H8 Circuit Board Mounting Brackets...

Joe Travis N6YPC

Oct 3, 2022, 1:48:19 PM10/3/22
to SEBHC
I'm wondering if anyone in the group has some H8 circuit board mounting brackets that I can purchase?  I currently need 3, preferably 2 of the "new" (flat) style and 1 "old" style.  Although I would be happy with any combination.  Thank you!

Regards,
Joe Travis n6ypc

norberto.collado koyado.com

Oct 3, 2022, 3:05:43 PM10/3/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Let me check my stock once I get home.

I'm wondering if anyone in the group has some H8 circuit board mounting brackets that I can purchase?  I currently need 3, preferably 2 of the "new" (flat) style and 1 "old" style.  Although I would be happy with any combination.  Thank you!

Regards,
Joe Travis n6ypc

Tom Wilson

Oct 3, 2022, 3:06:58 PM10/3/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

I have a few of the old style
I won't be home for six weeks

Tom

Terry Smedley

Oct 3, 2022, 9:52:39 PM10/3/22
to SEBHC
I've submitted a RFQ to ProtoCase for the flat brackets.  Pricing based on my preliminary design looks to be about the same as what Ken obtained in 2019.  There is a clearance issue to be resolved with the space between the bracket bend and PEM fastener.  I should have firm pricing for a quantity purchase in a few days.

Terry

Glenn Roberts

Oct 3, 2022, 10:13:34 PM10/3/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Great! Thanks Terry!

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 3, 2022, at 9:52 PM, Terry Smedley <terry....@gmail.com> wrote:

I've submitted a RFQ to ProtoCase for the flat brackets.  Pricing based on my preliminary design looks to be about the same as what Ken obtained in 2019.  There is a clearance issue to be resolved with the space between the bracket bend and PEM fastener.  I should have firm pricing for a quantity purchase in a few days.

Joseph Travis

Oct 5, 2022, 3:16:32 PM10/5/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for responding.  'Hopefully we (I) will see some soon.  I've got a couple unfinished boards that need them for mounting / heat sinking the regulators.

Regards,
Joe

Terry Smedley

Oct 5, 2022, 8:39:40 PM10/5/22
to SEBHC
I ordered a quantity one prototype of a flat bracket today to check my design file.  I should have it by the middle of next week.

The estimates for flat bracket fabrication (subject to minor adjustments based on the prototype results):

"Economy" turnaround (2-3 weeks ARO):

10           $25.37/ea
25           $11.35/ea
50           $8.12/ea

"Priority" turnaround (2-3 days ARO):

10         $35.86/ea
25         $15.03/ea
50         $11.03/ea

Clearly it makes no sense to order fewer than 25.    The 25/50 prices are comparable to what Ken obtained several years ago.  Those prices include shipping to a single US address.  There's a $40 setup fee which is waived on subsequent reorders if there are no design changes.  I've already paid that fee for the quantity one prototype so unless changes are needed, it will be waived for a group order.

I'll post photos and results of the prototype as soon as FedEx delivers it.

Terry

Joseph Travis

Oct 5, 2022, 9:14:12 PM10/5/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Terry.  I imagine we (as a group) should have no problem getting to 50 to get the best pricing.  I'm sure I'll need / want more in the future and am willing to buy extra to help reduce the cost.  I'd be willing to buy 10 at the $8.12 price.

Regards,
Joe

Steven Shumaker

Oct 5, 2022, 9:43:43 PM10/5/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

I'd go 10 at that price as well

Steve

norberto.collado koyado.com

Oct 5, 2022, 10:12:30 PM10/5/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Joe,

I still have some in stock of each one.

Thanks,

Norberto

Joseph Travis

Oct 5, 2022, 11:14:13 PM10/5/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Norberto, I sent you a separate email.

Terry, I'll still buy the 10 just to help get these ordered.

Thank you both!

Terry Smedley

Oct 14, 2022, 8:49:58 PM10/14/22
to SEBHC
I received the prototype "flat bracket" today.  Dimensions and fit check out fine.  The photo shows my bracket stacked on top of an original Heath bracket.  I'm working on a way to make these available to the group.

Terry

(This design uses PEM "FEX" clinch nuts which cleared the bend "keep out" area more easily than the PEM "CLA" clinch nuts originally used by Heath.)

PXL_20221015_001745749[1].jpg

norberto.collado koyado.com

Oct 14, 2022, 10:14:14 PM10/14/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Very nice Terry!

Oct 21, 2022, 6:38:06 AM10/21/22
to SEBHC
Todd Goodman has agreed to inventory these brackets for sale to the group.   They are on order, and Todd should have them in four to six weeks.   He will be posting information about pricing and availability when he gets a break in his schedule.

Thanks for agreeing to take on the bracket distribution, Todd!

Terry

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2022, 8:25:24 AM10/21/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

This is a fantastic outcome. Thanks so much to Terry for finding a vendor who can fabricate these brackets, and for Todd for helping order and distribute them. As I recall from the discussions here there should be lots of demand for these as people build out the new boards.

Thanks guys!

Doty, James

Oct 21, 2022, 10:53:48 AM10/21/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
That's great news.

I hadn't been paying attention and I sure could use some PC board mounts myself.

Yay!

"Pizza must be good for you.  It has dairy products, bread, veggies, and meat!  Pizza is like a flat, round food pyramid."

