Volunteer Project

Benjamin Wanicur

Aug 15, 2020, 5:41:38 PM8/15/20
to SD Ruby
Hello SD Ruby Community!

I recently volunteered to help a wonderful organization build a web app to help manage events / volunteers.  The Duwara Organization focuses on providing meals, clothes, and even showers to the unsheltered population.  You can learn more about them here:

https://www.duwara.org/

About me:  I've been working with Ruby and web development for almost 15 years.  I'm still having fun :)  I included my linkedin and github profile links below.  I have a full time gig, but I will still be leading the project.

The plan:
  • - Rails 6 web app (no single page app here)
  • - JS Sprinkles (probably using stimulus.js)
  • - Use Github for source control and project management
  • - Keep it simple
  • - Learn something
  • - Have fun!

I'm looking for volunteers.  Students are welcome, but please have some experience with Ruby / Rails.  People with front-end design skills are more than welcome.

I hope everyone is staying well and I look forward to meeting some great volunteers soon!

Ben Wanicur

Ylan Segal

Aug 17, 2020, 5:33:53 PM8/17/20
to sdr...@googlegroups.com
Ben,

Good for you! My plate is full at the moment, but this sounds like a worthwhile project and solid choice of technology.

Good luck!

--
Ylan Segal

Kyle Stengline

Aug 17, 2020, 7:30:14 PM8/17/20
to sdr...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ben,

I’d be interested in helping out.
If you’re still looking for volunteers, could you email me directly and we could talk more on this?

Cheers,
Kyle Stengline

On Aug 15, 2020, at 14:41, Benjamin Wanicur <bwan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello SD Ruby Community!