Ideas page moved across to wiki

Cameron Shorter

Apr 10, 2019, 9:34:07 AM4/10/19
to season-of-d...@googlegroups.com
I've moved my ideas page across to the OSGeo wiki (from google docs).

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Season_of_Docs_Ideas_2019

People can edit in the wiki now.

The QGIS section could possibly have ideas refined or added to.

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Dashamir Hoxha

Apr 10, 2019, 10:08:32 AM4/10/19
On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 3:34 PM Cameron Shorter <cameron...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've moved my ideas page across to the OSGeo wiki (from google docs).

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Season_of_Docs_Ideas_2019

People can edit in the wiki now.

The QGIS section could possibly have ideas refined or added to.

I read somewhere that the first edition of GSoD, being a pilot one, is going to accept at most 2 projects per organization.
Is this true? Or maybe not for umbrella organizations?

Thanks,
Dashamir

Cameron Shorter

Apr 10, 2019, 3:16:02 PM4/10/19

On 11/4/19 12:08 am, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:

> I read somewhere that the first edition of GSoD, being a pilot one, is
> going to accept at most 2 projects per organization.
> Is this true? Or maybe not for umbrella organizations?

Hi Dashamir,

Yes, SeasonOfDocs will be a pilot with only one or two people per
organisation, ~ 50 spots in total. This is significantly less that
Google's Summer of Code initiatives. I feel we are building a
compelling  proposal and will likely be awarded one or two paid senior
technical writers, but no more.

However, it is great to see so many of our community volunteering to
help. We have a significant depth of expertise among ourselves and I see
us amplifying the SeasonOfDocs significantly through our efforts.

Fred Williams

May 9, 2019, 1:22:18 PM5/9/19
to Season of Docs - Discuss
Hi Cameron,

Sorry to break into your threads, but this seemed the best place to post.  (I cannot add something to your wiki talk page.)

I'd like to offer your project this fraktal structure/template for presenting conceptual topics, steps, and outcomes in documentation.  (See:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mlFpwEkIVo   skip to 12:15)

Connect with me if you're interested.  Use:    fred williams williamstechnial prague writer    to find me quickly.

best,

Fred

Cameron Shorter

May 10, 2019, 5:36:25 PM5/10/19
to Fred Williams, Season of Docs - Discuss, Season...@lists.osgeo.org
Hi Fred,
Thanks for reaching out. I've watched your video from start to end (AG001). I found it very interesting.
(In summary for those watching: you've recommended specific story patterns which make technical documentation more impactful, and you have referenced research backing this up.) I'd love to link to a written version of this video. Do you have one? Or could you create one?

I'm hopeful you will bring your domain expertise into building best practice template(s) that can be used by the rest of the world.  Concept so far is here: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Season_of_Docs_Ideas_2019#Best_practice_templates Are you interested?

Warm regards, Cameron