Dedicated work time from employers

Stefan van der Walt

Sep 21, 2016, 3:28:35 PM9/21/16
to scikit-image
Dear scikit-image developers

In an effort to make it easier for you to contribute to scikit-image, I
am sending letters to employers asking them to donate a certain amount
of your work time (10 hours a month) to the project.

If you are in a position where this would be helpful, please get in
touch.

The goal, ultimately, is to have have one (or preferably several)
developers active daily in managing the project and reviewing code
contributions.

Best regards
Stéfan

Josh Warner

Sep 21, 2016, 7:32:30 PM9/21/16
to scikit-image
Until June, my hands are tied. Surgery residency as an intern will do that. Right now, such a letter wouldn't really go very far.

Starting after that point, I will be a Radiology resident. Infinitely superior hours, and my program director has offered 10-12 months of the following four years for research. I will be able to spend a sizeable chunk of that time being much more active.

Wish I could do more in the short term,

Josh

Stefan van der Walt

Sep 21, 2016, 8:24:56 PM9/21/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Josh

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016, at 16:32, Josh Warner wrote:
Starting after that point, I will be a Radiology resident. Infinitely superior hours, and my program director has offered 10-12 months of the following four years for research. I will be able to spend a sizeable chunk of that time being much more active.

We look forward to having you back!  Thanks for the feedback.

Stéfan

Johannes Schönberger

Sep 22, 2016, 2:33:50 AM9/22/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefan,

This is a great idea! Unfortunately, such an arrangement will not be possible on my side but I will try to help with reviews as much as time permits. I really hope someone has the option to take this great opportunity.

Thanks for your efforts!
Johannes

Emmanuelle Gouillart

Sep 22, 2016, 2:17:37 PM9/22/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Dear Stéfan,

thanks for the initiative!

My "employer" until December is a 2-week old little boy, and I hope that
I'll soon be able to set aside a few hours every week for scikit-image,
which will be a welcome change from lullabies and nappies :-). As for my
regular employer, I'm afraid that my current position as group leader is
not compatible with work on scikit-image during work hours, so I'll try
to keep on contributing a little during evenings and week-ends.

Best,
Emma

Juan Nunez-Iglesias

Sep 22, 2016, 8:25:02 PM9/22/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Emma, you should try reading him Stéfan's letter as a lullaby, maybe it will calm him down and it'll give you more time to work on scikit-image! =P