On Behalf of Environmentalists I Apologize

Robert Sroufe

Jul 1, 2020, 10:05:39 AM7/1/20
to sco...@googlegroups.com
As a follow up to the Planet of the Humans thread and earlier posts, this book has caught my attention and I wanted to see how you all would respond to something like this book and webpage link below being brought up in your classrooms?
Here is some of what the author says is in this book:
I feel an obligation to apologize for how badly we environmentalists have misled the public. Here are some facts few people know:
  • Humans are not causing a “sixth mass extinction”
  • The Amazon is not “the lungs of the world”
  • Climate change is not making natural disasters worse
  • Fires have declined 25% around the world since 2003
  • The amount of land we use for meat — humankind’s biggest use of land — has declined by an area nearly as large as Alaska
  • The build-up of wood fuel and more houses near forests, not climate change, explain why there are more, and more dangerous, fires in Australia and California
  • Carbon emissions have been declining in rich nations for decades and peaked in Britain, Germany and France in the mid-seventies
  • Adapting to life below sea level made the Netherlands rich not poor
  • We produce 25% more food than we need and food surpluses will continue to rise as the world gets hotter
  • Habitat loss and the direct killing of wild animals are bigger threats to species than climate change
  • Wood fuel is far worse for people and wildlife than fossil fuels
  • Preventing future pandemics requires more not less “industrial” agriculture

Ashley Colby

Jul 1, 2020, 10:55:02 AM7/1/20
to robert...@gmail.com, SCORAI
I hadn't heard of this book, but upon first reading the article it seems there are likely both some valuable insights and some incorrect conclusions (some of the claims he makes in the article have *very* inconclusive evidence, so his self-assuredness is a red flag). I think it's incredibly important, now more than ever, that we actually entertain heterodox assertions, welcome them into the debate, get into the details, and come to (potentially new, or reinforcing already-held) conclusions.

If this were brought up in a classroom where I was teaching, I'd get into the text, the sources, and use it to teach critical thinking and interrogating scientific claims. We could go through points one by one and investigate them together as a class.

Ashley Colby Fitzgerald

ash...@rizomafieldschool.com

PhD, Environmental Sociology

Co-founder Rizoma Field School

Colonia, Uruguay

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 11:05 AM Robert Sroufe <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
As a follow up to the Plant of the Humans thread and earlier posts, this book has caught my attention and I wanted to see how you all would respond to something like this book and webpage link below being brought up in your classrooms?

R. Sroue

--
- Subscribe to SCORAI: http://eepurl.com/dHXawz
- Too many emails? Send an email to rob...@orzanna.de and change to a digest mode.

Robert Sroufe

Jul 1, 2020, 11:07:25 AM7/1/20
to SCORAI
Ashley,
I have a couple of reasons for posting this.  The first was to bring it to people's attention as it is getting some traction from deniers and right-wing leaning groups.  The second, was to see responses like yours and to try and preplan for how to react in class when time is not planned for push back on topics.  I greatly appreciate your response and fully agree with both the inclusion of this into discussion and seeing it as an opportunity for a critical thinking breakout exercise.
Thanks,
R. Sroufe

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 10:55:02 AM UTC-4, ashley wrote:
[...]

JOHN DE GRAAF,* JOHN DE GRAAF

Jul 1, 2020, 11:57:19 AM7/1/20
to robert...@gmail.com, SCORAI
Despite what he may have done in the 70s, Michael Shellenberger (and his sidekick Ted Nordhaus) of the pro-nuclear Breakthrough Institute has a long history as a cheerleader for consumerism and industrialism and especially nuclear power and the nuclear power industry.  These sorts of books appear periodically to the delight of FOX News, but clearly, the vast majority of scientists do believe in the disaster that is anthropogenic climate change and industrial, chemical agriculture.  Of course, Shellenberger is right on some specific points, but his overall thesis is not.  And it does not address the overall depletion of resources, impact of mining etc. that are byproducts of consumer society.  Read the book with a skeptical eye.  Just my two cents after following this guys work for about 20 years.  I suspect the smart scientists will start refuting this book pretty quickly.

best,
John

John de Graaf

www.johndegraaf.com

- Submit an item to next newsletter: lizb....@gmail.com
- Submit a new blog post: hbr...@clarku.edu
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SCORAI" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scorai/56ad3324-0853-4bcd-8e23-291ac1fc40d8o%40googlegroups.com.

Tom Abeles

Jul 1, 2020, 11:59:41 AM7/1/20
to robert...@gmail.com, SCORAI
I think it is very important to consider this volume by members of SCORAI but within the context of a number of other "credible" publications:

Seba, Tony, Disruption of Energy and Transportation
Naam, Ramez, Exponential Energy
McAfee, Andrew, More from Less
and the criticism of Lomberg's The Skeptical Environmentalist
as well as the writings of, for example, Roger Pielke, Jr and others who have been attacked by both the right and the left ,many of whom have vested interests.

It might be suitable for a graduate seminar, but I have reservations in its use in an undergraduate classroom until the arguments on the various sides are well understood at the professional level, considering both those within academia and those in the practice.
tom
tom abeles

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 9:05 AM Robert Sroufe <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
As a follow up to the Plant of the Humans thread and earlier posts, this book has caught my attention and I wanted to see how you all would respond to something like this book and webpage link below being brought up in your classrooms?

R. Sroue

--
- Subscribe to SCORAI: http://eepurl.com/dHXawz
- Too many emails? Send an email to rob...@orzanna.de and change to a digest mode.
- Submit an item to next newsletter: lizb....@gmail.com
- Submit a new blog post: hbr...@clarku.edu

Tom Walker

Jul 1, 2020, 12:28:13 PM7/1/20
to John de Graaf, robert...@gmail.com, SCORAI
Shellenbergler's article raises an important point: why do people argue in bad faith and present false or misleading information? The answer is because it works. It only works, though, if they are defending the entrenched interests of the powerful. There is no "rebutting" an argument offered in bad faith or fact checking "alternative facts." "Counter arguments" only draw attention to the bad faith argument, which is what the perpetrator wants.

What I believe is a more effective response than replying to the bad faith argument is to educate people in the identification of bull shit artists.

Cheers,

Tom Walker (Sandwichman)

Rees, William

Jul 1, 2020, 5:45:19 PM7/1/20
to John de Graaf, lumpo...@gmail.com, robert...@gmail.com, SCORAI

For what it's worth, here is how I described the Shellenberger article in a discussion with some other friends:

Schellenberger is a well-known 'ecological modernist' and co-founder of the Breakthrough Institute. The purpose of the latter seems to be to promote the idea of human exceptionalism (we aren't bound by natural laws or biophysical constraints, like other species) which all but dispels any concern that there might be limits to material growth.  And by the way, it doesn't much matter what happens to other species as humans continue to fill up  the ecosphere.

Seeing through this conceptual lens is the only way one can make sense of Schellenberg's list of 'facts'.

By contrast, and adopting a somewhat less presumptuous lens, it is easy to challenge any one of his so-called facts.  Some are simply false, others are misleading half-truths and still others are arguably irrelevant to his rejection of climate change as issue.  For example, he asserts:  "Netherlands became rich not poor while adapting to life below sea level."

Now I suppose his point might be that everyone can become rich as they adapt to rising sea levels, so sea level rise is no biggie. But has Schellenberger forgotten that much of the Netherlands' wealth actually came from its colonial history of exploiting other parts of the world, a process that continues through market means today? Consider that in ecological terms, the Dutch mostly live elsewhere on Earth, i.e., on the product of five times their domestic ecologically productive land/water. The country is running a massive ecological deficit. Looking solely at food production, Holland has only about 1/6th the agricultural land needed to support its own population and can survive only because of trade.

We might also point out that if all 7.8 billion people lived like the Dutch do today, we would need the biophysical equivalent of three Earth-like planets.

In any case, this article sinks itself by isolating climate change as the (non)problem. This essentially marginalizes the myriad other symptoms of generalized overshoot (Netherlands is a micro-example of the global situation). It also ignores complexity complications such as lags and threshold events in natural processes.

Of course, it's easy to do all this if your lens is incapable of detecting overshoot in the first place.

His is bound to be a scary book, actually.

Bill

Rees, William

Jul 2, 2020, 9:28:44 PM7/2/20
to robert...@gmail.com, SCORAI, jo...@comcast.net

Thanks, John --

Right, much more in line with the evidence indeed!  That said, when I read passages like

"...it turns out the main stumbling block is not technological limits or economics itself, but the economic imperative to grow the economy, spurred by overconsumption and the political power of the super-affluent."

my temper flares a little.  These  folks act as if they discovered the growth imperative and over-consumption as cause.  Many of us have been arguing this for decades since at least 1972 with the publication of Limits to Growth.  It has been confirmed as the major message of our ecological footprint analyses since the 1990s.   Here's a 12-year old article from the Globe and Mail making the same point: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/rich-poor-who-leaves-the-biggest-eco-footprint/article25579800/ .

Oh well, any good teacher knows that constant urgent repetition is essential for rote learning.  Perhaps a few dozen more papers like this and the mainstream will start to take seriously what should by now be obvious.

Bill

Jul 2, 2020, 9:53:32 PM7/2/20
to wr...@mail.ubc.ca, robert...@gmail.com, SCORAI
Believe me, Bill, I know you and so many people, myself included, have been saying this since about 1972.  But it seems to me that when another new study confirms it, it's good to get it out there.  We do need repetition if we want people to hear this message.  So just take it as another confirmation of what you have pointed out so consistently.  Somehow, Shellenberger and others get to keep up the denial and nonsense so we have to keep saying it ain't so...

all best, and thanks for all your good work!
John

John de Graaf

www.johndegraaf.com

Jorge Pinto

Jul 3, 2020, 2:51:16 AM7/3/20
to John de Graaf, wr...@mail.ubc.ca, robert...@gmail.com, SCORAI
Here's a Twitter thread by Sam Bliss answering some of the book's claims:  https://twitter.com/ii_sambliss/status/1278796324301942784

JOHN DE GRAAF,* JOHN DE GRAAF

Jul 3, 2020, 3:50:45 PM7/3/20
to Jorge Pinto, samc...@gmail.com, wr...@mail.ubc.ca, robert...@gmail.com, SCORAI
Great responses to Shellenberger!  Sam, do you have these all in one document somewhere or on one link that can be shared to FB or somewhere other than Twitter, which I don't follow.  best, John

and PS, Sam, did you get the VT elector form I sent you.

John de Graaf

www.johndegraaf.com

Jean Boucher

Jul 4, 2020, 10:50:49 PM7/4/20
to SCORAI

--

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed

until it is faced. – James Baldwin

saleem

Jul 4, 2020, 11:28:36 PM7/4/20
to SCORAI

Colleagues

Colleagues

Much as we can lament and dismiss Shellenberger’s specious arguments (and there are many in the book), the points he makes about energy density issues with wind and solar come from revered energy scholars like Vaclav Smil and Jesse Ausubel.

Any thoughts on critiquing Smil and Ausubel ? forget about Shellenberger.

All best

Saleem

www.saleemali.net

Benjamin Sovacool

Jul 5, 2020, 3:58:14 AM7/5/20
to sal...@alum.mit.edu, SCORAI

Hello Saleem, all – as many of the more seasoned of us know, in the academy there is probably no such thing as a “revered” scholar any more, one can always find ways to critique or engage by looking at fundamental assumptions, ignored evidence, unconscious bias, etc. (deserved or not).

For Vaclav, my own experience has been he’s willing to engage constructively as long as you attack the arguments and not the person. We had a nice, civil debate in ERSS a few years ago where we argued in favour of fast transitions, he critiqued, we replied:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214629615300827

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2214629616302006

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2214629616301967

Although I hope we “won” the debate, and I still think Vaclav is too pessimistic when it comes to assumptions about transition speeds, it was an enjoyable process that benefitted from the Socratic like exchange.

So for him, focus on the substance, and not ad hominum attacks, and you may both be able to refute him and also benefit from his earnest engagement.

--

- Subscribe to SCORAI: http://eepurl.com/dHXawz
- Too many emails? Send an email to rob...@orzanna.de and change to a digest mode.
- Submit an item to next newsletter: lizb....@gmail.com
- Submit a new blog post: hbr...@clarku.edu

saleem

Jul 5, 2020, 3:17:21 PM7/5/20
to SCORAI

Greetings again

Thanks Benjamin for sharing those articles. I browsed through them but they are not really addressing the Smil narrative that Shellenberger is talking about in his book.

Your debate with Smil is about speed of energy transitions - that is a separate matter. Of course transitions can be sped up if there are resources invested and the political will to implement those investments effectively.

However, such speed is not an indication of either ecological or economic efficiency.

