New SOO logo - thoughts?

Jane Park

Mar 18, 2014, 7:34:38 PM3/18/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Erika Pogorelc
Hi all! b/c we all love chiming in our two cents about logos, here is a new SOO logo that Erika made to be more in line with then P2PU theme and new SOO landing page, not to mention the fact that SOO is a joint P2PU and CC initiative.

See first logo attached. See second (old) logo attached for comparison.

She also tweaked the lock icon so we don't have to use the CC-licensed one (a pain to attribute every time we use it).

What do you guys think? If there are no strong objections, we will just go with this one from now on!

If there are strong objections, what suggestions do you have for Erika to revise?

Cheers,
Jane

--
Jane Park
Project Manager

the School of Open, a collaboration with P2PU: http://schoolofopen.org/

Like what we do? Donate: https://creativecommons.net/donate/
soo-logo-new-260x260.png
school of open logo.png

Timothy Gaudette

Mar 18, 2014, 9:24:06 PM3/18/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jane,

Love the simple, clean design.

My gut reaction is that the color feels a little harsh.  Although I do believe that's the green of the four P2PU colors, which I do like using that as the color inspiration of the schools.  Maybe try out the teal?

Ideas attached.  Really do like the new design, just find the green unsettling for some reason.

--
http://schoolofopen.org

-Tim
soo-logo-new-idea-260x260.png
soo-logo-new-teal-260x260.png

Pete Forsyth

Mar 18, 2014, 10:57:48 PM3/18/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
Great!

I agree with Tim -- I like his colors better, the light green is a little neon-y and over the top. (Maybe this displays differently on different monitors/browsers/OS's? Or maybe just "different strokes for different folks!")

I think any time a logo is changed it's a good idea to think it through thoroughly, because it's something you don't want to do too often. So thanks for sharing the reasons behind this one. Are there any other things we should be considering before a change?

I like that it's a circle, it slightly suggests the "O" of "open." I like (but others might not?) that it is simply "School of Open," and leaves the "P2PU" connection for people to find out if they choose to click around -- rather than wondering what P2PU is if they encounter SOO outside its space. (This is particularly relevant in our course -- we have had so many "host/sponsor" type organizations -- P2PU, SOO, Hewlett, U. Mississippi, Wikipedia... -- that it's been hard to communicate it all to our students!

I like that it's simple.

I like that it can pass for both "fun" and "serious." I would feel proud to show this on my most professional web profile, but it would also be at home in a more whimsical setting. Awesome job walking that line, it's not easy to do!!

I have always found the padlock a little weird -- to me the first thing that pops into my head is "LOCKED" or "CLOSED," and it takes a moment to notice that it's unlocked and intends "open." BUT, this has obviously taken off in the Open Access world, and it's probably best to stick with it! (Plus, I really don't have a better suggestion.)

Side point -- Jane,  have you or anybody ever asked about having the padlock released under CC0? I did that with the source file of the WIKISOO Burba Badge, which also required attribution, and I think the creator was appreciative that I pointed out a problem that he hadn't been aware of.

-Pete

Billy Meinke

Mar 19, 2014, 1:08:20 PM3/19/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
Really like the color-use that Tim's put out, and the feedback Pete gave.

Question: Is this logo meant to jump the SOO in line with the other P2PU schools (webcraft, education) branding-wise, and if so, can we see the logos they are working on or planning to use? The padlock icon has meaning for those of us in these circles, but may not be obvious to newcomers. The Open Access logo that PLOS created is CC0, which might be a good option.

The design feature that I'd selfishly like to see is depth, some sense of shading (like badges have) or shadow (like the shield had) on the logo.

Like the discussion on this.

Billy

Jane Park

Mar 19, 2014, 8:24:41 PM3/19/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 7:57 PM, Pete Forsyth <petef...@gmail.com> wrote:
Great!

I agree with Tim -- I like his colors better, the light green is a little neon-y and over the top. (Maybe this displays differently on different monitors/browsers/OS's? Or maybe just "different strokes for different folks!")

I think any time a logo is changed it's a good idea to think it through thoroughly, because it's something you don't want to do too often. So thanks for sharing the reasons behind this one. Are there any other things we should be considering before a change?

Suggestions? SOO's current logo isn't exactly widely recognized yet.. so it would be good to make improvements before we achieve world domination!

