trend-spotting Application

Andrew West

Nov 21, 2021, 3:15:42 PM11/21/21
to SDQL API
Hey Guys,

This is a prototype for an app I have been working on the last couple of years. It is not fully built out yet, by any stretch of the imagination.

But it shows the power of SDQL and further highlights that SDQL3 can now be used to build web applications.

I am using the free version of heroku, so it might crash if too many people try to hit it at one point, but I would love any feedback you wish to provide:

https://trend-spotting-client-aaw.herokuapp.com/

Joe Meyer

Nov 21, 2021, 4:53:59 PM11/21/21
to sdq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

that looks very nice and my eyes could use a little more contrast in the colors.

Can you please share a few clues for others maybe looking to build an SDQL API app?
What are the pieces involved and how did you hook them together?

Best regards,

Joe Meyer
Sports Database LLC

Andrew West

Nov 21, 2021, 11:36:19 PM11/21/21
to SDQL API
Thanks Joe,

I will brighten some of the colors to create more contrast.

The stack is ReactJS-Redux with a Node.js/Express backend, using Axios to make the API calls to SDQL.

I find it works best to query the SDQL API from my own Express.js server rather than make the API calls directly from the client. It is more secure and separates concerns. I don't have a database connected right now, but I will add one when I write the authentication piece.

I loosely follow the atomic design pattern with React.js, but you could build an SDQL app using any front end framework. I have another one written in Angular. I think the key is writing the API in a way that keeps your requests from the client slim and handling all of the SDQL queries in the your backend routes.

I am happy to answer any other questions. Thanks for checking it out.

- Andrew

charlie

Nov 22, 2021, 7:36:53 AM11/22/21
to SDQL API
Hello Andrew,

nice job, and thank you for share what you're working on. I have a question about the API. I worked with the old SDQL API, but this new version seems like you have to maintain your own DB. Is it? Did you push to DB the data you are showing in the app?
If not, could you please share what DB are you quering and how?

Regards

Andrew West

Nov 22, 2021, 2:34:10 PM11/22/21
to SDQL API

Hey Charlie,

I am just using the default data that is returned from the API, which is jCurrey's data. Thanks a lot jCurrey for providing that NBA data.

I tried to find a reliable and cost-effective API I could use to seed my own SDQL database, but I just didn't have the time. I do plan on creating my own database in the future, but I need to write an API that can scrape box scores first, since I can't find any APIs that offer this data effectively.

Have you found any good APIs for fetching sports data, without having to scrape?

Regards,

Andrew

charlie

Nov 29, 2021, 6:23:29 PM11/29/21
to SDQL API

Thank you Andrew,
It's hard to find any good API for free. Searching the web I found thesportsdb, but I don't know how reliable is the data and if it is up to date.

Cheers

Joe Meyer

Nov 29, 2021, 6:58:34 PM11/29/21
to sdq...@googlegroups.com
Charlie and SDQL API Friends,

There are several free sports APIs at https://rapidapi.com/category/Sports

 and, if you can navigate the open source universe:

Best regards,

Joe Meyer

charlie

Dec 3, 2021, 6:22:32 AM12/3/21
to SDQL API
Nice!
rapidapi looks good but some APIs free plan are a little bit tight. I'll check it harder later.

Thank you Joe

A.C.

Jan 28, 2022, 3:49:34 PM1/28/22
to SDQL API
Hi Andrew,
This looks really interesting.  I am working on a project that is related to  your app and was wondering if you had time to talk next week?  (Looks like I don't have permission to directly message through this Group.)
Thanks!

Andrew West

Jan 28, 2022, 5:23:48 PM1/28/22
to SDQL API
Hey A.C.

I sent you an email. Feel free to reach out to me at wes...@colorado.edu. Talk to you soon.

Andrew

Joe Meyer

Jan 28, 2022, 7:40:11 PM1/28/22
to sdq...@googlegroups.com
AC and Andrew,

1 + 1 = 10

and I look forward to what you build with the SDQL API.

Best regards,

Joe Meyer
Sports Database LLC