Smil's biophysical point around energy and power density stems from the following book https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/power-density

The argument here is that wind and solar have physical inefficiency limitations in terms of resource utilization to deliver output. This actually ties in more closely with the argument we made in our recent Science paper about the mineral needs of the green energy transition. Energy and Material return on investment to harness power density is the main issue.

This is what I am hoping you and other SCORAI friends can engage on.

Cheers
Saleem

vikis

Jul 5, 2020, 3:40:51 PM7/5/20
to scorai

Thanks, John, for posting the link to this article, Affluence is Killing the Planet, which in turn links to the research paper - which I really, really liked.

I think it went beyond calling out over-consumption (old news) by linking it to inequality (also old news), but also offering some really useful framing.  Among the many things to appreciate in this article:
  • The effective use of the terms affluence and super-affluence as signifiers for over-consumption
  • The recognition that multiple actors bear responsibility for over-consumption ("...shown that consumers have little control over environmentally-damaging impacts along supply chains, however they often do have control over making a consumption decision in the first place.")
  • Exposition of growth imperative and its political function for super-affluent
  • Analysis of commodification trends in relation to time scarcity and efficiency consumption
  • Nice codification of degrowth/sustainable posterity approaches
In short, I think it ties a lot of analyses across multiple perspectives together nicely.  I highly recommend it.

Rees, William

Jul 5, 2020, 8:12:58 PM7/5/20
to sal...@alum.mit.edu, SCORAI, b.sov...@sussex.ac.uk, Megan Seibert

Benjamin, Saleem, et al. --

Most discussion of "energy transitions" deal with historic shifts or assume that the next transition -- e.g., from fossil fuels to renewables (RE), particularly wind turbines and solar PV -- is only a matter of time.

However, given such limitations as:

  • the much reduced energy density of wind and solar;
  • the fact that many industrial processes require temperatures that cannot yet be generated easily with electricity;
  • the irritant (to RE advocates) that wind turbines and solar cells are mined and manufactured literally from the ground up using fossil fuels;
  • concerns about the availability of adequate economic supplies of rare earth minerals;
  • the significant pollution costs associated with mining and manufacturing associated with RE technology;
  • the fact that wind and solar are not renewable, merely replaceable (using fossil fuel?) after ~15 and 25 years respectively;
  • a rapid build out of wind and solar plants to at a rate sufficient meet the IPCC target of <1.5 Celsius degree of mean global warming would almost certainly blow the carbon emissions budget (catch-22);

is it not just possible that the next transition, at least to a future with quantitatively equivalent energy availability per capita, is simply not possible?

Consider that meeting the IPCC  maximum permissible warming target requires that the world reduce carbon emissions at the rate of 7.5% per year (this gets us to about half current emissions by 2030).  I estimate, conservatively, that to replace fossil fuels with wind and solar electricity at an adequate pace to meet this target while maintaining current energy supplies, we would have to treble the existing 30+ years cumulative stock of wind and solar installations in just the first year, i.e., in 2020 (ignoring for now the CO2 generated by this process).  And of course, we would have to repeat in 2021 for a further 7% reduction in remaining emissions, and the next and...

Clearly, is is not happening and, I submit, cannot happen.  Assuming the climate science is correct, without major emissions reductions by other means, humanity will trigger disastrous climate change.

Perhaps the next transition should be a carefully planned, equitable contraction of human enterprise in which people in industrial countries learn to live on much-reduced (truly renewable) energy supplies and material consumption.  Does anyone else believe that this scenario merits  serious consideration?

Just askin'

Bill Rees

Jul 5, 2020, 11:52:38 PM7/5/20
to wr...@mail.ubc.ca, sal...@alum.mit.edu, SCORAI, b.sov...@sussex.ac.uk, Megan Seibert
Even if I am slightly more optimistic regarding alternative energy than you are Bill I totally agree with you that a sustainable future demands a massive reduction of consumption in rich countries.  thanks for your work.

John

John de Graaf

www.johndegraaf.com

Jean Boucher

Jul 6, 2020, 2:20:53 AM7/6/20
to John de Graaf, Rees, William, sal...@alum.mit.edu, SCORAI, b.sov...@sussex.ac.uk, Megan Seibert
Is there anything new for us to say anymore?

I think most of us are part of SCORAI because, as Bill offers, we believe that turning down the production-consumption faucet is critical to a sustainable human-environmental future. I also appreciate Benjamin for re-focusing us on arguments, not people (though I find it challenging when I interpret a succession of flawed arguments), and thanks, Saleem, for focusing our attention on energy density. Regarding Shellenberger (I've ordered but not read his book), when he keeps calling us religious and we keep calling him religious, something has to give, no?

I think we need to fall in love with inefficiency. Years ago, when I was more religious, I thought the world's problems could be summed up as spiritual: lacking trust, faith, an inordinate attachment to things, the rat race, neuroticisms. Taking time to stop, meditate, or sleep, or nap, is probably one of the most inefficient things we could do: zero work and some degree of energy use, but also, small environmental impact.

What scares me about energy density is its raw capacity to do work, to produce. It's like we've attained the power of gods. I don't have to talk about Jevons, we know it, and Richard York and colleagues have done some great work in this area. The more energy density, the faster we consume, produce, process and transform our environment. Point being, energy density is awesome, but not in the hands of--I guess--children.

We've heard of sufficiency, the slow movement, degrowth, all sorts of simplicities, frugalities and minimalisms, but they generally don't market. To get somewhat Marxist, the cherished values of the modern age (as defined and guarded by our rulers--cultural or otherwise) are time and money, and it seems that we will cram and process as much power, energy, resources, and money in the shortest amount of time as possible, and the Earth groans.

My specific research is at the micro level on how income determines our lifestyles, how we consume, how much we consume, our environmental impacts and emissions, etc. Here, I see how the means justify the ends: money, generally, becomes the power to pollute, and this is what really scares me about energy density, not it's physical beauty, but it's awesomeness in the hands of babes. Who was it that said, "Once we replace GDP with a better measure of human well-being, we can keep it as a measure of environmental impact."

I'm generally a negative person, it was also part of my training, to see problems, and though I am trying to change, I also think of myself as a realist. We know that globally many people are in relative need, while we've also had successes at decreasing poverty, but how exactly do we moderate general human activity, back to Bill's planned recession?

Jean

Benjamin Sovacool

Jul 6, 2020, 3:57:08 AM7/6/20
to sal...@alum.mit.edu, SCORAI

Hi Saleem, understood, I was more talking about how to engage him rather than using the topical arguments in our exchange as help on this particular point.

There, power density, as you know, is probably an important but one of only many factors that should determine the desirability of an energy resource. A very dense energy fuel can still be carbon intensive (bad for the climate) and difficult to extract (bad for society).

Three things that I have seen that could help you here are: EROI and ELCC and LCOE.  All are measures that support renewables.

EROI is energy return on investment or energy payback ratio.  These are almost always very high for renewables, especially hydro and sometimes wind, and low for oil and gas:

https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/2/3/490

https://mahb.stanford.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/EROI-of-Global-Energy-Resources_SUNYNGEI1.pdf

ELCC is effective load carrying capacity. Very high for solar because it’s generating electricity just when you need it, not so good for natural gas or nuclear:

https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy15osti/63038.pdf

LCOE, as most of us know, is the levelized cost of energy.  Again bad for nuclear. Most people use Lazard’s:

https://www.lazard.com/perspective/lcoe2019

Maybe this is more topically helpful?

I should note we have two studies under review that also are critical of nuclear, one on carbon emissions (a big-N statistical analysis) and one on externalities. But I can’t share those yet.

I think your statement on a sustainable future is quite likely the best option for human societies to continue to prosper on our planet

Perhaps the next transition should be a carefully planned, equitable contraction of human enterprise in which people in industrial countries learn to live on much-reduced (truly renewable) energy supplies and material consumption.  Does anyone else believe that this scenario merits  serious consideration?

We are capable of this and coming out the other end a more content and responsible species.
COVID has been enlightening as it is an experiment in equitable contraction - much to be learned.

Noel Keough

On Jul 5, 2020, at 6:12 PM, Rees, William <wr...@mail.ubc.ca> wrote:

[△EXTERNAL]

Joe Zammit-Lucia

Jul 6, 2020, 8:59:10 AM7/6/20
to nke...@ucalgary.ca, William Rees, sal...@alum.mit.edu, SCORAI, b.sov...@sussex.ac.uk, Megan Seibert
Dear Noel

Unfortunately the Covid contraction has been anything but equitable. And hardly welcomed by the vast majority of the population.

We need a different model.

Best

Joe

Dr Joe Zammit-Lucia

+31 646 86 21 76

radix.org.uk                                   amazon.co.uk    amazon.com

Richard Rosen

Jul 6, 2020, 10:11:43 AM7/6/20
to Rees, William, sal...@alum.mit.edu, SCORAI, b.sov...@sussex.ac.uk, Megan Seibert
Dear Bill and colleagues,

Now that the average global temperature increase is actually about 1.2 degrees C as of this year, I agree that it is probably physically impossible to achieve a 100% renewable energy system world-wide sufficiently fast to keep the total temperature increase under 1.5 degrees C, given all the problems that Bill cites, and others.  This is true, in my view, whether or not we decrease total consumption per year in rich countries during the next ten years, since manufacturing all the equipment and technologies to get as close to a 100% renewable energy system will tend to increase consumption substantially.  Other goods and services that use energy would have to be strictly rationed at lower levels of consumption than currently occurs.  However, what other choice do we have but to try out best and try to keep the global temperature increase as low as possible, even if in reality the best we could do is a limit of 2.0 or 2.2 degrees C?  Note - no one has a model that is detailed enough so that it could self-consistently compute the scenario that Bill proposes, or that I am proposing above, so we can only guesstimate what the best we could do is.  (A detail, Bill, could not either hydrogen or synthetic bio-fuels made with renewable electricity be used in those industrial processes that are difficult to convert to the use of renewable electricity directly?  If not, why not?)

----  Rich Rosen

Noel Gerard Keough

Jul 6, 2020, 10:44:11 AM7/6/20
to jo...@me.com, William Rees, sal...@alum.mit.edu, SCORAI, b.sov...@sussex.ac.uk, Megan Seibert
I agree Joe,

but there are many aspects of the response to COVID we could learn from - one is the general inclination (here in Canada I think it was the case)  to care about equity (perhaps BLM was possible because of that heightened sentiment) even if in execution there is lots to improve. And the challenge to conventional economics which has been turned on its head - of course governments have economic power and can use it if they choose to. And I do think this is a moment where the results of COVID do heighten our awareness of the inequity of inequality.

Noel

On Jul 6, 2020, at 6:59 AM, 'Joe Zammit-Lucia' via SCORAI <sco...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

[△EXTERNAL]

Dear Noel

Unfortunately the Covid contraction has been anything but equitable. And hardly welcomed by the vast majority of the population.

We need a different model.

Best

Joe

Dr Joe Zammit-Lucia

+31 646 86 21 76

radix.org.uk                                   amazon.co.uk    amazon.com

<Mail Attachment.jpeg>       <Mail Attachment.jpeg>

Ruben Nelson

Jul 6, 2020, 10:47:01 AM7/6/20
to wr...@mail.ubc.ca, sal...@alum.mit.edu, SCORAI, b.sov...@sussex.ac.uk, Megan Seibert

I take the considerations and case Bill has set out very seriously.

The (inappropriate) stories so many in the sustainability field tell themselves about the situation we are in and how we might cope with it are, as Bill points out, not grounded in serious integral complex systems thinking.  Yes, folks have some capacity to “think systems”.  Mostly, this is “seeing and thinking sub-systems or sub-systems of sub-systems.”  Worse, many (most?) stick with calculations of the hard technologies, with no considerations of the interplay between these hard technologies and the complex living wicked systems that we as persons/societies/cultures are.

For me the root source of our inability to understand, see clearly the situation we are in and come to terms with what it implies about our future is the fact that, for wholly understandable reasons, most of the folks doing the work  accept as given the root presumptions of our Modern Techno-industrial (MTI) cultures and form of civilization, namely that we can use the MTI modes of knowing, imagining, thinking things through and acting to that have led us into trouble, to get us out of trouble.

At the scale of our whole MTI form of civilization, in effect, we are assuming that Einstein’s famous quip that “we cannot solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them” does not apply to us who are MTI peoples and cultures.  To the contrary, the basic bet we are making is that MTI science and technology will be the very things that “save” us.  At least this much is the case, as yet: (1) We are focussed on technological sub-systems as if they are independent of both the rest of the Earth and its peoples.  (2) We are giving little sustained thought to the insights that we are in a “double overshoot” – both ecological and civilizational.  (3) Civilization overshoot is the root source of ecological overshoot.  Therefore, we cannot deal with the latter without dealing with the former.  (4) We face an unrecognized need;  To transcend out MTI aspirations, identities and cultures because no version of MTI ways of knowing, imagining, thinking things through and acting can even understand the depths of the trouble we are in, much less cope with it.