I like that it's a circle, it slightly suggests the "O" of "open." I like (but others might not?) that it is simply "School of Open," and leaves the "P2PU" connection for people to find out if they choose to click around -- rather than wondering what P2PU is if they encounter SOO outside its space. (This is particularly relevant in our course -- we have had so many "host/sponsor" type organizations -- P2PU, SOO, Hewlett, U. Mississippi, Wikipedia... -- that it's been hard to communicate it all to our students!

Good to know!

I like that it's simple.

Yay!

I like that it can pass for both "fun" and "serious." I would feel proud to show this on my most professional web profile, but it would also be at home in a more whimsical setting. Awesome job walking that line, it's not easy to do!!

Woo!

I have always found the padlock a little weird -- to me the first thing that pops into my head is "LOCKED" or "CLOSED," and it takes a moment to notice that it's unlocked and intends "open." BUT, this has obviously taken off in the Open Access world, and it's probably best to stick with it! (Plus, I really don't have a better suggestion.)

Yeah. Maybe if we make the open unlocked space larger?

Side point -- Jane,  have you or anybody ever asked about having the padlock released under CC0? I did that with the source file of the WIKISOO Burba Badge, which also required attribution, and I think the creator was appreciative that I pointed out a problem that he hadn't been aware of.

That's a good point. In this case though, I think Erika is already tinkering away so probably easiest for us to just recreate our own icon!

Jane Park

Mar 19, 2014, 8:28:55 PM3/19/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 10:08 AM, Billy Meinke <billy....@creativecommons.org> wrote:
Really like the color-use that Tim's put out, and the feedback Pete gave.

Question: Is this logo meant to jump the SOO in line with the other P2PU schools (webcraft, education) branding-wise, and if so, can we see the logos they are working on or planning to use?

The other schools vary widely and use the very old badges template back when Schools were more of a thing. Now SOD has its own thing. SOW is kinda nonexistent. And SOE is kinda on its own too. Erika told me that this design is def more in line with the current P2PU style.

The padlock icon has meaning for those of us in these circles, but may not be obvious to newcomers. The Open Access logo that PLOS created is CC0, which might be a good option.

Yeah -- we discussed using this back when we created the first logo and decided against it b/c we might be associated with OA movement, which though is included within our efforts, isn't the sum of it.

The design feature that I'd selfishly like to see is depth, some sense of shading (like badges have) or shadow (like the shield had) on the logo.

Hmm.. I'll pass on these and others points to Erika!

Jane Park

Mar 19, 2014, 8:30:42 PM3/19/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Erika Pogorelc
Thanks everyone for your feedback! Anyone else wanna add their two cents before Erika takes these into account?

Sara Frank Bristow

Mar 19, 2014, 8:44:19 PM3/19/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Erika Pogorelc

Hi all. I like the idea of an update, and I like the open lock motif very much as it is used here. Its "unlocked" connotation was clear to me right away (but I have probably seen this around before and never consciously processed it).

One thing that occurs to me that the old logo immediately suggests "academia" to me while the new one does not. I suppose I have forged some psychological link between a crest shape and an educational institution?

As for color, personally I do not find the lime green too harsh, but I am unusually fond of this color in online applications, so probably biased. :)

Hope that is useful. Go team!

Sara

Erika Pogorelc

Apr 15, 2014, 6:44:22 AM4/15/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Erika Pogorelc
Hi all,

I have made a new logo suggestion according to your feedback. Changed the neon green to something that is not quite what Tim suggested but it is near.

I prepared also a different padlock since the issue of not being clear that it is an unlock padlock, something to consider. The first one is the padlock almost like existing one but with the tilted head and second one is just a bit different. Personaly I prefer second one, or not the tilted one at all. I both did them myself, so we can adapt. I can incorporate drop shadow, but will do that on the next stage.

Please give feedback soon.

Thanks,

Erika

Erika Pogorelc

Apr 15, 2014, 6:49:09 AM4/15/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Erika Pogorelc
I guess the images are not shown in the mails, so in attachment again all three of them.

Erika
soo-logo-new-260x260-new-green.png
soo-logo-new-260x260-tilted.png
soo-logo-new-260x260-tilted-diff-lock.png

Timothy Gaudette

Apr 15, 2014, 10:10:51 AM4/15/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Erika Pogorelc

Hi Erika,

Looks good. I like the new green a lot.

I'm torn on the lock. I agree that it should be the original or the 2nd tilted one. I like the size of the original lock but the unlocked aspect is more apparent. Maybe increase the size of the new lock?

