad we couldn't meet over Teriyaki chicken and a Hite beer to hash out the issues!

You made some very big accomplishments today, hope that beer was a special one! Probably should be single-malt! You should be very proud of what you've accomplished!

norberto...@koyado.com

Aug 4, 2019, 11:23:55 AM8/4/19
to se...@googlegroups.com

As some customers tells us, “hardware without the correct software”, it is just sand or useless silicon. When I bought my H8, I never envision being able to do this. The only thing I saw was that I had a lot of slots and I could build a lot of boards, but was limited on software support.

Thank you and the H8 ran all night without any issues.

Norberto

Thank you, Norberto, for your help and dedication throughout this effort. This would just be a 30-year-old pipe dream if you had not chosen the same Teriyaki restaurant as I did! (inside joke...) It's been great working with you on these projects, although the timezone difference wasn't ideal. Too bad we couldn't meet over Teriyaki chicken and a Hite beer to hash out the issues!

norberto...@koyado.com

Aug 4, 2019, 11:51:35 AM8/4/19
to se...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Glenn!

I was thinking that it is easier to buy a cheap Linux mini-pc from Amazon to use it around the clock to store the H8 files and to share such system into the Internet to share files.

https://www.amazon.com/Linux-Ubuntu-Computer-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B018LWHBTG/ref=sr_1_43?keywords=linux+pcs&qid=1564933533&s=gateway&sr=8-43

Norberto

Amazing work guys!  Thanks to both of you for your vision, innovation, leadership and hard work!

Rick Streeter

Aug 4, 2019, 3:36:25 PM8/4/19
to se...@googlegroups.com
A Raspberry Pi 3 or 4 may be an inexpensive solution too.

Rick

Aug 4, 2019, 4:21:46 PM8/4/19
to se...@googlegroups.com

DRI did not see this as only connecting to MP/M servers. In their documentation they talk about using minis or mainframes to service CP/NET clients as well, circa 1982. The server I wrote (in JAVA) is reasonably well threaded and should support multiple clients fine. You can configure the maximum number of clients to allow at one time. You can also run multiple server instances on a single host, if you wanted. Back in the day, I ran H89s and diskless 4MHz Z80 clients on a MP/M-II server (also 4MHz Z80), but we didn't do much stress/performance testing. You would quickly reach the limits of the server with only a few clients.

On a side note, DRI had implemented a MAIL program that stored the messages on servers as simple files (no special server code needed). It was very crude, but might be interesting to setup. Of course, it pales in comparison to modern e-mail, but might be interesting to see what people were thinking about back in 1980.

Glenn Roberts

Aug 4, 2019, 4:57:29 PM8/4/19
to se...@googlegroups.com

Fascinating.  I somewhat recall the early days of networking. No standards on microcomputers so you had to pick your vendor/platform.  Back then I was using Unix systems, wowing people with “e-mail” and ftp file transfers, with no idea of what the Internet would someday become!

Glad we have your many years of experience and expertise to bring to this group!

Douglas Miller

Aug 4, 2019, 5:10:16 PM8/4/19
to se...@googlegroups.com

ftp?!?!?! My first Unix experience was at a university (after CP/NET) using UUCP! I'd have been in heaven if we had ftp! ;-) I'm thinking of a line from some Monty Python movie, about how easy you had it! (folks hanging on a wall in a dungeon maybe?)