Ruben

Ruben Nelson

Executive Director

Foresight Canada

www.foresightcanada.com

FC Logo FINAL colour 123 KB colour

[...]

image003.jpg

Ashwani Vasishth

Jul 6, 2020, 10:48:19 AM7/6/20
to sco...@googlegroups.com

To be bluntly clear...I agree completely with Bill's (AND Wiedmann et al's) arguments about affluence "killing the planet" (both attached for reference).  I agree completely that we will not come out of this one without radically rethinking consumption and production--the root purpose of this listserv.

However, I have thought about this a lot, and am certain Bill is not correct in his analysis of renewable energy scenarios.

This is NOT to say, "renewables will save the day..."  Not at all.  All technologies are mere pawns, in the board we play here.  This is all about choice-making, and we certainly have hard choices to make here.

I thought I had answers to many of Bill's concerns, stated below.  But I have learned--over the decades--to have a healthy respect for Bill's thinking...I use his work extensively to inform my own thinking..

So, I went looking for support.  And chose to reach out to Mark Z. Jacobson...who has written extensively on transitioning 100% to Wind, Water and Sun.

I shared Bill's concerns with him, and here are his responses, as collated by me:

These papers show that it is possible to transition the world to 100% wind, water, and solar for all energy purposes with much more energy to spare and without taking up much land (0.68% of world land for footprint and spacing for new energy), and manufacturing all devices with WWS itself by 2050., while reducing aggregate energy costs 60%, aggregate social costs 90%, and creating 28 million more long-term, full-time jobs than lost worldwide.

https://web.stanford.edu/group/efmh/jacobson/Articles/I/WWS-50-USState-plans.html

Best regards,
Mark

     Ashwani
     Vasishth    ashwani....@gmail.com    (323) 206-1858 --------------------------------------------------------
The papers cover those issues. I'll answer below.

Mark

On 7/5/20 9:04 PM, Ashwani Vasishth wrote:

Thank you, Mark.  Yes, I am quite familiar with your work.  But even so...

"However, given such limitations as:

  1. the much reduced energy density of wind and solar;

As stated, the world can be powered with 100% WWS using hardly any land.

See the second figure at

https://web.stanford.edu/group/efmh/jacobson/Articles/I/TimelineDetailed.pdf

  1. the fact that many industrial processes require temperatures that cannot yet be generated easily with electricity;
All high temperature industrial technologies running on electricity exist: electric arc furnaces, induction furnaces, resistance furnaces; dielectric heaters; etc.

  1. concerns about the availability of adequate economic supplies of rare earth minerals;

These are not limits, as discussed in, for example,

http://web.stanford.edu/group/efmh/jacobson/Articles/I/JDEnPolicyPt1.pdf

  1. the significant pollution costs associated with mining and manufacturing associated with RE technology;
Such pollution is eliminated, since with 100% WWS, all manufacturing is carried out with WWS technologies

  1. the fact that wind and solar are not renewable, merely replaceable (using fossil fuel?) after ~15 and 25 years respectively;
Lifetimes of wind turbines and solar panels are 25-30 years, and they are reproduced or retrofitted using WWS electricity.

  1. a rapid build out of wind and solar plants to at a rate sufficient meet the IPCC target of <1.5 Celsius degree of mean global warming would almost certainly blow the carbon emissions budget (catch-22);
Rees-Why_Renewable_Energy_Cannot_Work.docx
Wiedmann+Affluence is killing the planet.docx

saleem

Jul 6, 2020, 11:57:14 AM7/6/20
to SCORAI
Many thanks Bill, Benjamin, John and others for insightful comments and links.

Energy density in my view is the most consequential and fundamental metric (as it is a physical / chemical property metric) while EROI, and LCOE are derivative metrics linked to specific technologies or economic decisions as well as discounting factors in our accounting mechanisms.

ELCC is an interesting one which has some fundamental physical attributes but can be addressed by better valving technologies and storage.

Nuclear remains polarizing and those accounting metrics are manipulated in various ways by either side of the spectrum to suit their ends but the fundamental energy density metric is on its side.

The next generation of nuclear fission reactors are definitely different than current ones and deserve to be given a chance and not dismissed through scare-mongering by well-intentioned but misinformed activists. And then there is the $50 billion ITER project on fusion which will start in 2025 and has much potential but commercialization is 30 to 40 years out for fruition but worth the investment in my view.

I am looking forward to seeing Sovacool et al's forthcoming carbon critique of nuclear but in my view the cost and material footprint for carbon emissions used for things like concrete usage in nuclear are all highly malleable in terms of what assumptions you make on input calculations (where the material comes from and the assumed life-span of plants etc.). I just reviewed a book by ardent environmental activist and also stellar young academic Leah Stokes on U.S. energy policy for Science (review will be out in a few weeks) and she acknowledges there is no doubt whatsoever that the retirement of existing nuclear plants (largely due to refurbishment costs which would actually be more materially efficient compared to building other energy source plants) is going to make reaching our emissions targets very difficult. If we were really looking at this from an industrial ecology perspective, refurbishment and upgrading of existing nuclear plants is most ecologically efficient and might even warrant subsidies. Nuclear is a larger conversation which I will wait to have when the new studies come out.

On Bill and John's points, aggregate per capita consumption decline is of course a worthy goal but difficult to achieve where certain measures of individual choice are considered a human right. Nobel laureate Amartya Sen noted this in his lesser known paper "The Impossibility of a Paretian Liberal" a few decades back. We have to settle for sub-optimality - I tried to highlight this in my 2010 book that linked conversation of sustainability to primary raw materials ( https://yalebooks.yale.edu/book/9780300167825/treasures-earth ).

And yes, we need to talk about population as well. Coming from Pakistan which still has a very high population growth rate, I am very concerned that the environmental movement has been bullied by guilt trips and race baiting from the developing world into not talking enough about this issue. As a brown person I guess I can do that more comfortably. We absolutely have to keep track of the population variable in the IPAT equation in developing countries and cannot assume a self-correction mechanism nor can we assume that migration will be freely allowed to balance supply and demand of labor between countries with high and low population growth rates. Population is a localized and nationalized phenomenon in our current world and will be a key determinant of not only environmental impact but of quality of life.

Finally, a few of you had asked for links to the other papers I had referenced, in earlier messages related to minerals needed for green tech infrastructure:

Here are the links

All the best
Saleem

Tom Abeles

Jul 6, 2020, 12:15:43 PM7/6/20
to ashwani....@gmail.com, SCORAI Group
The Stanford work needs careful consideration as does claims of Shellenberger and the recent post by Joe on this list.

Engineering solutions are part of a complex socio/cultural/environmental issue. Joe's point about who gets the benefits/costs between the rich/poor in developed and developing countries needs careful addressment.

Engineering solutions around WWS and environmental placement (land/water) are not "green field". This is a complex/dynamic issue  not just from a technical perspective, but also from a geo/political and social/cultural consideration. Models are problematic. One can not cite engineering studies and claim: Quod Erat Dmonstrandum. For example, right now, in the US, there are issues of "reparation" by disenfranchised including Indian and minority communities as only one issue.It's more than hectares of property. Right now, fossil fuel industries and other corporate interests are seeing significant opportunities with the GND with the potential to increase the fiscal disparity, a major issue that will exacerbate the issue- but one more example. Globally, the problem becomes more complex.

I am not aware of the socio-political path from here to there. Defaulting to scientists is more than problematic. We are not on the starship Enterprise where Captain Picard can mandate "Make it so, Mr Sulu".

Rees, William

Jul 6, 2020, 12:25:24 PM7/6/20
to sco...@googlegroups.com, ashwani....@gmail.com, Megan Seibert

Ashwani et al. -

This is turning out to be an interesting and informative discussion so, in that spirit, let me add a few more facts and speculations to ponder.

First, Ashwani, thank you for contacting Mark Jacobson and allowing him to respond directly.  As it turns out, I am familiar with his group's (controversial) work as well as published countervail.  Best known is the paper by Clack et al., which claims Jacobson et al. is error-prone.  See https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1610381114 and decide for yourself whom to believe.  (BTW. Jacobson doesn't directly address several of my bulleted points.)

You might also read this more recent  (discouraging) 'extended' assessment of the energy returned on energy invested (ERoEI) of various RE technologies:  https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/13/12/3036/htm

If Clack et al. and the ERoEI paper do not provide enough reason to be cautious about a rapid transition to 100% renewables à la Jacobson et al. then consider the following.  (Apologies if I have shared this analysis with some of you before).

A new report from the Goldman School of public Policy, UC Berkeley (2035 The Report) in the spirit of Jacobson, describes how the US can virtually liberate its electricity sector from fossil fuels by 2035. This report “…uses the latest renewable energy and battery cost data to demonstrate the technical and economic feasibility of achieving 90% clean (carbon-free) electricity in the United States by 2035.” See:

 https://www.2035report.com/?utm_medium=email&_hsmi=2&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_Fv1XU39cJTj0cTJxa4uVRUm_ma6AJoKL2btL3DayzZMcW4o935OB7agNq_O7NsYvYbgT6josa5CqpvJn7unoh5w_MFg&utm_content=2&utm_source=hs_email)

The goal according to this study:

“To achieve the 90% Clean case by 2035, 1,100 GW of new wind and solar generation must be built, averaging about 70 GW [70,000 MW] per year.”

Just for the hell of it, and out of concern for the problems associated with 'scaling up', I decided to look at what this would look like for wind power generation in terms of just the required number of turbines:

If we assume wind provides half the increase (35,000 MW) as implied in the report, this means adding the equivalent of 11,667 typical 3-MW bird-and bat-destroying wind turbines to the US landscape annually.

But wait—that number assumes the turbines run constantly at their maximum rated capacity.  More likely we can expect that they perform, on average, at 25% of rated capacity across the country (‘coz the wind don’t blow all the time at optimal speed).

So, now we are up to the equivalent of 46,667 bird- and bat-destroying wind turbines every year (128 per day) for 15 years.   (All this assumes that solar catches up to wind generation, a big stretch:  in 2019, wind provided 300 million MWh and solar only 72 million MWh to the US grid.)

Now let’s put this in global context:

In 2019, a year of rapid growth (11%) in wind power, the world added 159.4 TWhr (159,400,000 MWhr) of wind generation capacity (data from BP Statistical Review of World Energy 2020).  With a 25% capacity factor, our 3-MW turbine would produce: 3 MW × 365 days × 24 hours × 25% = 6570 MWh.  Thus, the world installed the equivalent of 24,262 three MW turbines in 2019 or ~66 per day.

Bottom line?  The US would have to increase its wind turbine capacity at almost twice the global installation rate (46,667 vs 24,262) to achieve the 70 GW annual wind+solar target (again, assuming that solar does the other half the heavy lifting).

The material implications are substantial.  Consider just the tower:  the tower for a 3MW wind turbine can weigh up to 628,000 pounds (285 tonnes), mostly steel.  thus, if the US installs 46,667 turbines annually this would require up to 29,306,876,000 pounds (13,293,375 tonnes) of steel for the towers alone.

The US produced 88,000,000 tonnes of steel in 2019, so building towers for the wind turbines would require the equivalent of 15% of US steel production.  Add in the rest of the steel requirements for the generator and other nacelle components, the re-bar in the base, etc., and I think you'd come to maybe 25%.

Obviously not all the steel need come from the US, but consider that there will  be competition from all over the world (which should be trying to scale-up similarly) for the same steel and rare earth elements needed for all that wind and solar electricity.  And remember, there are non-energy competing uses for steel.

Does anyone seriously think this degree of scaling-up in the electricity sector can/will happen in the US or world  (particularly keeping in mind that the proposal assumes an equal simultaneous build-out of solar photo-voltaics)?

And none of this accounts for the other 65% of global final energy consumption in hard-to-electrify applications that still require fossil fuel.

Ashwani, you assert that you are "certain [I] am not correct in [my] analysis of renewable energy scenarios."  Fair enough--I do make errors and it would be nice, actually, if the above assessment and my estimate of  the required global rate of wind and solar build-out were incorrect in the 'right' direction.

It is important not to let the real-world data be overridden by one's hopes, wishes and beliefs.  On the other hand, one should not be deluded by poor data or analysis.

I'd be pleased to have anyone point out if and where I have erred in the above.

Bill

Jul 6, 2020, 12:31:14 PM7/6/20
to Tom Abeles, SCORAI Group

Thanks, Tom.  My point was not that we can leave it to the engineers, modelers or scientists.  Of course, it is a complex space.

My point was simply to object to Bill's assertion that (or so it seemed to me) there is no way to get to "there" from "here."  We CAN get there, from here, and renewables are not a lost cause.

