Program Fee Structures

lzma...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2020, 6:11:05 PM9/11/20
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hello all,

Is there already a thread or file somewhere that shows various school garden program fee structures.  We are looking to restructure our fee scale to reduce the giant gap we have to make up each year through grants.  I would love to see any price sheets or program fee information that anyone is willing to share.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can share!

Peace & health,

Lauren

PEAS (Austin)

Erika Kuhr

Sep 14, 2020, 2:26:57 PM9/14/20
to lzma...@gmail.com, School Garden Support Organization Network
A good way to start is understanding the program costs.
- cost for educators/gardeners.
- Insurance costs per student per visit. For our farm field trip program we have to give the insurance company an estimate of "day camp" visits, so it has cost in the past about $4/student just to come to the farm for 2-4 hours.

Then add on top of insurance costs, educator costs and hopefully you can keep other costs down and out of formula by having funding that pays for costs to keep gardens going and other overhead like rent, utilities.

Important to start by knowing your annual costs and expenses then go from there.

Thank you kindly,

Erika Kuhr

"Our mission is to practice and teach regenerative agricultural education programs."

lzma...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2020, 9:45:00 AM9/15/20
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Thanks!  Every bit of info is helpful.

Sue Davis

Sep 15, 2020, 12:37:07 PM9/15/20
to lzma...@gmail.com, School Garden Support Organization Network
I'm very interested in seeing this too.
Thanks to everyone who is willing to share!

--
Sue Davis
Executive Director

School Garden Network | schoolgardens.org
PO BOX 1367 | Sebastopol, CA 95473 | (707) 861-0593

School Garden Network (SGN)
P.O. Box 1367, Sebastopol, CA 95473   | 707-861-0593

Lindsey LeCuyer

Apr 27, 2021, 1:24:24 PM4/27/21
to School Garden Support Organization Network
I'm glad to see this conversation happening!  We are in a similar position - we support 18 school gardens (have been up to 21), who make a financial contribution that amounts to about 10% of our program cost, and we fundraise the rest.  We, too, need to close that 90% gap.

Right now our program costs are about $7500 per school.  That includes garden support (with ideally a lot of volunteer hours put in by the school community), lesson plans and materials for every grade, and structure and scheduling tools that allow every student in the school to learn in the garden, and password protected access to our website to share calendar and contact info.  We are a small staff of 6, ranging from 10 hours/week in season, to 30 hours/week year round.  No office (just a storage unit), so overhead is very small.

One of the things we're trying to figure out is "how much can/will schools pay"?  Currently our average is $750.  I'd love to have a sense of what schools around the country are paying for similar programming.

Thanks, all!
Lindsey LeCuyer
Program Director