Please share your use cases

Stéfan van der Walt

Apr 13, 2016, 1:49:03 PM4/13/16
to scikit-image

Hi, everyone

I am giving a talk on scikit-image soon, and would like to highlight how it is being used in practice.

Please share your own applications with links to images or plots, or let me know if you spot someone else doing something cool!

Thanks,
Stéfan

Alexandre Fioravante de Siqueira

Apr 30, 2016, 12:51:51 AM4/30/16
to scikit-image
Hi Stéfan,
is this valid yet? I could send you the preliminary results of my research.
Thanks!

Alex

Stéfan van der Walt

Apr 30, 2016, 4:49:42 PM4/30/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 at 21:51 Alexandre Fioravante de Siqueira <sique...@gmail.com> wrote:
is this valid yet? I could send you the preliminary results of my research.
Thanks!

It is, and please do!  My talk is on Tuesday.

So far I have examples from astronomy (thanks Christoph!) and  pathology (thanks Quentin and Romain!).

Regards
Stéfan

Nadav Horesh

May 1, 2016, 3:14:10 AM5/1/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
My company (Visionsense) make stereoscopic medical video cameras for endoscopic surgeries. I use a mix of opencv and scikit-image functions to test and tune the image processing pipeline. Attached here a snapshot of a utility I built for this purpose based on skimage widgets and plugins. As a no-programmer, these tools are much more accessible and tailored to my needs than the Qt widgets, and the line-profile tool is invaluable image exploration tool.

   Nadav.

surg_image1.png

Robin Wilson

May 1, 2016, 8:49:15 AM5/1/16
to scikit-image
If you'd like another example, then I've used scikit-image for processing satellite images to retrieve high-resolution maps of air pollution. I developed the method to do this during my PhD, and it uses scikit-image for most of the image processing parts of it, which involve edge-detection and segmentation, plus a number of more generic image processing tasks.

If you'd like more details then feel free to contact me off-list,

Robin

Stéfan van der Walt

May 3, 2016, 6:30:48 AM5/3/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 1 May 2016 at 00:14 Nadav Horesh <nadavh...@gmail.com> wrote:
My company (Visionsense) make stereoscopic medical video cameras for endoscopic surgeries. I use a mix of opencv and scikit-image functions to test and tune the image processing pipeline. Attached here a snapshot of a utility I built for this purpose based on skimage widgets and plugins. As a no-programmer, these tools are much more accessible and tailored to my needs than the Qt widgets, and the line-profile tool is invaluable image exploration tool.

Thank you very much for your example, Nadav!

Stéfan

Josh Warner

May 3, 2016, 7:31:31 PM5/3/16
to scikit-image
I know of uses of the package for:
  • Feature extraction prior to machine learning, applied to medical images (single modality as well as registered multi-spectral images), including essentially every tool in `skimage.measure`.
  • Medical image segmentation of 3d and multi-spectral 3d volumes - mostly with random walker
  • Generation of 3d-printable meshes from volumes using marching_cubes for teaching or pre-operative visualization
  • Interactive line profile averaging of speleothem micrographs using the viewer
  • Enhancement of micrograph images, using adaptive local histogram equalization
  • ... oh, and panorama stitching ;)
Josh