I am a social scientist, so to speak.  And I am not devoid of systems thinking skill.  I will maintain that it is necessary to both raise alarm, and show the pitfalls, but also to shine a light, and hold out hope.

Of course, we cannot talk carrying capacity without talking about PAT.  All three are loaded with complexities, and there is no simple path forward.  But, my point is simply this...we need to pay attention to al three, and to their interplay, before we can say we are honestly making efforts to mitigate our impact upon the ecosphere.

--
     Ashwani
        Vasishth         vasi...@ramapo.edu          (201) 684-6616 (Jabber-enabled)

                       Ramapo College of New Jersey
              505 Ramapo Valley Road, SSHS, Mahwah, NJ 07430

Ruben Nelson

Jul 6, 2020, 12:46:03 PM7/6/20
to nke...@ucalgary.ca, Rees, William, sal...@alum.mit.edu, SCORAI, b.sov...@sussex.ac.uk, Megan Seibert

I agree with Noel that the notion of an “equitable contraction” should be given greater prominence.  It is not yet an idea in good currency.  No political party, as yet, says, “Elect us because we understand the need for and nature of an equitable contraction better than the other folks.”  Not surprising since the market for this notion is very small.

And, we must be open to the reality that “decline”, “contraction”, “degrowth”, “disintegration” are already baked into the future of MTI cultures and, for many folks, has already started.  We are not talking about something that should occur, but is not yet occurring.  We are on this path, although we have not yet recognized and owned up to it.  We are missing are the “intentional and equitable” parts.

And, in addition, we need to get serious about the fact that the “equitable decline” must also be a “transition that moves us beyond our Modern Techno-industrial aspirations, identities and cultures.”  It is not a strategy to “save” Modernity, but to transcend it.  If this element is not present in a serious way, all we are doing is managing a descent into chaos and death.

Ruben

Ruben Nelson

Executive Director

Foresight Canada

www.foresightcanada.com

FC Logo FINAL colour 123 KB colour

image003.jpg

Noel Gerard Keough

Jul 6, 2020, 12:54:43 PM7/6/20
to Ruben Nelson, Rees, William, sal...@alum.mit.edu, SCORAI, b.sov...@sussex.ac.uk, Megan Seibert
Agreed, yes said

Noel

On Jul 6, 2020, at 10:45 AM, Ruben Nelson <ruben...@shaw.ca> wrote:

[△EXTERNAL]

[...]

<image003.jpg>

Ashwani Vasishth

Jul 6, 2020, 12:56:48 PM7/6/20
to sco...@googlegroups.com

As always, Bill, you are on point, and cogent.  As I said in my original message--actually, two things--business as usual will NOT get us there.  We cannot continue on the path we are currently on, AND get to a livable world.  Draconian adjustments to consumption and production are absolutely and categorically needed.

Second, I am NOT asserting (and, honestly, I doubt Jacobson et al. are either) that renewables will singlehandedly pull us out of this morass in which we are mired.  But, without cutting fossil fuels drastically, and hence without renewables, we certainly don't get off the batter's mound.  Forget about first base.

Yes, we don't want to be blinded by the light, nor carried astray by hope.  But both light and hope are necessary if we are to continue.  My point is simply this--We CAN pull ourselves out of the morass.  It will take ALL of us--teachers, thinkers, analysts, modelers, engineers, all of us--pulling together, to get us on a path to proper action.

Cheers,

--
     Ashwani
        Vasishth         vasi...@ramapo.edu          (201) 684-6616 (Jabber-enabled)
                   http://phobos.ramapo.edu/~vasishth
                  Associate Professor of Sustainability
                  Convener, Sustainability Program (BA)
President, New Jersey Higher Education Partnership for Sustainability (NJHEPS)
                    Director, Center for Sustainability
                     http://ramapo.edu/sustainability

                       Ramapo College of New Jersey
              505 Ramapo Valley Road, SSHS, Mahwah, NJ 07430

Gough,I

Jul 6, 2020, 1:54:32 PM7/6/20
to Rees, William, rrose...@gmail.com, sal...@alum.mit.edu, SCORAI, b.sov...@sussex.ac.uk, Megan Seibert
Dear all,
Kevin Anderson addresses several of these issues in his latest pessimistic paper:
We must begin a deep and profound transformation towards a progressive, sustainable and zero-carbon future. As 1.5°C drifts into history and the prospect of 2°C rapidly fades, it is essential to understand that these temperatures are not simple thresholds. We have a little time to reflect with ...
Ian Gough

Jul 6, 2020, 3:23:50 PM7/6/20
to Tom Abeles, vasi...@ramapo.edu, SCORAI Group

Ashwani -

You object to my assertion (or so it seemed to youthat "there is no way to get to 'there' from 'here.''"

To be clear, I cannot predict the future ('there') any better than you can.  In fact, I'm not sure where the 'there' is to which we want to go.  (Ask Ruben Nelson about that.)

On the other hand, I do know about 'here' and what others like Jacobson and the Goldman-Berkeley study think 'there' looks like.  My numbers/analyses suggest strongly that, in fact, we cannot get to Jacobson's/Berkeley's 'there' from 'here' on anything like the required schedule.  Consider this: If we reassembled a year from now, will the US have added 46,667 windmills to the electric grid plus an equivalent quantity from solar PV?   I am pretty sure the answer is 'no' and would still be 'no' if this were a normal, non-pandemic, year.

Your stated (social science) position is " We CAN get there, from here, and renewables are not a lost cause"*  and that we must "shine a light, and hold out hope".

Now, as a 'hard scientist', I see these as mere assertions--wishful thinking--or, as you put it, expressions of "hope".  They do not constitute a valid argument. You may, of course, be correct about getting 'there'.  (By the way, what does your 'there' look like?) As I said, neither of us can predict the future.  However, there are no data or other substantial evidence to support your assertions.

This is not a trivial issue.  There is good reason to fear that when people are told repeatedly that "wind and solar are now so cheap that they will displace fossil fuels from all applications by 2050 or even 2035", they tend to relax -- this kind of 'upbeat' assertion tells them that the climate problem is solved and the energy future is bright.

This isn't hope, it is hopeful delusion and hopeful delusion has an enervating effect on both individual action and public policy.  The enormous effort going into The Green New Deal and similar RE based scenarios (instead of realistic planning and capacity-building  for an energy poor less  consumptive future) is evidence enough.

In short, delusional hope distracts people from the task  of rethinking the fundamental  beliefs, values and assumptions of modernist society and helping to script a new narrative by which humanity can live more equitably, with enhanced economic security in an ecologically productive/stable world.  (By the way, scripting that new narrative is anything but a engineering and scientific enterprise though both will play an important role.)

Such a world might actually be possible -- so now I am being hopeful and vague.  But what is  clear is that we will not get to this kind of 'there' as long as society is bent on maintaining the business-as-usual status quo by alternative (RE) means.

Cheers,

Bill

* By the way, I have never said renewable are a lost cause--even wind and solar have important niche applications -- and, in a few decades, renewables are all we will have.  The question is: what kind of society will the available RE be able to support?

Jul 6, 2020, 4:16:09 PM7/6/20
to wr...@mail.ubc.ca, Tom Abeles, vasi...@ramapo.edu, SCORAI Group
I think my question is relevant to this thread. Have any of you reviewed, or do you know of reviews of, the EN-ROADS interactive tool, developed by Climate Interactive and MIT?

The modeling tool enables users to select from a wide array of policies, including carbon pricing, less growth, investment in renewables, nuclear, afforestation, reduced meat consumption, BECCS, etc... The model appears to show that it is technically possible to keep global temperature from rising above 1.5C by 2100 (some iterations rely on carbon removal). Reduced growth does not yield very much reduced GHG pollution, but the available settings are limited.

I think it is a useful tool to get students, and community groups, thinking about the multidimensionality of the problem, and how much work would have to be done on many fronts to bring emissions down in the limited time available. It's a good cautionary tool to warn against silver bullets.
Because you can alter many of the assumptions, it does, on the other hand, lend itself to wishful thinking. But a skilled user should be able to highlight that.

What I'm looking for is someone with the expertise to evaluate the assumptions the model builders have used.  And also how this tool could be complemented by the focus on consumption that this group is well versed in.

Thanks,

Mike

Michael W. Howard
Department of Philosophy
The Maples
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469 USA

Ashley Colby

Jul 6, 2020, 4:37:01 PM7/6/20
to SCORAI Group
One small insight I have to add is that I think it might be fruitful for all of us to be distrustful of such models (like the one mentioned by Michael Howard at MIT and others mentioned in this thread). Many of these models work on some assumptions that are incredibly shaky and/or build into the system certain 'obvious' conclusions that are in no way obvious nor conclusively proven. These kinds of models can often blind us to possibility if we buy into some of these assumptions (a lot of which have a very ecological modernist bent).

Not to harp on the point (but as an illustration), but if we all take as an assumption that 'reduced meat consumption' is categorically good for the environment that makes us literally unable to see the potential of regenerative agriculture to sequester carbon (in which case the scenario might very well be more meat consumption is actually better for the environment in some cases -- like in places with very little arable land). There is simply not enough science completed to understand the very complex systems of soil (there are thousands of types), different types of regenerative animal agriculture (silvopasture, rotational grazing, permaculture, etc. etc.) compared to plant agriculture (organic, monoculture, polyculture, soil amendments), specific geography and climate (and how it is changing), water systems (and how they are changing), cultural systems that allow for adaptation, access to technology/information, not to mention systems of processing and distribution that come with different combinations of the above. This assumption is based on a single report (Livestock's Long Shadow, much of which has been retracted), and it compares a specific brand of industrial animal ag to a specific brand of industrial plant ag.

I am very skeptical of such models as they quite literally limit our imaginations about potential futures based on the 'accepted science,' which is in no way as simply or conclusive as it claims to be.

Not a very helpful point, but something that bothers me about these discussions about solutions. We need to question on what assumptions/data we are building our arguments.

Ashley Colby Fitzgerald

ash...@rizomafieldschool.com

PhD, Environmental Sociology

Co-founder Rizoma Field School

Colonia, Uruguay

Thomas Love

Jul 6, 2020, 4:59:45 PM7/6/20
to SCORAI Group, ash...@rizomafieldschool.com

With his compelling analysis of the severe difficulties facing an energy transition based on renewables, Bill points toward the need for academics in networks like SCORAI to more radically examine the nature of blockages to change.

I’ve been trying to sort this out conceptually, though not yet empirically. I find myself standing on much smarter people’s shoulders. I keep coming back to the way culture (our shared, learned mental frameworks) is so profoundly sub- or unconscious. The taken-for-grantedness of the mental models within which we think and move and have our being…in which we make sense of the world, makes it hard for humans (even for academics trained to be conscious of these things) to consciously think about such aspects as the meaning of symbols (arbitrary as they may be), the nature of the undergirding beliefs (assumptions), or the classifications of reality (the categories within which we think) that inform people’s behavior. In this sense, I think it’s safe to assume (and the evidence would seem to confirm) that addressing climate change and energy transition in any systematic way that might lead to meaningful changes in people's consumption patterns is literally un-thinkable for most people. Or perhaps better put, it's thinkable only/primarily through the cultural frameworks people have.

This fact has huge political implications, and raises big doubts for me about the very possibility of coherently planning for energy transition or slowing GHG emissions – an apparently widespread assumption among most posters in these parts (and some of whose jobs seem to depend on this assumption).

I think it would be very helpful to more deeply examine perennial structure/agency debates in the social sciences to get a better grasp on how complex systems change and on the place of/limits to human agency. (I think of Gregory Bateson and Joseph Tainter, for example.) To the extent that generalizable trends can be discerned, we variously situated academics might more clearly envision/describe areas of change and find likely unanticipated spaces within which people and policy makers might take steps to nudge these systems in more sustainable directions. John’s bread and roses campaign takes some bold steps in this direction.

I certainly second Ashley's wise call (posted just as I finished writing the above) to doublecheck the assumptions of models with which we work.

Tom

Jul 6, 2020, 5:39:49 PM7/6/20
to Tom Abeles, SCORAI Group
Maybe on a more helpful note, to follow up on Thomas' point:

"addressing climate change and energy transition in any systematic way that might lead to meaningful changes in people's consumption patterns is literally un-thinkable for most people"

I go back to my recommendation that people live or experience different types of livelihoods to be able to think in ways literally not possible before. I don't think this has to be actively manufactured through some thought experiment. I think it is inevitable. I subscribe to Morris Berman's Dual Process Theory that claims capitalism runs from about 1500 to 2100. As the system continues to collapse (as is in process), people literally experience things they've never experienced before, and thus are open to entirely new ways of being. Think of the crisis of COVID and how that gives most Americans a sense of crisis that Venezualeans have been living through (in a much worse way) for years.