-Tim on the Go

Jane Park

Apr 15, 2014, 11:44:33 AM4/15/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Erika Pogorelc
Hey Erika! I'm a fan of the first one -- it's simpler. Maybe cut off a bit more of the lock handle so it's more apparent it is unlocked? The slantedness of the lock seems a bit off in the new ones.

Pete Forsyth

Apr 15, 2014, 11:56:36 AM4/15/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Erika Pogorelc
I think these all look great! Well done Erika.

I prefer the slanted ones -- to my eyes, it's a subtle way to emphasize the openness. Since most padlocks don't function that way, it draws your attention to the openness. It also just feels a little...fun.

But I trust your judgment -- I'd be happy with any of these!

Pete

Billy Meinke

Apr 15, 2014, 12:28:16 PM4/15/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Erika Pogorelc
Looks good, #2 gets my vote.

Thanks Erika!

--
http://schoolofopen.org

Billy Meinke
Project Assistant
Education at Creative Commons

Sujith Reddy

Apr 15, 2014, 12:40:36 PM4/15/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Erika Pogorelc
Yes. i would choose #2, too!

Sujith Reddy
Twitter: @SujithReddyM

Get Involved with Mozilla! Give a hi5 to us!

Erika Pogorelc

Apr 16, 2014, 12:24:27 PM4/16/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Carl Ruppin
Dear friends, thank you for all the kind words!

So we have narrowed down the logo selection to two final choices. If you would please put in your vote for one of the two logos in attachment again, I will be a happy person.

Erika
soo-logo-new-260x260-new-green.png
soo-logo-new-260x260-tilted.png

Jane Park

Apr 16, 2014, 12:32:47 PM4/16/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Carl Ruppin
Let's give everyone til the end of the week (Fri) to place their votes.

I'm also going to forward to CC community lists for their input (as they may not check this specific list in time).

Pete Forsyth

Apr 16, 2014, 12:50:46 PM4/16/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Carl Ruppin
My vote is for the tilted one (#2) -- but I'd be happy with either. Great work Erika!

Pete

Christina Hendricks

Apr 16, 2014, 4:01:35 PM4/16/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
I vote for the first one, but like Pete, would be happy with either!

Christina Hendricks

Timothy Gaudette

Apr 17, 2014, 6:06:09 AM4/17/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com

Looking good!

I vote for #1 (untilted).

-Tim on the Go

Sara Frank Bristow

Apr 24, 2014, 5:16:08 PM4/24/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jane et al.,

Has a final decision been made about the logo? We're placing it in our WIKISOO presentation slides for OER14 next week in Newcastle and I wasn't sure if I should go with the old one or the new one!

Thanks much.
Sara

Jane Park

Apr 24, 2014, 5:22:29 PM4/24/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
We're still working on it. We got some feedback regarding shape of lock so may tinker and replace it. I'd just go with old one for now!

Sara Frank Bristow

Apr 24, 2014, 6:01:00 PM4/24/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com

Jane Park

May 28, 2014, 2:08:15 PM5/28/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
Ok - we've updated the SOO logo! About an even number of people liked the slanted versus unslanted so I went ahead and made an executive decision to go with unslanted. We also got some feedback regarding the styling of the lock and other stuff. I think we've pretty much settled on the new logo now which is at http://schoolofopen.p2pu.org/ so you can see how it works with the color scheme.

If there are any strong objections at this point to the logo, please chime in here. Otherwise, this is going to be the new SOO logo!

Thanks a ton to Erika for her work on this.

Cheers,
Jane

V2_border_change.png

Christina Hendricks

May 28, 2014, 4:10:04 PM5/28/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
I think this looks great! Thanks, Erika! The colour works just fine with the rest of the colours on the site, I think, even though it's not the same as any of those colours. I don't think it clashes.

Christina

Christina Hendricks

<V2_border_change.png>

Timothy Gaudette

May 28, 2014, 6:02:40 PM5/28/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com

Looks great!

-Tim on the Go

Laura Hilliger

Jun 2, 2014, 6:27:49 AM6/2/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
The new logo is great. Clean, open <3!!

I've updated it on the Webmaker Training site too :) Great work everyone!

--Laura

Laura Hilliger
@epilepticrabbit
Awesome - thanks!

Sara

Jane Park

Jun 2, 2014, 11:41:39 AM6/2/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com, Erika Pogorelc
Woo! Ok, sounds like everyone likes it. It also got a vote from CC's communications team (one person). :)

Ok, unless there are any dissenters today, I will consider it a finished logo and work on getting dif versions of it available for folks to add as icons/buttons, in high res, etc., and update p2pu.org accordingly.