paying for taste-test supplies: instructional vs nutrition budgets?

ebke...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2020, 11:59:38 AM11/2/20
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi SG supporters, sharing a question from a Farm-to-School conversation:

"...how to fund taste test supplies. The teachers / administrators will say it's the nutrition program's responsibility and vice versa. This is something I feel like I should have the answer to but don't. What do you folks see in your schools or what has worked out best in the past?"

Thanks for any strategies, anecdotes, budget insights or other info!
Liz

Liz Kenton
(she/her)
Youth Agriculture Project coordinator
UVM Extension 4-H
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences

liz.k...@uvm.edu, 802-257-7967 x308
130 Austine Dr., Suite 300
Brattleboro, VT 05301

Linda S. Law-Saunders

Nov 2, 2020, 12:01:47 PM11/2/20
to ebke...@gmail.com, School Garden Support Organization Network

Cornell Cooperative Extension- Washington County’s Food & Fiber program is free to the schools that we program in.

We use CCE-Washington funds.

-L-

Linda S. Law-Saunders
Family & Consumer Sciences and Ag & Food Systems Educator

Cornell Cooperative Extension | Washington County

ls...@cornell.edu | 518-746-2560

Laurie Taylor

Nov 2, 2020, 1:39:48 PM11/2/20
to ebke...@gmail.com, School Garden Support Organization Network, Linda S. Law-Saunders
Hello,

We use ingredients from the school gardens for our fall harvest tasting parties at the schools I serve. I do write supplies and additional ingredients into grants or ask for donations from stores, etc. Last year we had an issue when someone stole all our produce from one garden a week before our tasting party. I went to the PTO officers at that school and they were able to fund what I wasn't able to get from one of the other school gardens.

Laurie Taylor
School Garden Coordinator- Unity, Spalding Park, Riverside, and Loess Hills elementary schools
Sioux City, Iowa