This is not a happy theory, nor a happy time to live. The way this plays out is painful and ugly. However, with the collapse of the system inevitably comes something new. In some places already (especially those already worst impacted by the failures of capitalism like in and around Barcelona), the groundwork is laid for a new system to take over. In other places not yet fully converted to modern industrial capitalism (or only a generation away, people still remember the old ways), people haven't yet ramped up into high-speed consumer capitalism and therefore know a little bit about how to return to what once was. I say the work is in the nitty gritty, day to day experimentation of building up this alternative infrastructure, so that when crisis comes to your doorstep you can not only provide for yourself/community, but your system can provide a replicable/adaptable model. We need experts in new ways of building, agriculture, energy, water systems, economy, politics, ownership, you name it. There are already lots of good models out there currently in trial and error phase.

In other words, I don't think there's much point to the hand wringing, and the thought experiments and relying on (flawed) global models. The collapse is already unfolding. Let's build the next world now.

Ashley

(on a personal note, as an example, I came across this excellent speaker/author Mark Shepard who wrote a book Restoration Agriculture  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb_t-sVVzF0  And, inspired by his recommendations I plan to plant at least 100 fruit/nut trees and other perennial food/fiber plants within the next couple of weeks. I have no idea what I'm doing but I will find out by doing it!)

Ashley Colby Fitzgerald

ash...@rizomafieldschool.com

PhD, Environmental Sociology

Co-founder Rizoma Field School

Colonia, Uruguay

Tom Abeles

Jul 6, 2020, 5:42:28 PM7/6/20
to tl...@linfield.edu, SCORAI Group, ash...@rizomafieldschool.com
I am reminded of a line from Bruce Sterling's Green Days in Brunei:
The technical elite were errand boys. They didn't decide how to study, what to work on, where they could be most useful and to what end. Money decided that Technicians were owned by the abstract ones and zeros in bankers' microchips....Knowledge wasn't power, not for engineers.

When people want to buy and can't afford it, they are told to "finance it". In other words, cars, houses, electronics, etc are owned by Wall Street. The world changed when "financialization" of personal items as well as what the governments need from mobile equipment to city hall, roads and bridges became possible, and when the stock market became a Ponzi scheme where dividend payments became irrelevant to market play on the hopes of buying a stock on a Unicorn.

This is a complex, dynamic system that does not yield, easily.

Tom Abeles

Jul 6, 2020, 5:58:31 PM7/6/20
to Ashley Colby, SCORAI Group
Hi Ashley
You said, above:

In other words, I don't think there's much point to the hand wringing, and the thought experiments and relying on (flawed) global models.

Right, or wrong, what makes Shellenberg's book interesting and worth considering is that it is based on his lived experience in both the developed and developing world. And the literature, from practitioners, from finance and VC's, from government to NGO's in the US and internationally, offers  different perspectives from those whose world has been within the Ivory Tower.

Tom Abeles

Jul 6, 2020, 6:07:27 PM7/6/20
to rubennelson, Noel Gerard Keough, Rees, William, sal...@alum.mit.edu, SCORAI, Benjamin Sovacool, Megan Seibert
Hi Ruben

"Equitable Contraction"?
How does one explain, much less implement, this in a world where the  growing disparity, particularly in the US, is growing. Or how does one explain this to those in the developing countries which are striving for some form of parity. In the US we have seen such communities split by the Interstate system, lack of access to basic income, adequate social services, etc. This is one part of the implementation issue. Green New Deal is basically a jobs program with part on green technologies. Who will benefit? And the list goes on. Rebuilding infrastructure is one thing. Where do we put "n" acres of land for renewables or how many acres for new hydro (we can and are importing from Canada and the American west suggests we can pump water from the Great Lakes?)

In the US one talks about affordable housing or housing for the homeless. Calculate how much a dwelling unit costs and then subtract out the finance charges for all costs from raw materials to finished unit and then the financial costs for owning. There is increased interest in public banks to strip out much of these costs. Land trusts and similar efforts to increase affordability. The world runs on "financialization" including the proposed GND. This is but one of the issues at hand. But this issue dominates the entire argument on growth/degrowth. The science/technology is a diversion from addressing the socio/economic/cultural issues and why some have posited that society is faced with a variant of secularism where society turns to science. SMR's or variances of nuclear vs WWS is a default (as Greta thunberg has said, "ask the scientists")

There are possibilities for projects but are they scalable and sustainable and at what cost and to/for whom.

Jean Boucher

Jul 6, 2020, 6:54:10 PM7/6/20
to Ashley Colby, Tom Abeles, SCORAI Group
Nice post, Ashley, reminds me of Erik Olin Wright's work (2010) Envisioning Real Utopias.  Dear Michael Howard, I know someone who's taught with that model if you want to contact me off list - cheers - Jean

Ashwani Vasishth

Jul 6, 2020, 7:01:50 PM7/6/20
to wr...@mail.ubc.ca, sco...@googlegroups.com, ashwani....@gmail.com, Megan Seibert

Hullo, Bill.  The conversation has likely moved on, but I just had a sidebar with Mark Jacobson.  (I did invite him to join us, but he declined on that count.)

But.  He did say:

     you can use this link to clarify that the Clack paper contains false facts concerning the modeling results, which they have admitted to in writing:

--
     Ashwani
        Vasishth         vasi...@ramapo.edu          (201) 684-6616 (Jabber-enabled)
                   http://phobos.ramapo.edu/~vasishth
                  Associate Professor of Sustainability
                  Convener, Sustainability Program (BA)
President, New Jersey Higher Education Partnership for Sustainability (NJHEPS)
                    Director, Center for Sustainability
                     http://ramapo.edu/sustainability

                       Ramapo College of New Jersey
              505 Ramapo Valley Road, SSHS, Mahwah, NJ 07430

Ashwani Vasishth

Thomas Love

Jul 6, 2020, 7:27:16 PM7/6/20
to wr...@mail.ubc.ca, sco...@googlegroups.com, ashwani....@gmail.com, Megan Seibert, vasi...@ramapo.edu
Huh? Legal action against the Clack team and the National Academy of Sciences? Something more appears to be afoot here.

Can anyone with more familiarity sum up where this Jacobson/Clack debate stands?

Tom

Jul 6, 2020, 7:45:56 PM7/6/20
to tl...@linfield.edu, SCORAI Group, ash...@rizomafieldschool.com

Tom,

I cheer you on…

It seems to me that you are on the path that we need to explore and take seriously.

What I hear you saying is that our relentless focus on and arguments about (a) what we are doing to the environment and (b) the science and technology that is required to save us from the consequences of our actions are only part of the mess we are in.  Yes, ‘tis true that we are facing “ecological overshoot” which if not dealt with will lead to chaos and death.  But that is not the end of the story.

We are not yet paying serious attention to the fact that our destruction of the natural systems on which we depend for life is unwitting because it is unconscious.  (A point Bill makes clearly.)  It is unconscious because it is shaped by our inherited Modern Techno-industrial (MTI) cultures.  (A point you make.)  We are “culture trapped.”  The deepest patterns of our actions are a function of our Modern Techno-industrial (MTI) cultures.  This is a point that our MTI cultures have yet to grasp.  A major reason is that one of the messages of an MTI culture is that, as individual persons, we are free and independent of our culture.  So we are slow to come to the realization that you have expressed:  whether we like it or not, or know it or now, almost all of the major patterns of action in our MTI cultures are functions of our MTI cultures.  In short, we are facing a second form of overshoot – civilizational overshoot.

It follows that if we are in what might be called “Double Overshoot” (ecological and civilizational) then we cannot (not merely “will not”) deal with ecological overshoot as long as we are using our familiar and dominant ways of knowing, imagining, thinking about and responding to reality.  And, yes, this insight is unthinkable as long as we accept and are bound by our MTI identities and aspirations.

So, for the reasons you outline, the chances of surviving the experience of overshoot is not really nearly as good as most folks think.

This does not mean that there is no chance of a humane and sustainable future.  But such a future will not be found on the road our MTI cultures, including much of the sustainability industry, now travel and take for granted.  We need to transcend (build on, but move beyond) our MTI formation and form of civilization.

Double Overshoot/Civilizational Transcendence is the key to our future.

Wouldn’t it be good if this were on our minds, hearts and agendas.

Ruben

Ruben Nelson

Executive Director

Foresight Canada

www.foresightcanada.com

FC Logo FINAL colour 123 KB colour

image003.jpg

Ashwani Vasishth

Jul 6, 2020, 8:13:46 PM7/6/20
to Rees, William, Tom Abeles, SCORAI Group

Honestly, Bill, I don't disagree with you, in the main.  (I rely on, for instance, your Population, Technology and the Human Environment: A Thread Through Time for much of my teaching about ways out of the impasse we seem to face.)

You say: But what is  clear is that we will not get to this kind of 'there' as long as society is bent on maintaining the business-as-usual status quo ... by alternative (RE) means.

Actually, by any means...!

I can TRY to teach my students how to aim for an alternative to the status quo, but I have to show them that this is worth the effort.  That, if they put skin in the game, it will make sense, AND be worth their while.  That's what I mean by hope.  Not wishful thinking.

Bill, there is more than one way to disempower youth--you can lay the magnitude of the problem that faces them...that'll shut them down right off the bat.

You can lay a pipe dream on them...that will shut them down too...What?  Me, Worry?

But how do you give them a battle worth fighting, and a means of doing it?

In my world, you and I are irrelevant.  That freshman coming into my First Year Seminar class...that's the generation that is going to either change the status quo or buy into it.

http://phobos.ramapo.edu/~vasishth
                  Associate Professor of Sustainability
                  Convener, Sustainability Program (BA)
President, New Jersey Higher Education Partnership for Sustainability (NJHEPS)
                    Director, Center for Sustainability
                     http://ramapo.edu/sustainability

                       Ramapo College of New Jersey
              505 Ramapo Valley Road, SSHS, Mahwah, NJ 07430

Richard Rosen

Jul 6, 2020, 8:18:01 PM7/6/20
to ashwani....@gmail.com, Rees, William, Tom Abeles, SCORAI Group
How about a one child policy per couple world-wide?  As Bill has pointed out, discussions of world population growth are currently off the table, but must be put back on....   ---- Rich Rosen

Ashwani Vasishth

Jul 6, 2020, 8:18:17 PM7/6/20
to Michael Howard, wr...@mail.ubc.ca, Tom Abeles, SCORAI Group

Yes, precisely so, Michael.

someone with the expertise to evaluate the assumptions the model builders have used.  I can't speak to the validity of the assumptions, but at the very least, it allows up to simulate alternative futures.

Here, my point is, if you can['t imagine it, you can't aim for it.

--
     Ashwani
        Vasishth         vasi...@ramapo.edu          (201) 684-6616 (Jabber-enabled)
                   http://phobos.ramapo.edu/~vasishth
                  Associate Professor of Sustainability
                  Convener, Sustainability Program (BA)
President, New Jersey Higher Education Partnership for Sustainability (NJHEPS)
                    Director, Center for Sustainability
                     http://ramapo.edu/sustainability

                       Ramapo College of New Jersey
              505 Ramapo Valley Road, SSHS, Mahwah, NJ 07430

Rees, William

Jul 6, 2020, 8:19:25 PM7/6/20
to Thomas Love, sco...@googlegroups.com, ashwani....@gmail.com, Megan Seibert, vasi...@ramapo.edu

Hi, Tom et al. -

Jacobson et al. vs. Clack et al. is undoubtedly one of the most hard-fought, interesting and socially relevant scientific disputes in the recent literature.

Mark Jacobson’s (abandoned) lawsuit against Clack et al. is actually old news.  You can find an LA Times account of the suit and its ultimate fate here: https://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-jacobson-lawsuit-20180223-story.html

For an informative  and seemingly unbiased history of the dispute between Jacobson and Clack up to the filing of the lawsuit, please consult: https://medium.com/@nathangonzalez95/jacobson-v-clack-ba8604396d14

If you choose to read Jacobson’s rejection of Clack et al.’s critique as provided through Ashwani, then don't leave the issue there.  You owe it to yourself also to read: https://www.vibrantcleanenergy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/ReplyResponse.pdf

I will leave it to you to decide whether Jacobson et al. or Clack et al. are more nearly correct (pausing only to add that the pace of change implicit in Jacobson and like analyses, even if the latter were technically sound, is impossible in practical terms as suggested by my analyses in previous posts).

Good cheer and stay healthy,

Bill

Jean Boucher

Jul 6, 2020, 8:30:37 PM7/6/20
to Ruben Nelson, Tom Abeles, Noel Gerard Keough, Rees, William, sal...@alum.mit.edu, SCORAI, Benjamin Sovacool, Megan Seibert
Hi Ruben,
     I've seen you use and define "Civilizational overshoot" before and now the double overshoot, but I don't get the application... could you breakdown how a civilization, of its own, goes into overshoot?  Don't we just have the MTI cultural trance leading us ecological overshoot?