James A. Doty February 9, 2007

Steven Feinsmith

Oct 21, 2022, 1:14:43 PM10/21/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
That is great for Todd Goodman to get brackets into his inventory. I forward to purchasing the brackets for my projects.

Thanks,
Steven

Todd Goodman

Dec 11, 2022, 11:31:04 AM12/11/22
to SEBHC
Hi,

I've received the brackets that Terry did all the work sourcing, checking, and getting me in touch with the sales person.

They're $8 each and shipping in the US is a flat rate $10.40

I've also received Norberto's H8-Z5-4-Serial-Console-Cassette-IO board (https://koyado.com/heathkit/New-H8-Website/h8-z5-4-serial-console-cassette-io.html).  Unfortunately customs is charging 35% duty so the price is $22 per board.

Shipping for those boards (and others of the same size) is a flat rate $10.60

Thanks!

Todd

P.S. - Glenn, I've been replying to you, including the latest email from you I've received.  Both from my gmail as well as my bonedaddy.net accounts.

Joseph Travis

Dec 11, 2022, 12:58:22 PM12/11/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
Is it too late to double check / correct the dimensions?  I've noticed the "new" style brackets are off by ~ 0.1" compared to the original style.  When a board using the "new" style is placed in front of a board with an original bracket, the back of the board in front often touches the bracket of the board behind it.

This brings back bad memories (no pun intended) of the H-8-1 4K/8K memory board with it's 8 VDC buss shorting against the bracket of the board behind it.  I'm concerned enough that I placed kapton tape on the back of my HA-8-3-1 board even though the board has a "protective" coating on it.

Regards,
Joe Travis n6ypc

Terry Smedley

Dec 11, 2022, 1:37:50 PM12/11/22
to SEBHC
Joe:

Do you have one of the new brackets that Todd just received, or are you referring to the previous flat brackets that were sourced the group some time ago?

I did not see the alignment issue you referred to with the prototypes I made.  I haven't yet laid hands on the brackets that Todd now has to see if they are somehow different than the prototype.

Todd:

You may want to hold up on shipping more of these brackets until I get one of the new ones from your batch to confirm the dimensions.  If the design is flawed, I will do what I can to make you and those that have purchased them whole.

tas

Joseph Travis

Dec 11, 2022, 1:41:30 PM12/11/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
The brackets I have, I obtained from Norberto a couple months ago.

Joe

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SEBHC" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/02490cd7-46a1-4d10-b23f-d07bb42be656n%40googlegroups.com.

Terry Smedley

Dec 11, 2022, 1:48:34 PM12/11/22
to SEBHC
As soon as I receive a sample of Todd's current inventory,  I will confirm the dimensions for the clearance issue you described.  The brackets he now has were designed from scratch based on measurements from a Heath OEM bracket.  There's a photograph in this thread somewhere that shows the two lined up next to each other.  I will double check ASAP but I believe the redesign should be accurate.,

tas

Glenn Roberts

Dec 11, 2022, 2:40:01 PM12/11/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
And to manage expectation (correct me if I’m wrong) I believe these are “flangeless” brackets designed to have the regulator mount flush. Norberto’s board layouts accommodate this. So I don’t think there will be the issue of the sort Joe is referring to. The brackets that Norberto sent to Joe would have been from a previous order and a different design and vendor… I think Ken Owen did that order.

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 11, 2022, at 1:48 PM, Terry Smedley <terry....@gmail.com> wrote:

As soon as I receive a sample of Todd's current inventory,  I will confirm the dimensions for the clearance issue you described.  The brackets he now has were designed from scratch based on measurements from a Heath OEM bracket.  There's a photograph in this thread somewhere that shows the two lined up next to each other.  I will double check ASAP but I believe the redesign should be accurate.,

Terry Smedley

Dec 26, 2022, 10:24:47 PM12/26/22
to SEBHC
I received the (flat) brackets from Todd and can confirm that the dimensions are accurate and there is no problem with boards being positioned differently than with the OEM brackets.  As Glenn noted, these are flat brackets - no right angle flange.  There is a photograph of the brackets earlier in this thread.  The two photographs attached attempt to show the spacing between an OEM flanged bracket and these flat brackets, when positioned both to the front and to the rear of the OEM bracket.

In case you were wondering why it took so long to do the measurements....Todd mailed them to me the day Joe made his inquiry.  But they took the scenic route from Todd to me, spending several days in Guam and a week in Honolulu, before eventually making their way here via Seattle.  I hope they had a nice South Pacific vacation.

tas

H8BKT-1.jpg
H8BKT-2.jpg

Joseph Travis

Dec 26, 2022, 10:38:56 PM12/26/22
to se...@googlegroups.com
'Musta been a military flight.  I traveled that route a couple times.  Thanks for the update!  BTW, I'd like to buy 3-4 if I may.

Joe

Terry Smedley

Dec 26, 2022, 11:01:09 PM12/26/22
to SEBHC
Joe:

Todd has these in stock, and would be happy to fill orders sent to him.

tas

Todd Goodman

Dec 28, 2022, 2:52:02 PM12/28/22
to se...@googlegroups.com

Yes, all the way from New Hampshire to Guam and then Hawaii and then back to the continental US in Washington!!!

Crazy!

I'm glad they finally arrived Terry

Todd