Screened Rain Barrels

Henriksen, Rebekka

Apr 7, 2021, 12:35:18 PM4/7/21
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi there,

Does anyone have recommendations for an affordable screened rain barrel you like? I don't have down spouts to connect, these would be free standing rain barrels in our school gardens but need screens for safety, especially as our grounds are not fenced and the wider community roams on them.

Thanks for any feedback!

Rebekka Henriksen
Zoller School Garden Coordinator/Educator &
Farm to School Grant Facilitator
Schenectady City School District
518-929-8590

Linda Sternin

Apr 11, 2021, 7:54:54 PM4/11/21
to Henriksen, Rebekka, School Garden Support Organization Network
I am interested in this as well for our community and school garden!

--
READ BEFORE REPLYING:
You can reply to the whole Google Group, just the sender, or both. When replying to this message make sure to check your recipient address line to confirm you are responding to who you want to be responding to.

--
Linda M. Sternin M.S. CCC-SLP
Speech- Language Pathologist

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE. This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential information which is privileged and protected from disclosure by Federal and State confidentiality laws, rules or regulations. This e-mail and attachments, if any, are intended for the designated addressee only . If you are not the designated addressee, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this e-mail and its attachments, if any, may be unlawful and may subject you to legal consequences. If you have received this e-mail and attachments in error, please contact Kenmore-Town of Tonawanda UFSD immediately at (716) 874-8400 and delete the e-mail and its attachments.

Heidi Auel

Apr 12, 2021, 9:20:45 AM4/12/21
to Linda Sternin, Henriksen, Rebekka, School Garden Support Organization Network
We have these in our school garden, freestanding:
image.png
They are available at Home Depot here. Our state regulations for food safety prohibit using rain barrels to water vegetables that are used in farm to school operations, however. I do use it for our pollinator garden .
We also have tried Rainsaucers. I had a difficult time keeping them secure in the wind, but it is a good option if you do not have a downspout.

--
Heidi Auel
Discovery Woods School

Henriksen, Rebekka

Apr 12, 2021, 9:27:11 AM4/12/21
to Heidi Auel, School Garden Support Organization Network
Oh these are nice - thanks I was not aware of this product. Have you found it easy to fill watering cans from it without a base? I love those rain saucers but we live in such a windy area I think they would not last long! Thanks so much.

Rebekka Henriksen

Farm to School Grant Facilitator
Schenectady City School District
518-929-8590

Ben

Apr 12, 2021, 9:58:01 AM4/12/21
to Henriksen, Rebekka, Heidi Auel, School Garden Support Organization Network
Instead of buying something new from home depot, I suggest anyone interested in a rain barrel should seriously look at repurposing used food grade barrels,...

https://www.amazon.com/Grade-Barrel-Washed-Perfect-Gallon/dp/B076R6S2VH

In my neck of the woods so to speak (San Diego), I've been able to find a local business that sells used food grade barrels

A study in San Diego asked if people could identify the scientific reason why climate change is happening

The findings sadly no one could correctly answer the question

www.ThereIsNoPlanet-b.org

Make science in America great again

Henriksen, Rebekka

Apr 12, 2021, 11:04:12 AM4/12/21
to Ben, Heidi Auel, School Garden Support Organization Network
I would totally do this but don't feel handy enough and I can't always find a handy person to help me with these projects! But I do love DIY rainbarrels.

Rebekka Henriksen
Farm to School Grant Facilitator
Schenectady City School District
518-929-8590

to Henriksen, Rebekka, School Garden Support Organization Network
Yes, filling watering cans works fine. The spigot is high enough, though we only have 1 gallon cans I think. I also have been thinking of attaching a soaker hose and using that when needed but haven't gotten that far yet.