Need new shoes

Bill Gobie

Oct 13, 2022, 1:19:25 PM10/13/22
to Randonneurs USA, SIR Mail List
As it seems impossible to get replacement walking pads for my Giro Republics I need to find some new shoes. I hope this group can point me to a couple of options. Desired features:

Replaceable walking pads
Mountain cleats
Very stiff yet walkable, so probably a fair amount of rocker
Large and wide sizes because I use orthotics and want room for heavy winter socks

TIA

Bill

Susan Otcenas

Oct 13, 2022, 1:34:15 PM10/13/22
to gobie...@gmail.com, Randonneurs USA, SIR Mail List
SIDI Dragon Mega.

Has everything you are looking for.   They are also expensive.   BUT, I’m still wearing the same pair of SIDI Dragons I bought in early 2011.  11 years!   I consider that an excellent value for the money considering the # of miles I’ve ridden in those 11 years.  I’ve replaced the walking pads several times as well as the straps, but the shoes themselves are still rock solid.

Susan

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 13, 2022, at 10:19 AM, Bill Gobie <gobie...@gmail.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Seattle International Randonneurs" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/seattlerando/CA%2Bsg%3DPr-Fkoq3D3Ruf496Ek2v-UvsfJO%3D%3Dt1z-GU8M0PfA5J_Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Bill Gobie

Oct 13, 2022, 2:17:00 PM10/13/22
to Susan Otcenas, Randonneurs USA, SIR Mail List
Sounds good. My Giros may be almost as old. Now just have to find some. I suppose the odds are good all Sidis fit the same so I should be able to try some lower-end models and then order the right size.

Bill

Bradley Hawkins

Oct 13, 2022, 2:26:43 PM10/13/22
to gobie...@gmail.com, Susan Otcenas, Randonneurs USA, SIR Mail List
Do not buy Bontrager gravel shoes. The heel material falls apart in months. Mine are the  $165 level shoes. Both of them the same way and at the same time.

IMG_7972.jpg

Bradley Hawkins
composer, arranger, & cellist

Gary Cruce

Oct 13, 2022, 4:37:42 PM10/13/22
to hawk...@gmail.com, gobie...@gmail.com, Susan Otcenas, Randonneurs USA, SIR Mail List
Another to consider are the Lake MX168 Enduro shoes.  I have EEE feet and their wide version fits very well.

Ronald Long

Oct 13, 2022, 5:34:36 PM10/13/22
to Susan Otcenas, Bill Gobie, Randonneurs USA, SIR Mail List
+1 for Sidi. I have 3 pair, and, as Susan said, worth the $$$. Two pair I found on sale online. I can fit two pair of wool socks in the wide ones.

aret...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2022, 6:48:51 PM10/13/22
to Seattle International Randonneurs
I can also recommend Lake shoes for folks with wide feet. Their diversity of sizing / widths is really great, but the shoe sizing across models varies a lot:

So be sure you measure properly, or I'd suggest working with a fitter who can help pick the right one.

Lynne Fitz

Oct 19, 2022, 3:20:08 PM10/19/22
to Seattle International Randonneurs
Another vote for Lakes.  I have wide feet AND a voluminous foot (high instep).  Sidis just didn’t work.  I tried.