Invalid certificates after offline sgtool generation

Jan Pešek

Dec 18, 2018, 9:44:30 AM12/18/18
to Search Guard Community Forum
Hi,
I am using elasticsearch 6.5.3 with searchguard 6-6.5.3-23.2. (jre1.8.0_181, CentOS Linux 7).

I used sgtool to generate node and CA certificate, but elastic won't start due to:

SSL Problem General OpenSslEngine problem javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: General OpenSslEngine problem
Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

In older 6.3.2 version were this steps and configurations ok. Also I put "netty-tcnative-openssl-1.1.0j-static-2.0.15.Final-fedora-linux-x86_64-plugins-search-guard-6" to plugins/search-guard-6/

certs_def.yml for sgtool:

ca:
  root
:
    dn
: CN=root.ca
    keysize
: 4096
    pkPassword
: auto
    validityDays
: 3650
    file
: root-ca
nodes
:

- name: elasticsearchNode
    dn
: CN=elasticsearch.node
    ip
: ip_addr
clients
:

- name: admin
    dn
: CN=admin
    admin
: true

elasticsearch.yml:

cluster.name: elastic-cluster
node
.name: elasticsearchNode
path
.data: /elastic/data/elasticsearch
path
.logs: /elastic/log/elasticsearch
bootstrap
.memory_lock: true
network
.host: ip_addr
http
.port: 9200

searchguard
.roles_mapping_resolution: BACKENDROLES_ONLY

searchguard
.ssl.transport.pemcert_filepath: certs/elasticsearchNode.pem
searchguard
.ssl.transport.pemkey_filepath: certs/elasticsearchNode.key
searchguard
.ssl.transport.pemtrustedcas_filepath: certs/root-ca.pem
searchguard
.ssl.transport.enforce_hostname_verification: false
searchguard
.ssl.transport.resolve_hostname: false
searchguard
.ssl.http.enabled: true
searchguard
.ssl.http.pemcert_filepath: certs/elasticsearchNode.pem
searchguard
.ssl.http.pemkey_filepath: certs/elasticsearchNode.key
searchguard
.ssl.http.pemtrustedcas_filepath: certs/root-ca.pem
searchguard
.allow_unsafe_democertificates: false
searchguard
.allow_default_init_sgindex: false
searchguard
.authcz.admin_dn:

- CN=admin

searchguard
.ssl.http.enabled_protocols:

- "TLSv1.2"
searchguard
.ssl.transport.enabled_protocols:

- "TLSv1.2"

searchguard
.enterprise_modules_enabled: false

Thanks in advance.

SG

Dec 18, 2018, 2:22:58 PM12/18/18
to search...@googlegroups.com
Which version of the offline tls tool did you use?

emisar

Dec 19, 2018, 1:40:14 PM12/19/18
to search...@googlegroups.com
I'm using latest version search-guard-tlstool-1.5

SG

Dec 19, 2018, 5:51:23 PM12/19/18
to search...@googlegroups.com
That's pretty strange.

Can you post a more complete log file (from where the node starts) until the error happens with full stack trace included?
Please also try removing the tcnative jars from all nodes (and start them again) to so that we can see if this is a OpenSSL related problem or a general SSL problem.

> Am 19.12.2018 um 19:40 schrieb emisar <j.pe...@gmail.com>:
>
> I'm using latest version search-guard-tlstool-1.5
>
> Dne úterý 18. prosince 2018 20:22:58 UTC+1 Search Guard napsal(a):
> Which version of the offline tls tool did you use?
>

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/search-guard/db7f08d2-aecf-4161-b40b-f8722ab03e12%40googlegroups.com.

emisar

Dec 19, 2018, 7:01:09 PM12/19/18
to Search Guard Community Forum
I found out, error comes only if I try to run multinode cluster and error is thrown when zen.pinging.
My bad, the others nodes has different CA, because of older elastic running on same port
I hate to bother you. Thanks for your time.