Updates re: Mon & Wed nights

Drew Barnett

Jun 24, 2019, 5:50:08 PM6/24/19
to seattlego
Hey Go fans,

With Nick taking off for the summer, management and I have been discussing the situation and I've decided to take over the Monday night slot through the end of August. Unfortunately, this means that the Wednesday night AI study group will be suspended, but we hope that this will give me some time to collect what we've been working on and build a more formal curriculum for when we return in September. If you are interested in our AI learning research and can't wait until then, we have a Slack channel you can join <http://seago-deep.slack.com/> or you can reach me by email directly.

With that out of the way, let's talk Monday nights! From now until the end of August, I plan on being at the Go Center Monday nights from 6:30-8:30 (hopefully one hour lecture, one hour play time). As it stands, I have the following series of lectures planned out:

7/1 - Basic Shapes
7/8 - Tewari (Move Order) Analysis
7/15 - When to Tenuki
7/22 - Evaluating Ko & Ko Threats
7/29 - 3-5 and 4-5 Joseki Overview
8/5 - Cosmic Fuseki (and What to Do)
8/12 - How to Keep Your Cool in a Fight
8/19 - TBD
8/25 - TBD

These will primarily be aimed at lower DDK-strength players, but of course upper DDK players are more than welcome. That said, some of these lectures are specifically aimed at players of 19x19 boards only, so if you are a DDK player who still plays mostly or entirely on smaller boards, those lectures may naturally be of less value to you. Thematically, later lectures will build off of some of the ideas of earlier lectures, but material is divided up in such a way as to make each unit individually digestible, and attending every week is by no means necessary to get something out of them.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to Mike or me. Hope to see you there!

-Drew