Release: SCM-Manager 2.15.0

Eduard Heimbuch

Mar 15, 2021, 10:00:54 AM3/15/21
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Hello SCM-Manager community,

try out our newest features:
- filename-, directory-based search inside repositories
- partial diff view on large changesets
- SCM-Server metrics as JSON and for prometheus
- Improved markdown support

https://scm-manager.org/blog/posts/2021-03-12-scm-manager-2-15-0/

Your SCM-Manager Team

Stephanie Smith LMHC

Mar 16, 2021, 8:58:09 AM3/16/21
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Folks, why do you have files with peoples' name inside of repositories? What information areyou tracking on these people? Why are you tracking major changes on Sonia? What do you do with the data that you are collecting?

--
Stephanie Smith
______________

Rene Pfeuffer

Mar 16, 2021, 12:02:18 PM3/16/21
to scmmanager
Hi,

I'm not quite sure whether I fully understand your question. Do you relate to the "sonia" in the images? This simply is (or has been) the default package name that was used overall at the university, where SCM-Manager has been founded. As far as I know this does not relate to any person, but just was "a" name.

You can rest assured that we do not track people or any data related to people, whatsoever.

Regards

René

Stephanie Smith LMHC

Mar 16, 2021, 12:05:01 PM3/16/21
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
That is helpful.

I have been in this thread for a year - since I found the name of this program attached to a 3rd thing in my email. I have been reassured that yall have never changed the code and don't track individuals.

Can I ask after a year of reading this thread, what exactly does this program do?

Rene Pfeuffer

Mar 16, 2021, 12:21:52 PM3/16/21
to scmmanager
Well, SCM-Manager is short for "Source Code Manager Manager". A "Source Code Manager" is a system, that lets you can track changes to files, like (but not limited to) source code. The idea behind this is that you can always retrace the development of the files ("what did it look like last year?", "when was this line changed?", "why does it look like it does look now?"). Nowadays, the probably most known SCM is Git (https://git-scm.com/; you may have heard about GitHub). But there are others. Some years ago, the one used a lot was SVN, and around the same time Git was created, yet another one named Mercurial was invented. SCM-Manager joins these three systems (and theoretically more) under one UI, so that for example development teams that want to migrate from SVN to Git just have to install one server to host both kinds, with a common permission model and multiple ways to connect to other services in the same way. You can find out more about SCM-Manager on our homepage: https://www.scm-manager.org/

Hope this gives an idea about what we do.