Kirsten Saylor

Apr 14, 2020, 4:58:01 PM4/14/20
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hello Upper Midwesterners!

Do you have any recommendations for Cover Crop Combos for school gardens that won't be able to be planted to crops and/or won't have reliable access to water this season?  Here's parameters...
  • Increase soil fertility (namely N and OM)
  • For Raised Beds (18" or higher)
  • Watered by mother-nature
  • (bonus) good for pollinators
  • (bonus) good on the eyes (pretty)
  • Needs tending once every two weeks or even less often

Ideally, I would have between 2-4 combos we could use so that students can see variety and we can talk about the roles.  At least one of them should be one that a number of farmers use.

Any thoughts?  Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!  Stay Healthy!

Warm wishes in snowy Minnesota, Kirsten (snowy enough!)

Quina Weber-Shirk

Apr 15, 2020, 9:15:30 AM4/15/20
to Kirsten Saylor, School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Kirsten!

There are some great resources about cover crops for community gardeners in North Carolina (zone 7), that might be adaptable for your school gardens. Buckwheat or cowpeas and millet are commonly recommended summer cover crops here.

Best,

Quina Weber-Shirk | she/ her
Extension Agent, Community and School Gardens
Guilford County Center
N.C. Cooperative Extension
Work cell: 336.525.6112

Add your community or learning garden to the Guilford County Community Garden directory! Fill out the form at: https://go.ncsu.edu/guilford-cg-directory.

Rick Sherman

Apr 15, 2020, 11:20:13 AM4/15/20
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Kirsten,

Don't know about "upper MW" but in the Pacific NW we do a lot of crimson clover.  looks beautiful, great pollinator, nitrogen fixator, and can be tilled in without it re-seeding.

Trifolium incarnatum, Crimean Clover, Crimson Clover, Italian Clover, Napoleons
cc.JPG

Amanda Rieux

Apr 15, 2020, 4:50:18 PM4/15/20
to Rick Sherman, School Garden Support Organization Network
Peaceful valley soil builder mix is a great combo.
It provides biomass production, grass roots for good tilth, some nitrogen fixing and blooms for beneficial insects.
Bell beans, cowpeas, oats, vetch.
They have several other options too. Their website has detailed descriptions of the various characteristics of cover crops.

Amanda
Māla’ai
Hawaii Island

Sent from my iPhone

Laurie

Apr 15, 2020, 5:08:46 PM4/15/20
to Amanda Rieux, Rick Sherman, School Garden Support Organization Network

I am in Iowa. If you contact Albert Lea Seed in Minnesota, they are very helpful recommending cover crop mixes that will work for your situation. In the winter I use Winter Max (rye, vetch, radish) for my school gardens.  You may also find the information you are seeking if you go to the Midwest Cover Crop Council website or visit Cooperative Extension websites for your state.

Our school district has not made a decision about the rest of the year so I am hoping to get crops planted in the gardens.

Happy gardening,

Laurie Taylor

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Laurie

Peaceful valley soil builder mix is a great combo.

Kathryn Brignac

Apr 15, 2020, 5:16:42 PM4/15/20
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Kirsten,

I just ordered some Phacelia tanacetifolia (Blue Tansy/ Bee Plant) to cover crop here in NY. I picked it because it attracts pollinators, is drought tolerant and can be used in cut flower bouquets. Looks like it also fixes N. Might be a good one to add to the list.

Best,
Kathryn