Nice video, last week, by the way!

Jean

Rees, William

Jul 6, 2020, 8:32:32 PM7/6/20
to Ashwani Vasishth, sco...@googlegroups.com, Megan Seibert

Thanks, Ashwani -

But please see my response to Tom's query regarding the Jacobson-Clack dispute and lawsuit before you form an opinion about what/who is false.

Best,

Bill

Jul 6, 2020, 9:13:12 PM7/6/20
to Michael Howard, vasi...@ramapo.edu, Tom Abeles, SCORAI Group

Michael --

Let me be clear at the outset that I have not assessed the EN-ROADS tool.  However, I am intrigued (and immediately suspicious) when I read that "The model appears to show that it is technically possible to keep global temperature from rising above 1.5C by 2100."

First, many things are 'technically possible' that have absolutely no chance of occurring for social, economic or political reasons hence the technically possible is often practically irrelevant.

Second, all models are only as good as their internal structure and assumptions, so I have to ask, does this particular tool reflect lag and threshold effects?

The world's atmosphere near the surface has already warmed by one degree Celsius above the baseline (basically pre-industrial) mean global temperature.  However, atmospheric temperature lags significantly behind the forcing effect of existing concentrations of greenhouse gases because the oceans are actually absorbing most (93% or thereabouts) of the excess heat caused by global warming.  In other words, there is enormous inertia in the system -- it would take decades for the oceans and atmosphere to equilibrate with no further GHG accumulations.

Bottom line: Even if atmospheric GHGs levels remain constant (in fact, they are rising at an accelerating rate despite CoViD-19) we are apparently committed an additional 0.5+ Celsius degree of warming.  For a technical account see:

Hansen, J. (2018), ‘Climate Change in a Nutshell: The Gathering Storm’, accessed 7 December 2018 at http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2018/20181206_Nutshell.pdf.

For a more readable assessment try:

Marshall, A. (2010), ‘Climate Change: The 40 Year Delay between Cause and Effect’, accessed 15 November 2018 at https://www.skepticalscience.com/Climate-Change-The-40-Year-Delay-Between-Cause-and-Effect.html.

Guest post by Alan Marshall from climatechangeanswers.org Following the failure to reach a strong agreement at the Copenhagen conference, climate skeptics have had a good run in the Australian media, continuing their campaigns of disinformation. In such an atmosphere it is vital that we articulate the basic science of climate change, the principles of physics and chemistry which the skeptics ignore.
I suspect this 'lag' is not part of the EN-ROADS model.

Bottom line:

It does not appear technically possible to keep mean global warming below the IPCC target of 1.5 Celsius degrees.  This means we are virtually certain to experience accelerating climate change. It could be disastrous climate change if 1.5 degrees warming pushes us --as some scientists suggest it could -- past some critical threshold or 'tipping point', onto an irreversible  'hothouse Earth' trajectory.*

Sorry,

Bill

* See:  Steffen, W., J. Rockström, K. Richardson, T. M. Lenton, C.Folke, D. Liverman, C.P. Summerhayes, A.D. Barnosky, S. E. Cornell, M. Crucifix, J.F. Donges, I. Fetzer, S. J. Lade, M. Scheffer, R. Winkelmann, and H.J. Schellnhuber (2018), ‘Trajectories of the Earth System in the Anthropocene’, PNAS August 14, 2018. 115 (33), 8252-8259, accessed 3 December 2018 at https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1810141115

A quote: "This analysis implies that, even if the Paris Accord target of a 1.5 °C to 2.0 °C rise in temperature is met, we cannot exclude the risk that a cascade of feedbacks could push the Earth System irreversibly onto a “Hothouse Earth” pathway."

Jul 6, 2020, 9:33:42 PM7/6/20
to Ruben Nelson, Tom Abeles, Noel Gerard Keough, Rees, William, sal...@alum.mit.edu, SCORAI, Benjamin Sovacool, Megan Seibert
oh, Ruben, also: I think it's fine to say that we've "unwittingly" gotten to where we are today, but I'm thinking that we cant keep talking about how unconscious our environmental impacts now are. People are starting to get it.

Statements of unwitting-ness also seem to imply that if we knew, we'd do something about it (knowledge deficit). From my research and others (see R. Lertzman), people pretty much know, but are amiss and feel helpless as to what to do about it, or what we call, lifestyle lock-in.

Jean

Jean Boucher

Jul 6, 2020, 9:47:28 PM7/6/20
to Ashwani Vasishth, Rees, William, Tom Abeles, SCORAI Group
Hi Ashwani,
   I'm not sure if you are familiar with popular education, Paulo Freire, critical pedagogy and such?  Banking versus problem solving education, teacher-student, student-teachers, guide-on-the-side versus sage-on-the-stage? Just hit delete if I bore you.

I don't think that as educators, we need to have all the answers (and in this case, we don't have them anyway--and even if we gave answers this might stifle student imagination) and what critical teaching methods recommend, and I find them very rich, is that we include students into the problem solving process. Whenever I have let go of the reigns of "where-class-should-go", I found that students have intellectually taken the classroom to heights that I would not have gone. It's impressive and humbling to watch.

We can chat more off list if you like. Also, I've not read this yet, but I know Joe and we're a bit on the same page with educational approaches.

Teaching Climate Change in the United States as part of Routledge's Advances in Climate Change Research series: https://www.routledge.com/Teaching-Climate-Change-in-the-United-States/Henderson-Drewes/p/book/9780367179472

As an exceptional point, we might have some Greta Thunbergs in our classrooms, and we might just want them to take over - :-)

My two cents,

Jean

Noel Gerard Keough

Jul 6, 2020, 10:33:46 PM7/6/20
to ruben...@shaw.ca, tl...@linfield.edu, SCORAI Group, ash...@rizomafieldschool.com
I agree Ruben it is a deeply cultural problem we have and MTI culture is at its root.
I do think though that any chance at a solution also has to be on a political level.

In Canada I reference first past the post and the fact that as we explore in SustainableCalgary 2020 State of Our city Report, first past the post means that almost never do those who get seats in provincial legislatures or federal parliament remotely mirror the values of Canadians. In AB for example the average of all Federal Election since 1997 have given the dominant party (conservative in AB) 90% of seats with only 65% of votes. So, our democracy is broken. If it were fixed perhaps it would get us closer to facing our dilemma. That means all concerned citizens becoming engaged in politics. And then of course there is the issue of money in politics, (also explored in 2020 SOOC)

I am not an expert in US politics but it seems the same and worse in the US. I understand for example that the 2 Senators per State means that control of the senate can be gained with under 10% of the total senate votes cast across the country by capturing small states. (please correct me if this is wrong)

So, money out of politics and an actual democratic electoral system seem to me to be necessary though insufficient changes for any hope of finding our way out of the fix we are in.

It is quite appalling to look around the world and see major countries ruled by Johnson, Bolsinaro, Modi, Putin and Trump to name a few. Perhaps this is just another emergent phenomenon in the crisis, or perhaps it is one place to start to right the ship. (he says hopefully? naively) But surely our chances are functionally zero if this kind of leadership persists.

Noel

On Jul 6, 2020, at 5:45 PM, Ruben Nelson <ruben...@shaw.ca> wrote:

[△EXTERNAL]

[...]

Richard Rosen

Jul 7, 2020, 8:39:30 AM7/7/20
to Rees, William, Michael Howard, vasi...@ramapo.edu, Tom Abeles, SCORAI Group
In my opinion, none of the integrated assessment models have enough detail to even begin to model the real world, including En-Roads.  Usually they do not even include a wide-enough range of electric end-use technologies, nor big items like more mass transit. They are usually weak on big issues like converting all existing buildings to electric space heat, hot water, and cooking.  Also, their means for getting back to 1.5 degrees C by 2100 is to overshoot 1.5, and then use a lot of carbon capture and storage to reverse course.  -- Rich Rosen

Benyamin Lichtenstein

Jul 7, 2020, 9:22:46 AM7/7/20
to rrose...@gmail.com, Rees, William, Michael Howard, vasi...@ramapo.edu, Tom Abeles, SCORAI Group
My dear friends and colleagues,
You have been having a rather remarkable conversation, about issues that transcend the Subject Line of this SCORAI discussion thread.  Frankly, I've been lurking as usual, but I'm struck that of all the wonderful discussions on this list, the present one seems to have captured the attention of you -- leaders in the field -- which provides a unique opportunity.

So, I acknowledge and appreciate your commitment to this Work.  If I'm fortunate I'll create the time to re-read the entire thread, with everyone's responses, which will surely be a fount of information and knowledge.  Until then, all best to you all.
Warmly,
{:=>)  Benyamin

--
Benyamin Lichtenstein
Associate Professor of Entrepreneurship and Management

Tom Abeles

Jul 7, 2020, 9:24:05 AM7/7/20
to Ashwani Vasishth, Rees, William, SCORAI Group
Hi Ashwani
you say:
I can TRY to teach my students how to aim for an alternative to the status quo, but I have to show them that this is worth the effort.  That, if they put skin in the game, it will make sense, AND be worth their while.  That's what I mean by hope.  Not wishful thinking.

Long experience in this area from freshman to post docs and work at the secondary level with mixed honors and vo/tech students says:
a) Much depends on the students' backgrounds (social,cultural, economic and particularly their educational background). It also depends on which academic institution where you are offering the educational experience. It also depends on why they are at that institution and their "needs" matrix.

b) Academics also have a different skills and competency matrix and thus different communication styles and motivations. Not all academics can mount the "bully" pulpit, not all are trained motivational speakers, nor should they be.

As has been pointed out, within this community, there is a proclivity to quote "science" as scripture, or scientists as apostles.

That's a complex, dynamic system which will vary within a class and even throughout a class

tom
tom abeles

Ruben Nelson

Jul 7, 2020, 5:35:51 PM7/7/20
to Noel Gerard Keough, tl...@linfield.edu, SCORAI Group, ash...@rizomafieldschool.com

Noel,

I agree fully that at some point a new cultural imagination of our past, present and possible futures has to show up in our politics.

I also agree that, as of today, our politics is inhospitable to any such voices.  They are neither spoken nor heard.

I also agree that in 2020 we (7.7 billion of us) are in an appalling mess of messes that forebodes a darkening future.

Further, I suggest that, as yet, none of the many efforts that are now being made to make reliable sense of where we are, how we got here and how we might “lead ourselves out of the fly-bottle” (to paraphrase Wittgenstein) are making the headway we need to avoid what for most today are unimagined and unimaginable disasters.

Conclusion, the main drama on this planet to 2050 will not be watching us miss the goal of becoming “carbon neutral.”  Rather, we will be mesmerized by the horrifying sceptical of watching our form of civilization crumble – a form of civilization we talked ourselves into believing would be forever.  After all, in 1989 Fukyama blurted out one of our deepest beliefs, “We are the end of history.”  From now on, all else will become like us.  Liberal democratic capitalism has won!

Oh, my!

Ruben

Ruben Nelson

Executive Director

Foresight Canada

www.foresightcanada.com

FC Logo FINAL colour 123 KB colour

image003.jpg

Jean Boucher

Jul 7, 2020, 5:48:50 PM7/7/20
to Ruben Nelson, Noel Gerard Keough, Thomas Love, SCORAI Group, Ashley Colby
Hi Ruben,
     As far as I know, Ulrich Beck's work on Risk Society talks about how we got here - not sure if that's what you mean though - Jean

Noel Gerard Keough

Jul 7, 2020, 5:49:47 PM7/7/20
to Ruben Nelson, tl...@linfield.edu, SCORAI Group, ash...@rizomafieldschool.com
Agree with most of this Ruben.

Depending on how you define win, yes it won.
But I might qualify the winner as liberal capitalism.
Not much democracy left in it.

Now what do I do with my concern for my daughters future?
Teach her to be a survivor I guess.

Noel

On Jul 7, 2020, at 3:35 PM, Ruben Nelson <ruben...@shaw.ca> wrote:

[△EXTERNAL]

[...]

Tom Abeles

Jul 7, 2020, 7:17:23 PM7/7/20
to rubennelson, Noel Gerard Keough, Thomas Love, SCORAI Group, Ashley Colby
Hi Ruben

The year 20xx and the average temp at that point will not find civilization at the cliff's edge as if we are lemmings arriving at the drop-off into the "void". This is not a race to some end-point or some finite goal like "n" push-ups. The issue is that the earth and all on it are part of a complex adaptive system. The planet has gone through cycles from a physical perspective and biology has/is evolving with it. Humans can not halt that change or return to a "past that never was" for a "future that will never be, regardless of what Fukuyama has proclaimed or as, in Star Trek, "make it so Mr Sulu.

