Subsequent queries

John Currey

May 22, 2022, 2:31:22 PM5/22/22
to SDQL API

Joe Meyer

May 27, 2022, 1:11:32 PM5/27/22
to sdq...@googlegroups.com
John and SDQLAPI Friends,

I see that the first 2 are  'irregular' queries: they have a combination of aggregator and non-aggregator fields.
The 3rd one works because the fields are all aggregators.

Best regards,

Joe Meyer
Sports Database LLC

John Currey

May 27, 2022, 6:28:44 PM5/27/22
to SDQL API
Got it, thanks!

John Currey

May 28, 2022, 9:11:54 PM5/28/22
to SDQL API
I thought I understood, but I do not. I'm sure those queries worked as is in S2.

Here is the example from the Subsequent Queries page of the manual - https://s3.sportsdatabase.com/static/Manual/subsequent.html.
  • date,R(team),A(W) @ tA(points) > 10+oA(points) and team | $2,$3 @ 20170112 in $1
Not all parameters in that example are aggregators. The query fails:

Thanks

Joe Meyer

May 29, 2022, 10:02:50 AM5/29/22
to sdq...@googlegroups.com
John and SDQLAPI Friend,

I see that, indeed, SDQL3 is not handling irregular queries properly.

Thanks for the good debugging and I'll get my best Python programmer on that.

Best regards,

Joe Meyer
Sports Database LLC

Joe Meyer

May 30, 2022, 8:16:51 PM5/30/22
to sdq...@googlegroups.com
John and SDQL API Friends,

I believe subsequent queries are now working correctly.

Please let me know if you continue to see errors.

Best regards,

Joe Meyer
Sports Database LLC

John Currey

May 31, 2022, 6:43:17 PM5/31/22
to SDQL API
Thanks Joe!

John Currey

Jun 26, 2022, 1:17:41 PM6/26/22
to SDQL API
I'm trying a simple subsequent query. I believe it should show home teams and their opponent who are playing on 6/26. It's only showing the Twin and White Sox who are not playing each other today and the Twins are away.

https://s3.sportsdatabase.com/MLB/query.html?sdql=date%2CR%28team%29%2CR%28o%3Ateam%29%2CR%28site%29%40season%3D2022+and+H+%7C+%242%2C%243%2C%244%4020220626+in+date&submit=++S+D+Q+L+%21++

Thanks.

Joe Meyer

Jun 26, 2022, 2:12:48 PM6/26/22
to sdq...@googlegroups.com
John and SDQL Friends,

The Replace aggregator provides the last value of its argument for each query group.

The R(team) in your primary SDQL:

date,R(team),R(o:team),R(site)@season=2022 and H

simply provides the last value of team for season=2022 and H - which happens to be the White Sox

To build a subsequent query, I'd suggest first looking at the results of the primary query.

best regards,

Joe Meyer
Sports Database LLC

John Currey

Jun 26, 2022, 3:40:00 PM6/26/22
to SDQL API

Joe Meyer

Jun 26, 2022, 4:12:13 PM6/26/22
to sdq...@googlegroups.com
John and SDQL Friends,

I think you want to start with finding the dates of all team-opp matchup, like this:

date,R(team),R(o:team)@season=2022 and H and team and o:team|

Best regards,

Joe Meyer
Sports Database LLC

John Currey

Jun 26, 2022, 4:49:01 PM6/26/22
to SDQL API
OK, got it.  Thanks.

John Currey

Jun 26, 2022, 5:15:14 PM6/26/22
to SDQL API
I notice that the alias works as expected in the subsequent query as a field, but the alias defined in the main query does not become the column heading when the $variable is used as it did in S2.