What we can do, as a responsible civilization, is to understand the mess we have created in our house and neglecting the consequences. That "mess" includes our relationships with our fellow humans and others in the ecosystem. What the consequences of such actions has never been the "hard" discussion which is significantly more  complex than dealing with the climate. In fact, climate change could be one of such consequences. Science does not have the answer, in fact one might say such a focus is "reducto ad absurdum". Greta Thunberg has been quoted as saying "listen to the scientists". It's a clever, and almost unconscious, misdirection. As an example, the Green New Deal follows the same path as the US Interstate Highway project and other such mega efforts. It also flows from many of the development projects globally, and recently has kicked over the hornet's nest with Black Lives Matter in its global reach.

This does not discount the excellent research and engineering around issues around "climate". That is but one point in the larger matrix. It avoids the "hard" question.

Ruben Nelson

Jul 7, 2020, 7:45:53 PM7/7/20
to Noel Gerard Keough, tl...@linfield.edu, SCORAI Group, ash...@rizomafieldschool.com

Noel,

Yes, nurture her capacity to have transcendent experiences – exper4inces that are so profound that she feels that she is in touch with the deep nature of this universe.  Do it in any way that suits your own grasp on reality and how you allow reality to grasp you.  She will need such grounding to survive.

Northrop Frye used to remind us that there is every bit as much drama, tension, horror and mayhem in a Comedy as there is in a Tragedy.  The difference, he would say with a twinkle in his eye is that in a Comedy you have to be able to survive to the end of the story.

Teach your daughter that life on this planet is a Comedy.  It only looks like a tragedy if you do not know how to look, explore, know and respond more deeply.

I was characterized by a Catholic Sister (not my background) as a “hopeful pessimist.”  She nailed me.  I am pessimistic about how hard the human journey is becoming and will become.  But as with Oliver Wendell Holmes who sought the “simplicity the other side of complexity”, I seek hope that lies the other side of despair.  For there is now and will be despair.

Ruben

Ruben Nelson

Executive Director

Foresight Canada

www.foresightcanada.com

FC Logo FINAL colour 123 KB colour

image003.jpg

Ruben Nelson

Jul 7, 2020, 8:09:39 PM7/7/20
to Jean Boucher, Tom Abeles, Noel Gerard Keough, Rees, William, sal...@alum.mit.edu, SCORAI, Benjamin Sovacool, Megan Seibert

Jean,

Of course my language is puzzling.  It is newish and not yet in the literature.  I shall define the key terms and show how they interrelate to answer your very good question:  (I acknowledge that given how ‘civilization’ is usually used in Modern cultures, my usage does not readily make sense.  This is a clue that I am using the language in a new way.  For example, you speak of “a civilization” as if there is such a thing as “a civilization.”  I reject that notion and the common usages of “Western/Eastern/Chinese/Greek/ civilization.  Rather, as you will see, I speak of human cultures, which by definition will exemplify a “form of civilization.”  The difference is substantial.)

“Overshoot,” in human terms, occurs when we continue to behave in ways that that have been successful for us in the past when the situation we are in has changed enough so that our once successful behaviors are no longer successful; to the contrary, they are now somewhat (mildly to totally) destructive.  (The “we” in the prior sentence can occur at any scale from a single person to a whole culture or even to all of the cultures that exemplify a given “form of civilization.”)  By this definition, overshoot is a function of “context insensitivity.”  We get into overshoot when simply do not notice, pay attention to, digest and act on the signals that the situation we were in is changing enough in fundamental ways that it requires us to learn new behaviours, and possibly even new ways of thinking, imagining and knowing.  I assume you will recognize that being in overshoot is a fairly common human experience.  Happily, most of the time it is only mildly painful and can be seen as “just another learning experience.”  But, of course, it can be very painful, even lethal at any scale.

“Civilizational overshoot” occurs when the behaviours that are consistent with the “core paradigm” that defines a given “form of civilization,” behaviours that in the past were seen to be successful, now lead to the disintegration and collapse of all cultures that exemplify the “core paradigm” of that “form of civilization.”  (Note that this is a strong statement.  It implies that any culture that exemplifies a “form of civilization” that is in civilizational overshoot cannot avoid disintegration and collapse as long as it maintains its identity on the basis of its established “core paradigm”.  In such cases, the only possibilities are (1) eventual collapse and (2) “civilizational transcendence”, i.e. the culture intentionally and successfully develops/evolves ways of knowing, imagining, thinking things through and acting that exemplify a new and more reliable form of civilization.  Such a new “form of civilization” will necessarily exemplify a new and more reliable “core paradigm”.)  By this definition, both “cultural overshoot” and “civilizational overshoot,” are logical possibilities in human history.  “Cultural overshoot” occurs when the behaviours of a given culture lead it to collapse, and when other cultures which exemplify the same form of civilization do not collapse.  That is, the fault lies with the culture that collapses, not with the core paradigm of its form of civilization.  “Civilizational overshoot” occurs when all cultures which exemplify a given form of civilization go into overshoot and collapse.  That is, the fault lies with the core paradigm of the form of civilization.

I have come to the conclusion, in order to make reliable sense of human history, our present and our futures, that we need to distinguish a “culture” from the “form of civilization” it exemplifies at a given time and place.  This distinction is somewhat akin to the genus/species distinction with which we are all familiar.  Just as a grape is one example of fruit, so the Stoney-Nakoda, my neighbours, are one example of the Indigenous form of civilization.  This bi-level distinction allows me to read human history as involving both (1) the evolution of given cultures within a given “form of civilization,” and (2) the occasional emergence in history of a new “form of civilization.”  This way I can distinguish between (1) changes/evolutions that may disturb or enhance a given culture but do not affect or disturb the core paradigm of the “form of civilization” the culture exemplifies, and (2) changes/evolutions that affect not only the culture, but the core paradigm of its form of civilization.  The latter, of course, are far more significant.  The “forms of civilization that have been exemplified to date in history are:  (1) Indigenous.  (2) Settled agriculture-based.  (3) Modern Techno-industrial.  Since you have seen the presentation I did last week you know that I have models that allow me to define these three forms of civilization and distinguish among them.  You also know that a Post-Modern way of knowing does not result in a fourth form of civilization since that way of knowing cannot be exemplified in an ongoing culture.  (I note again that when I speak of a “form of civilization” I am not using the concept of either ‘civilization’ or ‘a civilization’ in the common ways these concepts are now used.)

The “Core Paradigm” of a form of civilization is found in the way the following are known, imagined, thought through and responded to:  (a) the nature of reality, (b) the nature and power of persons and (c) the relationship of persons to reality.  A new form of civilization begins to emerge when a critical mass of a people openly embrace new ways to know and be known by reality and respond to it as persons.  (note:  If this be at all the case, then the search for a humane and sustainable form of civilization that is focussed on the primacy of the ecology on which supports our life is understandable, but wrongheaded.)  If you want more see:  Civilizational Paradigm Change:  The Modern-Industrial Case.

“Civilizational Transcendence” is the process by which a new form of civilization emerges from/within the cultures that exemplify an existing form of civilization.  So the Settled Agricultural form first emerged from the Indigenous form some 13,000 years ago as the Earth warmed with the Holocene.  And, the Modern Techno-industrial (MTI) form has emerged over the last one thousand years.  Up to now, the emergence of a new form of civilization in history has been optional, local/regional in scale, unconscious and over a very long period of time – centuries.  (Note: we now face the challenge of nurturing a new form of civilization into being as a requirement for the survival of our species and as a conscious and meta-reflexive endeavour.  What is more, it must be done rapidly by any historical standard and in a manner that is scalable at a meta-level.  This is a wholly new challenge in human history.)

“Double Overshoot” is the view that today we in MTI cultures face two forms of overshoot, rather than only one.  Double overshoot refers to both ecological and civilizational overshoot.  My observation is that, by and large, as MTI cultures it has not yet dawned on us that we are in Double Overshoot.  Yes, we know about ecological overshoot.  This is where almost all of the time, energy and money of the sustainability industry is focussed.  To the extent that we also focus on things human and personal, our attention is derived from our major concern with ecological overshoot.  Things social are attended to in order to lessen our impacts on the ecology.  However, all of this activity is well within the framing (core paradigm) of our MTI cultures.  It is virtually unthinkable to us that we can, let alone must, transcend the MTI ways of knowing about which we have been, and still are, so proud since the 1st Enlightenment.  However, the Double Overshoot/Civilizational Transcendence hypothesis takes the view that we in MTI cultures are in ecological overshoot because we are in civilizational overshoot, i.e. the latter is the root cause of the former.  Should this be at all the case, then we will have to learn to come to terms with the reasons why the MTI form of civilization has become both unstable and lethal.  What is more, we have to embrace either disorder and death or civilizational transcendence.  Given this choice, civilizational transcendence appears to me to be preferable.

Given the above, it is reasonable to suggest that a whole “form of civilization” can go into overshoot (become lethal to life).  The question then becomes, which forms of civilization, if any, have become lethal?  The answer to this question appears to be that it is clearly not the case that either Indigenous or Settled Agricultural forms of civilization have become lethal.  This leaves us with only one possibility – that in the 20th and 21st Centuries our MTI form of civilization has become lethal.

I acknowledge that I have not yet made the case that this is so; that all I have done to date is open, what is to me, the interesting possibility – that there is a case to be made and that if it amounts to anything at all, then it is a case we need to learn to explore, understand and live into.  Our future may hang on the outcome.

Thank you for being patient.

Ruben

Ruben Nelson

Executive Director

Foresight Canada

www.foresightcanada.com

FC Logo FINAL colour 123 KB colour

Jul 8, 2020, 10:44:09 AM7/8/20
to SCORAI Group
Ruben,

Your points, attention to detail, as well as your humor and wit never cease to captivate my readership. I'd like to use as a point of debate one definition you provided, that I think can illustrate some larger assumptions a lot of us make. You define:

[...]

(underline, bold added by me)

For me, this is the main point with which I have ever disagreed with anything you've written, and I think it's at the core of a problem I see with a lot of solutions thinking put forth by the educated class. There is no evidence that any civilization has ever made a conscious, meta-reflexive effort to develop a new form of civilization. Up until this point it has always happened unconsciously, as a result of myriad social/environmental/climate/geographic/whatever factors. Not to be deterministic, but I suggest that the thinking that we can just consciously, reflectively imagine the civilization we want to become is extremely hubristic and a result of the (in my opinion) worst part of enlightenment thinking that basically goes: the human brain is the best, most complex thing in the universe and can solve any problem, including the control of and dominion over nature.

I bring up this point because I think the assumption that we can use our brains to imagine/think our way into a new civilization pervades many of our conversations, to very little avail. The idea that we can invent new words or use science to convince people to optionally change their material reality I think has no basis in the evidence. We continue commissioning reports and then collectively rage and scratch our heads as to why people aren't following our Very Good Advice. If someone has some evidence to the contrary (that shows a civilization actively planning their next iteration and then implementing that plan) I'd love to see it. But my sense is that after all the years spent on this project trying to think our way out, we are in a worse place now than we've ever been.

Recently I saw a talk on youtube of Indian Activist Dr. Vandana Shiva who claimed we need to get out of our heads, out of the imaginary space, because the models we create about what could be don't end up playing out in the messy world that already is. Instead, she suggests, we actually get out there and start making the material world as we'd like to see it. She works on fighting for the rights of peasant farmers to stay on their land, and she teaches others about the ecological knowledge of this population so they can take those principles to their farms. This also reminds me of a paper I read in grad school about scientists engaged in studying salmon populations. One group of scientists made a complex computer model inside an office. Another group went out and counted the salmon. The second group was much, much more accurate.

I do not denounce the importance of science as a tool for better understanding, but it needs to be part of a larger toolkit that makes actual material changes in the world. In other words, it is not "imagine the future -> enact that imaginary" but instead "enact changes -> note successes and failures in the real world -> adapt." This second way is the way it has always been done in civilizational transitions. My sense is that our collective goal should be to have these on-the-ground, material projects in process so that when our current civilization fully collapses we don't say "here's my scientifically-proven computer model about how to move forward" instead we can say "here's our ground-tested infrastructure that we know works in x, y, and z circumstances. See if it works for you."

Warmly,

Ashley

Ashley Colby Fitzgerald

ash...@rizomafieldschool.com

PhD, Environmental Sociology

Co-founder Rizoma Field School

Colonia, Uruguay

Ruben Nelson

Jul 8, 2020, 2:04:30 PM7/8/20
to ash...@rizomafieldschool.com, SCORAI Group

Ashley,

The issue you raise is one dear to my head and heart.  Thank you.

Allow me to try to sharpen the issue:

(I think that broadly we agree on the following, but please set me straight where you would differ.  I affirm what you have written, other than the sense that you appear to feel/think that I am arguing for what you are arguing against.  I do not.  I agree with you.  I do not wish to be heard as suggesting what you are arguing against.)

1.       Today, we (7.7 billion of us) share a common need.  We need those who live by and within an MTI frame of reference to learn to live into new ways of being and living that are beyond (transcend) the MTI ways of being and living that they now unconsciously take for granted.  In my language, we need a new form of civilization to emerge within and among MTI persons and cultures.

2.       Up to now the emergence of new forms of civilization have been very slow, local/regional, unconscious and optional processes.

3.       Even if I am right that it the case that the next form of human civilization is already coming to life within and among us, it is unlikely that there is enough time to allow normal historical processes to work their way out.  I think we both agree that such a strategy is too high risk to seriously consider.  (In saying this, I acknowledge that as I read human history the “normal” unconscious processes of the emergence of a new form of civilization have taken one or more millennia.  And, as I read our present situation, it dynamics and its major trends, even if the roots of the next form of civilization can be found in the early 19th Century, it is unreasonable to assume that MTI cultures will remain tolerably stable and the Earth will remain tolerably inhabitable for another 500 years under the domination of MTI peoples and cultures.)

4.       Therefore, something must be done.  Something that has not been done before in human history.  The question is, what?

5.       You have pointed out that any attempt to imagine and think our way into a new future will almost certainly fail.  You imply that the reason this is the likely outcome is that up to now such “imagining of a new future” has been undertaken well within the MTI framework.  On this point you and I entirely agree.  Every attempt to utilize MTI ways of knowing, imagining, thinking through and responding to reality, including our own as persons, will fail.  As Einstein noted, we cannot use the level of thinking that caused our messes to get us out of the messes.

6.       What, then, is left for us to do?

7.       My short answer is this.  First, develop and fine tune a radar-like capacity to sense, see, name, explore and render harmless every move of every kind that reflects and reinforces our MTI aspirations, identities and habits of body, heart, mind and spirit.  (This implies that, among other things, we need to take to new levels some of the skills developed by those who have engaged in liberation struggles.)  Second, develop into persons, groups and cultures that are wise, integral and meta-reflexive.  (Wise = no important dimension has been left out.  Integral = we experience, work with and nurture a relational sense of reality.  Meta-reflexive = we are as focussed on our own presuppositions and presumption as we are on those of others.)  Third, work with ourselves and others as if the first two actually matter.  (Pun intended.)  For example, develop a second form of radar that sniffs out, names and nurtures the presence of the next form of civilization, even if only in embryonic form.  For example, tread gently and hesitantly since none of us have any experience in the work of nurturing a new form of civilization into life, in ourselves, let alone in whole cultures.

Respectfully and with deep gratitude,

Ruben

Ruben Nelson

Executive Director

Foresight Canada

www.foresightcanada.com

FC Logo FINAL colour 123 KB colour

image003.jpg
image004.jpg
image005.jpg
image006.jpg

Ashley Colby

Jul 8, 2020, 2:27:08 PM7/8/20
to Ruben Nelson, SCORAI Group
Ruben,

Excellent and thoughtful response, as always. I think now I understand better where we might differ. I agree with your points *philosophically* entirely. I believe where we disagree is on the level of *strategy*.

Yes, philosophically, we need to get out of the culture/mindset of tech society in order to develop something new. Yes, philosophically, we should tend to work with those who are wise, integral, and meta-reflexive in that struggle.

But, I think hidden beneath your well-constructed argument is something insidious that can (and has) hurt our chances of getting where we want to go: and that is leaning on the idea that it is fundamentally a project of thinking in the right ways ("expanding our consciousness", if you please, in 1960's parlance) that will get us quickly where we want to go. The project I propose is not in the mind at all. Or at least that's not where it starts.

I also agree with you that we have little time to mitigate damages. That's why it's even more important to give up on this dead end strategy of a 'social movement of thoughts' and start doing and building infrastructure.

Have you ever been in a classroom, or read a book, about a place or culture and then went to visit that place? A book can tell you about what it's like to be in Rome. That people drink wine at business lunches. And the cobblestone streets. And the slant of light in the ancient Roman forum in the late afternoon. But until you see it, experience it, you won't know it with your body, and you also won't be changed by it.

I've seen this kind of experiential learning take place and it is absolutely remarkable the amount of information a human can take in through new experiences, and how much it changes them. When I bring students here to Uruguay, they see an 'ecology of the poor' in a way I could never describe to them in their classrooms in North America. They see sharing, partnership, care for the earth, parenting, alternative technologies, an entirely different way of thinking and living and being. This experience changes them, in a deep way. Many of them return to their lives and start doing things differently.

What I've seen is the process of *doing* actually changes our minds in ways we never could guess in advance. It is a virtuous cycle wherein we are building infrastructure, and *at the same time* changing how we think/who we are which then helps us to *do* better things. I research people who do this and I am finding the same thing over and over: action/changed behavior changes culture/ideas, not the other way around.

Ashley

Ashley Colby Fitzgerald

ash...@rizomafieldschool.com

PhD, Environmental Sociology

Co-founder Rizoma Field School

Colonia, Uruguay

Brian Valbjørn Sørensen

Jul 8, 2020, 2:59:01 PM7/8/20
to wr...@mail.ubc.ca, Michael Howard, vasi...@ramapo.edu, Tom Abeles, SCORAI Group
For those on this listserv who might be interested in En-ROADS, pls see below.

Subject: En-ROADS confidence-building, testing, and technical details webinar tomorrow

 Hi -

If you are interested in the rigor and technicalities behind the En-ROADS Climate Solutions Simulator, please join us tomorrow.

This Thursday July 9, at 7am and 2pm EDT (GMT-5) Climate Interactive will hold a webinar on En-ROADS confidence-building, testing, and technical details.

Climate Interactive Co-Director Andrew Jones will lead participants through the extensive testing and model comparisons our team has conducted in order to build confidence in the En-ROADS simulator. The session will include an exploration of the Shared Socioeconomic Pathways (SSPs) as modeled by various Integrated Assessment Models (IAMs) as well as other scenarios created by Shell, the IEA, and DNV-GL.

Register for 7am EDT (GMT-5) https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/942116944568879118
Register for 2pm EDT (GMT-5) https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7184471065964840974

This is the last webinar in our current En-ROADS Training Series. If you register for one of the times above, recordings of previous sessions will also be sent in the follow-up email.

Thanks!
Ellie

Ellie Johnston
Climate Interactive Climate and Energy Lead

Brian
---------
Sent from phone

JOHN DE GRAAF,* JOHN DE GRAAF

Jul 8, 2020, 2:59:20 PM7/8/20
to ash...@rizomafieldschool.com, Ruben Nelson, SCORAI Group
Wise words, Ashley.  I do think you are right here, and I especially worry about overly-abstract thinking and overly-complex presentations of reasons to change.  I differ slightly in that I don't think we can all get to Uruguay (as you suggest students are, and being transformed thereby), or many of the remarkable experiments in sustainable living I've had a chance to see as a filmmaker.  So we have to tell stories about them, and use language (eg. nature's gifts rather than ecosystem services), especially the simple and passionate language of beauty, care, love, etc. that describe the life we hope to see in ways that resonate broadly and emotionally.  I can't get out and do some of the great things you and others are doing but I can call attention to them through words and film, and in ways that touch hearts and may actually change behaviors--I have received literally hundreds of responses from people telling me that my film AFFLUENZA led them to scale back their lives and in some cases have actually observed these changes.

Keep up the good work!
John

John de Graaf

www.johndegraaf.com

image006.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg
image005.jpg

Ruben Nelson

Jul 8, 2020, 4:17:09 PM7/8/20
to Ashley Colby, SCORAI Group

Ashley,

Once again, I agree with your assertions, except for your assertion about what I am saying.  You see differences between us that only appear if I am actually saying what you say I am saying.   But I am not.

To get it out of the way, I agree with you on embodied (experiential) learning and living.  No quarrel there.  And I am not wedded to “thinking” in the way you suggest.  Among other things, such a disembodied view of thinking is a very MTI understanding.  As I suspect you know, its roots are in the 1st Enlightenment.  (Aristotle would be appalled by such a fragmented sense of human experience.)  I have invested much of my life wiggling my way out from under my formation as a brighter than average successful MTI male as I stumble towards a 2nd Enlightenment.  I have come to see the need of the latter not only for me, but for all MTI persons and cultures.

And, I did not say, “we should tend to work with those who are wise, integral, and meta-reflexive in that struggle.”

Rather, my strategy has long been to find, connect with and nurture those who are willing to become “Wise, integral and meta-reflexive.”  This transformative quest is a very different proposition.  Ultimately, it leads us out of the mess of messes we who are MTI are in.

image003.jpg
image004.jpg
image005.jpg
image006.jpg
image002.jpg

Tom Abeles

Jul 8, 2020, 5:43:59 PM7/8/20
to Ashley Colby, Ruben Nelson, SCORAI Group
Hi Ashley and Ruben

Ashley's position is interesting for a number of reasons:
a) Michael Shellenberger, in his Apocalypse Never describes his experiences as part of the base that has led to the materials in his book.
b) Jeffery Sachs, the environmental economist, was in charge of a theoretically conceived set of projects, the Millennium Villages- all of which, in practice, were, IMO, failures
c) there are many of us who have worked in projects around the world, some in small scale development and others of a more commercial nature. That includes within the US and abroad.

We see the many attempts for utopian worlds, e.g. Socialism,Communism, and variants of Capitalism, including hybrids such as China or the small country of Rwanda as  current examples at the macro level and myriads of smaller efforts. The questions one can ask are: sustainable? duplicable? scalable?

All the above need unpacking and critical discussion

JOHN DE GRAAF,* JOHN DE GRAAF

Jul 8, 2020, 7:08:30 PM7/8/20
to ruben...@shaw.ca, Ashley Colby, SCORAI Group
Like Ashley, I had trouble understanding you as well, Ruben.  I think you might want to consider how to make your writing more clear.  I find that all the new terms and the abstractions actually tend to prevent understanding.  Perhaps I am simply not smart enough, but I've been working on these issues of sustainable consumption for 50 years and if I am having trouble understanding, it's likely to be even more of a problem for readers outside academic circles.  I will not say anything more as I realize some may see me as a thorn in the side and anti-intellectual to  boot, but I hope we will learn to simplify our language and find better ways to reach the general public, Ashley clearly is doing.  I made the same points in my conference workshop so I'll stop now.

thanks,
John

John de Graaf

www.johndegraaf.com

image002.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg
image005.jpg
image006.jpg

Jean Boucher

Jul 9, 2020, 2:07:27 AM7/9/20
to John de Graaf, Ruben Nelson, Ashley Colby, SCORAI Group
Hi Ashely,
     I'm wondering what kind of evidence you have for this quote?: "They see sharing, partnership, care for the earth, parenting, alternative technologies, an entirely different way of thinking and living and being. This experience changes them, in a deep way. Many of them return to their lives and start doing things differently."

This is not a critique of what you are doing, as I think it's awesome and necessary. But from my research, few people change through epiphany moments, change is generally a collection of moments over time.
Or one of my favorite sayings is, "If you want to live an alternative life, you need an alternative community."

My suspicion is this: I leave Kansas, go to Rome, come back, and try to make good bread, look for good espresso and gelato.
But after a few months (under social pressures and lack of support in contexts of Kansas), I slip back to good ol' Kansas culture.

Though yes, a seed may be planted (a cool seed), it still needs more water and attention.

I also used to work in experiential education and we were hard pressed to make accurate assessment of our work.

Thoughts?  thx

Jean

Ruben Nelson

Jul 9, 2020, 11:43:40 AM7/9/20
to JOHN DE GRAAF,* JOHN DE GRAAF, Ashley Colby, SCORAI Group

John,

Thank you for giving voice to your frustration.  It is a gift.

I, too, find that it is difficult to get on board with ideas, especially when they break with rather than extend commonly accepted ideas.

I am working on clearer presentations, especially in print.  I find that visual presentations are easier for me and for those who are encountering these ideas for the first time.  If you are interested you will find a 30 min. video exploration of “Civilizational Overshoot” here.  It was made to the Canadian Committee of the Club of Rome.

Ruben

Ruben Nelson

Executive Director

Foresight Canada

www.foresightcanada.com

FC Logo FINAL colour 123 KB colour

image006.jpg
image007.jpg
image008.jpg
image009.jpg
image003.jpg

Jean Boucher

Jul 17, 2020, 8:16:04 PM7/17/20
to Ruben Nelson, JOHN DE GRAAF,* JOHN DE GRAAF, Ashley Colby, SCORAI Group